• 3(current)
XBMCLive 9.11 Beta1 released
vikjon0 Wrote:I am guessing it is possible to access expert mode by adding the switch with the 'e' function?

add priority=low to the kernel parameters
Quote:add priority=low to the kernel parameters
Thank you!

I see there is a "Live" option I have never seen before. I assume it is similar to your own "removable" option.
Perhaps it is possible to add also this to the grub menu and bring that back.

Me, I am happy with expert mode I always use with Ubuntu.
Quote:add priority=low to the kernel parameters
Ok, I spoke too early. This version of debian installer installs the boot thingie directly to HD0 without asking. In the version on Ubuntu 9.10 there is two more steps after you select to install grub. First you select grub2 or legacy and then where to write the boot sector.

Luckily I tried it in vmware.

Anyone knows if this is the version of the installer or a setting?
Everything is working for me, except my internal dvd-rom stop mounting. An external will work.
hmm got an "Error 2: share not available" message after copying my database back over, and when trying to access an SMB share Sad time to reinstall and try from scratch.
Also not getting any audio... after a second reinstall. gonna keep working on this, as when i first tried installing it I had audio... will post back later, going to reinstall AGAIN
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
I tired to create a bootable flash drive instead of burning the image on a cd using unetbootin it booted fine but setup fails right after selecting keyboard because it can't mount a cd-rom drive,

anyone else experienced something like this?
outleradam Wrote:I just aptitude update, aptitude upgrade and my live computer now has no network Sad BOO!!!!!! what the heck am I supposed to do now?

edit: So I burned a disk with xbmc live. it ran me through the entire ubuntu setup, formatting my data. I liked the easy install that was included with A2. much more clean.

i agree, why abandoned the old auto installer in favor of 10+ screens? did people complain they didnt have enff control? isnt the point of having a LIVE edition is to be able to test out XBMC in the quickest way possible (ie run from USB or install without going thru a complicated installer)? i also ran into the SMB share problem on my acer revo so im back to alpha 1 which why has its share of issues, at least i can talk to my SMB share without issue ...
altern8 Wrote:i agree, why abandoned the old auto installer in favor of 10+ screens? did people complain they didnt have enff control? isnt the point of having a LIVE edition is to be able to test out XBMC in the quickest way possible (ie run from USB or install without going thru a complicated installer)? i also ran into the SMB share problem on my acer revo so im back to alpha 1 which why has its share of issues, at least i can talk to my SMB share without issue ...

totally agree. the old Live installer was so easy to do, even a linux noob like me had 0 issues installing. Now I've got all these choices i know nothing about, and i've had hard-to-reproduce issues occur after installation I've got beta1 for jaunty installed just fine from an image I took, so I guess I'll stick with that, although karmic started up MUCH faster, until camelot is either in beta 2, or released.
Board: Zotac ION-A-U Case: M350 Mini ITX Memory: 4GB Patriot PC6400 OS: XBMC on OpenELEC.tv build 6936 on a Corsair 32GB SSD Media Storage: W2K8 running on 14TB RAID 5 on an Asrock board w/ AMD Athlon X2 250 and PERC 6/I controller w/ 8 Samsung HD204UI Green drives Time to interface from power switch: 22.4 seconds.
While I understand the need for flexibility I do agree with others that I liked how simple the old installer was.
vikjon0 Wrote:This version of debian installer installs the boot thingie directly to HD0 without asking.

This should be caused by the fact that if you don't have any other OS on the disk d-i is instructed (with the preseed file) to install onto the MBR. With a preexisting OS on the disk it should ask - I had this myself once.
Question 
I've got an ATI HD3600 and tried to run live version. I chose ATI/AMD at first screen, then XBMC started loading (screen with animated ..hmm.. flower (or smth similar) appeared) after some time the screen went black and that's all. Nothing showed up. Sad
Any suggestions?
Quote:While I understand the need for flexibility I do agree with others that I liked how simple the old installer was.

I can understand this, but this is only a beta version. With a guide and FAQ it will be very simple to use. Perhaps it is also possible to add an installation option that is more simple ( priority=critical). You still will have to select if you want resize the disk and add xbmc beside existing system or use the entire disk.

There is many advantages with this installer.
- correct keyboard layout
- you can keep you media on a separate partition and install a new live without overwrite
- you can have /home on a separate partition and keep you settings when upgrading
First of all a heap of respect for all the work. Some observations from me trying to install the beta1 to my harddisk (Asrock 330)

First time around went flawless! I just messed up myself when editting the fixed ip adress AFTER installation (remote keyboard went weird and inserted a mess just when I pressed save)

I reinstalled, again using complete harddisk and encountered two errors:

1) when setting up the user, I get an option to encrypt the home dir. The text says that it's seemless so I selected YES this time. I then got a red error saying user setup had failed. I tried again, selected no, and I could go on

2) after rebooting my remote now didnt work. First time around it did. I rebooted but that didn't help either. I am clueless why, so running install again now. I have a HP MCE remote that works as a microsoft remote. I'll let you know if it now works again.

Then a question: I recall on my first manual install using a script three months back that I created two users: xbmc first, and then another. During this install I only get asked once to create a user, I assume that that doesn't have to be XBMC? Don't know if XBMC counts on such a folder being present

And a remark: I'd really like to be able to setup a fixed ip adress during install. As my mess with vi explains. When I got the user account error I saw a large menu that had network settings in it. Can I somehow setup a fixed ip adress during install?
Quote:And a remark: I'd really like to be able to setup a fixed ip adress during install. As my mess with vi explains. When I got the user account error I saw a large menu that had network settings in it. Can I somehow setup a fixed ip adress during install?

Add priority=low to kernel options in boot menu.
Edit2: I think you can also get this larger menu by selecting "go back" in e.g. the partition step?

EDIT:
To get an easy installation without questions about encryption and stuff add priority=critical instead.
You see the problem for the developers? It is not easy make everybody happy...
Absolutely. My feedback is also meant as feedback, definitely not criticism! Will make a donation also. Least I can do

Small update: third install and remote doesn't work. Install went fine. Will look around on the forum to find solution or try again.

vikjon0 Wrote:Add priority=low to kernel options in boot menu.
Edit2: I think you can also get this larger menu by selecting "go back" in e.g. the partition step?

EDIT:
To get an easy installation without questions about encryption and stuff add priority=critical instead.
You see the problem for the developers? It is not easy make everybody happy...
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMCLive 9.11 Beta1 released0