• 8(current)
XBMC on Acer Revo 3610 & Windows 7
gswarriorfan Wrote:Anyone compare DXVA2 vs Broadcom performance in playing high bitrate 1080p files?

DXVA2 does not work well for me. I am trying 1080p MKVs of Blu-ray movies and the video stutters a lot and isn't really watchable. I'm not sure if other people are having more success than I am.

I'm running the second to last trunk version (I heard some people complaining about the one dated 3/1) and have a 3610 with Win7 64-bit.
Yes, it works in vista I'm fairly certain.

Also make sure you toggle the DXVA option in System > Video. It doesnt seem to autodetect it with some video cards.
gipper Wrote:Newb question:

I have an ion 330 platform.

Does the VDPAU acceleration work the same under VISTA as it does 7? I have a spare vista license, but no 7 license.

Running linux with an xbmc autostart is obviously an option, but it's nice to have Word, Excel, etc available when I'd like it.

Well VDPAU is for linux only. So you'll want to look for DXVA for winodws instead.
What resolutions/refresh rate combinations do you see in the system/screen dropdown? I only see my current windows desktop settings (1920x1080@24Hz). Cannot get the other supported settings to show in the dropdown, so auto-refresh rate feature doesn't seem to work for me. I'm on Windows 7 x64. Does anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
HP Proliant Micorserver | ATI Radeon 5450 | El-cheapo USB Soundcard | Pioneer PDP-507XD
Squeezebox 3 (modded) | Arcam AVR350 | Arcam A85 | Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkII | Dynaudio Focus 200C | M&K K4 Tripoles | BK-Elec XXLS-400 Sub with Antimode
Hi everyone,

I just bought a Revo R3610 with the intention of streaming 720p videos over wifi on a 802.11-n network. I'm running Windows 7 x64. But whenever I start streaming something that big from my NAS the wifi connection drops from 130mb to sub-40, causing the video to buffer continuously and just generally be so choppy that it's unwatchable.

I was running XBMC on my Alienware m11x while I waited for my Revo to arrive and I never had any problems streaming with that - and that was even before I had my network set to n - I didn't even realise it had been running at g speeds until yesterday!

So anyway, can anyone offer any advice other than "use ethernet"? I bought this Revo over a Boxee Box for the XBMC software but I'm starting to regret it Sad

Thanks
make sure your revo actually supports 11n, a lot were advertised with 11n in sales blurb but ship with 11g cards as there are varying specs for ram, hdd, memory and wireless in the 3610 skus.

The revo wireless cards aren't meant to be the best, this is just anecdotal observation for me as I use lan on all mine, so check what speed is shown in network centre if you have a different card or usb adapter test with it.
I've set up an N only network and I've tried connecting to it on non-n devices and they can't, whereas although the revo's card isn't identified as n in Device Manager, it does connect okay and the connection speed in Resource Monitor is 130mb.

I've also tried an N usb dongle, but that has the same issue with streaming.

Thanks Smile
Hi all
I would like to ask a favour of all you R3610 owners.
Please could you run a global benchmark test in PC Wizard 2010 and report back your results. It's only a small download and the test should take less than 5 minutes to run.
I would be extremely grateful if I could get as many results as possible, I think my Revo is underperforming and I would like to compare results with others.
Please spare a few minutes to help me with this please guys.
Many thanks.
Jeff
Rumik Wrote:Hi everyone,

I just bought a Revo R3610 with the intention of streaming 720p videos over wifi on a 802.11-n network. I'm running Windows 7 x64. But whenever I start streaming something that big from my NAS the wifi connection drops from 130mb to sub-40, causing the video to buffer continuously and just generally be so choppy that it's unwatchable.

I was running XBMC on my Alienware m11x while I waited for my Revo to arrive and I never had any problems streaming with that - and that was even before I had my network set to n - I didn't even realise it had been running at g speeds until yesterday!

So anyway, can anyone offer any advice other than "use ethernet"? I bought this Revo over a Boxee Box for the XBMC software but I'm starting to regret it Sad

Thanks

What NAS are you using? have you benchmarked the NAS disk IO? and how big is the file? are you using 2Ghz band? I would
1) make sure to use N wifi dongle with N only mode
2) check the NAS IO performance with IOmeter.
3) Wireless streaming HD videos even at 720p is not going to be free of problems. Especially on 2Ghz band. You could try to stream videos with low bit rate, way low to the level of DVD ISO.
Rumik Wrote:I've set up an N only network and I've tried connecting to it on non-n devices and they can't, whereas although the revo's card isn't identified as n in Device Manager, it does connect okay and the connection speed in Resource Monitor is 130mb.

