• 30(current)
[LINUX] Problems compiling crystalhd branch
openelec.tv Wrote:this also doesnt works (again same error) with and without comment out msleep_interruptible(50);

output ftom lspci -vvv: http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/logfile/lspci
output from dmesg: http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/logfile/dmesg

thank you for your help

Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device 2612

this is correct.
davilla Wrote:Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device 2612

this is correct.

Hi Davilla,

i have now tryed an second CrystalHD Card in an different PC (Lenovo Thinkpad X200t) with same symtoms...

Do you know what i can also try to get this running?

i have included the driver in Linux staging dir, can this be an problem?
greetings, Stephan

openelec.tv Wrote:i have now tryed an second CrystalHD Card in an different PC (Lenovo Thinkpad X200t) with same symtoms...

Do you know what i can also try to get this running?

i have included the driver in Linux staging dir, can this be an problem?

All three driver sources, (Linux staging dir, git tree and googlecode) should contain the same code with cosmetic changes. Something else is going on. Now you start looking at chipsets, distros, kernel, etc. Try Ubuntu 8.04 with googlecode or git tree source.
Hi everyone ! I am completely new to CrystalHD. I am runnig Karmic, with latest trunk SVN from svn ppa.

I have noticed a driver package libcrystalhd on the ppa. Can anyone help what are the steps for getting this to work. I installed this driver rebooted ran xbmc and have a log message:

Code:
Dll libcrystalhd.so was not found in path

lspci --vv shows

Code:
0c:00.0 Multimedia controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM70012 Video Decoder [Crystal HD] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device 2612
    Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 10
    Region 0: Memory at f9df0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Region 2: Memory at f9800000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

I think my driver dows not work. There is no kernel module associated to the card.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Davilla,

The crystalhd render is working great on some of the videos but not all. I have around 20 720p-1080p videos, 6 of them is not having picture during playback when I enabled crystalhd render (they are perfectly fine with software render).

I did a comparison, one interesting thing I noticed is that all videos can have good playback with crystalhd render will have 1:1 PAR (Pixel aspect ratio
). Is it possible for you to investigate?

Other people have experienced the same. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67032

Many thanks for your hard work.
s7mx1 Wrote:Davilla,

The crystalhd render is working great on some of the videos but not all. I have around 20 720p-1080p videos, 6 of them is not having picture during playback when I enabled crystalhd render (they are perfectly fine with software render).

I did a comparison, one interesting thing I noticed is that all videos can have good playback with crystalhd render will have 1:1 PAR (Pixel aspect ratio
). Is it possible for you to investigate?

Other people have experienced the same. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67032

Many thanks for your hard work.

not sure that thread shows the same problem, a few me toos posted but the first post is about 720 x264 files. Can't tell if this refers to 720p files or 720 by xxx files as the xbmc.log has been cut (which one should never, ever do).
davilla Wrote:not sure that thread shows the same problem, a few me toos posted but the first post is about 720 x264 files. Can't tell if this refers to 720p files or 720 by xxx files as the xbmc.log has been cut (which one should never, ever do).

Davilla,

I noticed the only two 1080p videos I can play is of a lesser resolution at 1920x1040. My screen resolution is 1680x1050. All 720p videos are playing fine. Do you it's something to do with my monitor's resolution?
s7mx1 Wrote:Davilla,

I noticed the only two 1080p videos I can play is of a lesser resolution at 1920x1040. My screen resolution is 1680x1050. All 720p videos are playing fine. Do you it's something to do with my monitor's resolution?

No, display resolution has nothing to do with decode resolution.
I posted my problem in the Linux support forum:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=68892
but I guess I should have posted it here.

Can you give it a look davilla? (Maybe move it here, or delete it so I can re-post here).
[Knuckles];496345 Wrote:I posted my problem in the Linux support forum:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=68892
but I guess I should have posted it here.

Can you give it a look davilla? (Maybe move it here, or delete it so I can re-post here).

Actually the other place is more appropriate. This is a question about running XBMC and not a development question. In the future, don't cross post, it makes it confusing and give it 24h. Odds are some of us are not on the same time zone as you.
Davilla, thanks for the awesome work!

I did my first ever compile of XBMC SVN last weekend to try out my CrystalHD card, which finally arrived from Hong Kong (quicker shipping than I expected, though it seemed like forever.

