Will ION2 bitstream DTS-MA an CO ?
Nvidia will release the ION 2 soon, but i found no info about the Bitream support. My wish is a HTPC like the Asrock 330 with bitream support for DTS HD/MA and TrueHD.
The hardware decoder on Ion boards handles video decoding, not audio. Things like DTS are handled in software by XBMC. Ion 2 (and any other PC) will handle whatever audio XBMC has software for.
But why is it at the moment not possible to give the DTS-HD/MA and TrueHD via bitstream (over hdmi) to my receiver ? My dream HTPC must have this Feature! Smile
There is no HTPC out there with this ?
For HDMI to be able to pass-through DTS-HD/MA and Dolby TrueHD all equipment must support at least the HDMI 1.3 spec. The ION chipset by itself does support HDMI 1.3.
Ok, but where is then the problem ? XBMC ?
I think the problem is mainly with NVIDIA being about 3 generations behind ATI in terms of HDMI audio integration. ATI is just now releasing cards (5780 series) with bitstream support for TrueHD and DTS-MA, so (going on past trends) maybe in a couple of years NVIDIA can catch up. Unfortunately VDPAU support pretty much ties you to NVIDIA cards if you want hardware video acceleration in Linux. The alternative is letting XBMC in Windows launch an external player.
IsleOfMan Wrote:I think the problem is mainly with NVIDIA being about 3 generations behind ATI in terms of HDMI audio integration. ATI is just now releasing cards (5780 series) with bitstream support for TrueHD and DTS-MA, so (going on past trends) maybe in a couple of years NVIDIA can catch up. Unfortunately VDPAU support pretty much ties you to NVIDIA cards if you want hardware video acceleration in Linux. The alternative is letting XBMC in Windows launch an external player.

The problem with TrueHD & DTS-HD MA is its a protected audio path and you can bet your life even with that card your still be limited as to which software can make use of those two audio formats at least for now

Up until the 5780 nvidia and ati were equal in their audio capabilities over hdmi, in any case if it wasn't protected we could all be enjoying both those formats now on any hardware
Check out the ffdshow forum on doom9 (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=120465).

One of the devs (Albain) has succeeded in bitstream TrueHD and DTS-HD via the ATI 5xxx and Asus Xonar cards, without PAP! He's still ironing out the build however it's gonna be the first open source solution for HD audio bitstreaming.

Albain is the man!!!

Hopefully once Albain has completed the build, the XBMC devs can take a look at ffdshow (and maybe confer with Albain) and introduce TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstreaming in XBMC?

Come to think of it, as mplayer is based on the ffmpeg project, they would maybe have to bring it to mplayer first. As both projects are closely linked (ffdshow is based on ffmpeg codecs) hopefully it won't be long!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Will ION2 bitstream DTS-MA an CO ?0