I've also tried an N usb dongle, but that has the same issue with streaming.

Thanks Smile

Hi Rumik

I have a Revo 3610 running windows 7 64bit and have the same problem as you, the wireless card in it is a pile of poo!! (yes its connected as n)

i even have trouble surfing the web let alone streaming. I've tested my wifi network using a laptop and my phone in the same area as the Revo and they work fine.

My solution was to drill a hole in the ceiling (my router is upstairs!) and use a wired connection... but you didnt want to hear that!

AK
I am streaming files to my Revo with limited success. Can anyone tell me what if any changes they made to the settings section of the Nvidia networking card?

I have the firewall disabled and am using a Wireless N router. My HTPC is plugged directly into this router. I am getting really slow file transfer speeds (ie 500 kbps).

(My router and host PC are both working fine)
silvine Wrote:I am streaming files to my Revo with limited success. Can anyone tell me what if any changes they made to the settings section of the Nvidia networking card?

I have the firewall disabled and am using a Wireless N router. My HTPC is plugged directly into this router. I am getting really slow file transfer speeds (ie 500 kbps).

(My router and host PC are both working fine)

What security protocol are you using on your Wireless Network? Unless you use AES encryption you won't get decent throughput.

If not already, change your security to WPA2-PSK with AES. I got a 4 times increase in throughput when I change my security settings.
Hey fellow 3610 users, I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a quick question?

I currently have my 3610 plugged into my AVR (VSX-921) which supports all hd and legacy audio formats.

However, my NVIDIA ion hdmi audio out setting on the revo shows supported formats as Dolby digital only?

Can any other ion users have a look at control panel/sound/NVIDIA hdmi and then Supported formats and let me know If yours too only displays Dolby digital as a supported format?

The bizarre things is, that it reports DD as the only supported format, but does inedd pas through the other formats (DTS) without any issue? So I'm majorly baffled with this one...

Any help appreciated,

P's.
If anyone knows how to manually add supported formats or to override these settings then please let me know as this would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Pat~

Revo 3610
Xbmc 10.1 dharma
Windows 7
NVIDIA drivers 280.26
ION->AVR->HDTV (via a hdmi 1.4a certified cable)
PatrickBateman Wrote:Hey fellow 3610 users, I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a quick question?

I currently have my 3610 plugged into my AVR (VSX-921) which supports all hd and legacy audio formats.

However, my NVIDIA ion hdmi audio out setting on the revo shows supported formats as Dolby digital only?

Can any other ion users have a look at control panel/sound/NVIDIA hdmi and then Supported formats and let me know If yours too only displays Dolby digital as a supported format?

The bizarre things is, that it reports DD as the only supported format, but does inedd pas through the other formats (DTS) without any issue? So I'm majorly baffled with this one...

Any help appreciated,

P's.
If anyone knows how to manually add supported formats or to override these settings then please let me know as this would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Pat~

Revo 3610
Xbmc 10.1 dharma
Windows 7
NVIDIA drivers 280.26
ION->AVR->HDTV (via a hdmi 1.4a certified cable)

In HDMI High-Def Audio, I'm seeing exactly the same thing :-) And playing DTS was never a problem, either. I've verified this with my receiver. It always shows DD 5.1 and DTS correctly.

I think in HDMI High-Def Audio, the last tab (Advance Settings) is important. If you've checked both boxes in this advance settings to give controls to the player, then it will use what ever audio format the player outputs that it can handle. It's hard to verify this, since XBMC 10.1 does not output HD audio. To be sure, you would have to use a different media player to test HD mode.

P.S. Also note that the number of output channels shown is 8.
Hey bodhi,

Thank you so much for the response, to know yours shows the same information is a huge weight off my mind. I totally thought I had an issue or a missing driver.

Really appreciate you replying and letting me know as I've searched everywhere and just not found any information on this anywhere, so I genuinely appreciate your reply Nod

I've checked the "exclusive controll" section and I too have no problems with DTS even though it states it can only do DD Huh I noticed the number of chsnels is Indeed 8 and the hdmi version reports as 1.3 ... So I'm hoping that it will support hd audio as technically the specs would indicate it will.

Hdmi 1.3
8 channels

However it does not show any support it in the hdmi section of windows, so I'll have to wait and see but will let you know as soon as I do Big Grin

Just very pleased to know that yours reports the same support as mine and that it's not specifically an issue with me or my box.

Thanks again and sincerely appreciate you taking the time to reply Nod

Cheers,
Pat~~
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on Acer Revo 3610 & Windows 70