My setup:
MSI Wind PC barebones (single core Atom 230 1.6ghz) w 2GB ram
VGA video out to my projector (Epson 8100, 1080p)
Stereo audio out to my receiver (waiting on a USB sound card with s/pdif)
CrystalHD in mini PCIe slot
Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic K
SVN level 27292

Compile experiences:
I used the instructions on page 2 of this thread, got SVN level 27292.
I had problems getting the xbmc dependencies with 'sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc' - IIRC it wouldn't install libass-dev (which I think is the ssa subtitle lib) because libass3 was installed at a different version (like libass3 x.y.zxbmc1 or something rather than just x.y.z).
I worked around this by uninstalling libass3 completely and reinstalling it - it was then installed at the version expected by the -dev package and I could install both. build-dep then got the rest of the prereqs.
I'm not sure if this will cause problems or not.

Playback Experiences:
  • 1080p material (mkv, m2ts, mov) stutters slightly at the beginning of playback but then is nice and smooth. I've noticed occasional frame drops on some material (not noticeable while viewing, but loses ~5 frames over a few seconds).
  • Some anime mkv files with subtitles work, others appeared to crash XBMC every time. I haven't investigated properly yet, too busy enjoying other content.
  • Processor usage seems 'high' - near 50% on each CPU (single core Atom 230, two hyperthreaded virtual cpus, so 50% on each means near 100% CPU load, right?). This is the lowest of low end CPUs, so I'm not super surprised, but I expected lower.
  • Sound is noticeably out of sync on all broadcom-decoded videos I tried.

Questions:
  • Is my CPU usage typical? If not, what step should I take next to report the problem - get log and paste to here or another thread? (never done this before but will be happy to do so)
  • Is my audio sync issue a known problem, or do I just need to play with the Audio Delay setting in the OSD (I haven't tried this yet)?
pfennig Wrote:[b]Questions:
  • Is my CPU usage typical? If not, what step should I take next to report the problem - get log and paste to here or another thread? (never done this before but will be happy to do so)
  • Is my audio sync issue a known problem, or do I just need to play with the Audio Delay setting in the OSD (I haven't tried this yet)?

Use "top" rather than CPU in XBMC. Look at percent idle, substract from 100, that's actual absolute CPU percent regardless of number of CPUs or MT units.

The other numbers are confusing as you don't know if they are absolute CPU percent (ie. 100 percent is maxed out), or not.
davilla Wrote:Use "top" rather than CPU in XBMC. Look at percent idle, substract from 100, that's actual absolute CPU percent regardless of number of CPUs or MT units.

The other numbers are confusing as you don't know if they are absolute CPU percent (ie. 100 percent is maxed out), or not.

top says:
Code:
top - 15:04:49 up 1 day, 18:55,  2 users,  load average: 0.94, 0.49, 0.19
Tasks: 181 total,   2 running, 179 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s): 64.0%us,  2.6%sy,  0.0%ni, 33.4%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Mem:   2053372k total,  1956820k used,    96552k free,   110924k buffers
Swap:  2000052k total,    16420k used,  1983632k free,  1198532k cached

PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
5321 xbmcuser  20   0  370m 131m  33m R  133  6.6   0:51.68 xbmc.bin

So "33.4%id" means 33.4% IDle?, and conversly "64.0%us" means 64% consumed for USer processes? That actually matches up well with the 133% used for xbmc.bin (x 0.5) also according to top. I don't have my front projector on right now, so used VNC to start xbmc and play the video while monitoring top over ssh. VNC doesn't want to pull up the OSD to see reported XBMC cpu usage, so not sure how they compare for this clip (avatar trailer).

Is 60-70% CPU load even while using the CrystalHD expected?
its probably vnc thats causing a bigger than normal cpu hit
TeknoJnky Wrote:its probably vnc thats causing a bigger than normal cpu hit

I considered that - my 'top' measurement was taken with my VNC disconnected. I connected, started the video (an avatar trailer 1080p .mov), disconnected, and then used top in ssh. So no VNC (vino-server) impact to usage.

Also as noted, the xbmc.bin cpu% matched the user space cpu% time two (2 virtual processors), so it looked perfectly accurate - XBMC itself was consuming all that cpu%.
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Problems compiling crystalhd branch2