Camelot Beta 1 MCE remote support
I've added support for the Windows Media Center remote to the Camelot Beta 1 release. You can get the modified version here:

http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/camelot-b1.zip

Note that the URL is case sensitive.
The zip includes installation instructions and details on the modification.

Strictly speaking this isn't the Beta 1 release as it's build 24925, but it's pretty close. Don't use this release for bug checking. Use the official Beta 1 build instead. This is just for checking your MCE remote still works.

JR
I'm not having much luck using this.

Running win 7 64bit the exe fails to load.
Slim Jim Wrote:I'm not having much luck using this.

Hmm, I'm using it on Server 2008 R2 x64, which is very similar to Windows 7 x 64. How did you "install" my version?

JR
I'm using Win 7 x64 as well, and I had no problem with it. Ditto on the installation question.

Also, this is my first try at using your mod, jh. After applying the .reg you posted on the alpha2 thread, most of my keys work, but volume up and down still don't do anything. Is that expected behavior?
natethomas Wrote:I'm using Win 7 x64 as well, and I had no problem with it. Ditto on the installation question.

Also, this is my first try at using your mod, jh. After applying the .reg you posted on the alpha2 thread, most of my keys work, but volume up and down still don't do anything. Is that expected behavior?

Hi Nate,

I think the config on my web site hasn't modified the volume functions. By default they don't send a keystroke. The standard keyboard alternatives are F10 for vol up and F9 for vol down and you to configure the remote to send these modify the lines starting "10" and "11" to be:

10,00,00,00,04,00,43,\ ; MOD: vol up - was "01,e9,00" mapped to F10
11,00,00,00,04,00,42,\ ; MOD: vol down - was "01,ea,00" mapped to F9

However my mods to XBMC don't process these because they aren't in the XBMC keymap and I'd need to modify more than just KeyboardStat.cpp. I will look into supporting the volume control once Camelot is released. For now I use the remote control on my amplifier to control the volume :-)

JR

PS I've put the updated config(s) on my web site http://www.ratsauce.plus.com/xbmc.htm
Question; Normally if you just plug in a MCE remote into windows the basic buttons work, like up/down etc. If your version of XBMC is started, will the remote be "taken over" by XBMC? I.e could I run XBMC on a different monitor, controlling it with the MCE remote without interfering at all with what I am doing on the other display(s) (i.e interfering with mouse and keyboard).

Thanks.
@phunqe: XBMC just sees the remote as a keyboard. It doesn't take it over in any way. If you have XBMC running in the background and something else has the focus then whatever program has the focus will continue to receive "keystrokes" from the remote.

This is assuming you haven't installed EventGhost or IR Server Suite or anything else that fiddles with the remote.

I feel a Wiki article coming on. "Zen and the Art of Media Center remote controls" possibly.

JR
Cheers for the reply.
Slim Jim Wrote:I'm not having much luck using this.

I'm also running Win7 and the .exe gets me an error. I'm renaming the original .exe and copying over yours to the XBMC install folder...
@AboveBeyond: Can you enable debug logging then put the log somewhere I can download it. Don't post it here as it's a bit long! Alternative you can mail it to john.rennie (AT) ratsauce.co.uk.

It's a bit weird you're getting an error as I've just tried Win7x64 (on a Revo 3600) and it worked fine.

JR
@AboveBeyond and jhsrennie, pastebin.com is always a great place to post a debug log.
@abovebeyond: I've tried my modified version on Win7 x64 (on a Revo 3600) and it worked as expected. How did you install it? The correct way is to install the official Camelot Beta 1 then copy in my XBMC.exe.

JR
This looks great.

Any tips on how I could get the remote to start xbmc without eventghost or ir server installed? I also use MCE for TV.

Thanks
bnb Wrote:This looks great.

Any tips on how I could get the remote to start xbmc without eventghost or ir server installed? I also use MCE for TV.

Thanks

You still need a third party app (ie eventghost, etc) to start xbmc remotely. XBMC would need to have a module added (memory resident) to load it and atm nobody has created one.
bnb Wrote:Any tips on how I could get the remote to start xbmc without eventghost or ir server installed? I also use MCE for TV.

Dead easy :-)

First grab and install the new version of Remote-XBMC.reg that's on my web site. This will configure your remote (assuming it's an MS remote or fully compatible) to send ctrl-shift-X when you press the green Windows button. Then modify the XBMC shortcut in your Start menu and set ctrl-shift-X as the shortcut key.

Now whenever you press the Windows button on the remote XBMC will start.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Camelot Beta 1 MCE remote support0