Gracefuly degrading skin
I'm trying to 'gracefully degrade' my skin so that users that don't have the correct version of XBMC for a function to work can have the menu item 'turned off'. Thus far I have tried the following code, but it always returns true, can anyone give me some idea of how to go about this.

PHP Code:
<control type="label">
                <
description>Test graceful degrade</description>
                <
posx>650</posx>
                <
posy>340</posy>
                <
width>400</width>
                <
align>right</align>                
                <
label>Test</label>
                <
font>font13</font>
                <
textcolor>button-text</textcolor>
                <
visible>IntegerGreaterThan(System.BuildVersion,21923)</visible>                
            </
control
I know again that I could probably looks after this with a short script, but as the problem with my users is that they can't run scripts in my skin as I am using special:// addressing to point to my scripts, this would not solve the problem.

Wyrm (xTV SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
as far as i know, you can only use the IntegerGreaterThan function on infolabels that are integers.

on my pc System.BuildVersion returns: 9.11-alpha2 r24924M
so there's no way you can use that with IntegerGreaterThan.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I would like to point out for a laugh factor he said Degrading his skin not Down Grading Smile
Jezz_X Wrote:I would like to point out for a laugh factor he said Degrading his skin not Down Grading Smile

Jezz_X,

Yep, have to say it does feel degrading to have to do this, but I keep seeing :

"I'm using the latest version of XBMC, but 'x' is not working, what have you done".

what I have done is to mod a classic lightweight skin so that it's more usable for unsophisticated users. I've made a rod for my own back to be sure, but if I can do something to cut back on the above mentioned forum postings, that can only be good.

Wyrm (xTV SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

ronie Wrote:as far as i know, you can only use the IntegerGreaterThan function on infolabels that are integers.

on my pc System.BuildVersion returns: 9.11-alpha2 r24924M
so there's no way you can use that with IntegerGreaterThan.

ronie,

Yes I kind of suspected that was the case, was kind of hoping (hell of a longshot I know) that I could get away with this. Or that someone might have a solution that I had not thought of.

Having said that, the main problem would seem to be that because I am using special:// to point to scripts, if the user is running a build from before svn 21000 or so, XBMC will not find the script.

After thinking about it some more I came up with the solution to write a script to create a 'skin string' and just check for it's existence. If I can't find the string, it means the user is using a pre svn21000 build, so tell the user to upgrade and don't show any setting that requires a script. Glad to say that works, so that is what I will be going with for the time being.

Just the same, I would like to come up with a better more general solution as there will be an issue for users with the renaming of audio type flags.

What are other people doing in this case (surely others have had issues as described above)?

Wyrm (xTV SAF)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gracefuly degrading skin0