Is XBMC codebase ready for SVN builds as before?
Hi,

I've been away from these forums for a while and I currently don't have much free time as I used to when I started using XBMC for the first time. However, I've been keeping an eye on the rss news feed to keep me updated XBMC state but I'm confused about something...

Sorry if this has been asked before.

On August 31 this was a message posted on XBMC:
Quote:It was mentioned a few days ago that things might get bumpy for a while and a few of you asked to be notified when all the fun was starting. Well, consider yourselves notified.
As of svn rev #22529 the branch has been merged into main. Please be patient as we get things back in line. And again, we ask that you hold off on bug reports and nightly builds until the codebase has stabilized. We know it’s broken.

I'm confused by this because I never saw a message being posted on the front page news about it but recently, XBMC 9.11 Beta 1 has been released. However, no message saying the codebase has been stabilized was ever posted. Or I didn't notice on, but I do read everything on the rss feed.

So, just to make sure, is the codebase stabilized yet?
As you probably know many companies use a loose definition of what Beta means...Some betas are not ready for average users, while others are ready for primetime with maybe a minor bug here and there....

XBMC 9.11 Beta 1 falls into the later definition. Even the Alphas, IMO, where perfectly fine to use. You can take a peek at the windows/linux/Mac forums and quickly scan if anyone is having a common problem but I haven't noticed anything major or a bunch of people posting the same topics.
That's not the issue... Before that warning on the main website, I used to install SVN versions from time to time. I actually compiled my own versions and installed them (so I don't have to wait for someone else to do it for me). All I'm asking is if the codebase is ready for me to do that again (I know a lot as changed like the trunk path, that's not the issue).
This isn't necessarily the official position of the team, but my understanding is that the trickiest part was getting the DirectX changeover to work. Once that happened, we went almost immediately into the alpha/beta process, where the team wanted to avoid individual SVN builds.

As such, there's not really been an opportunity to suggest using SVN versions yet and probably won't be until after the official 9.11 release.
Since I don't have much time anyway to be playing with XBMC as I used to, I'll wait for the final release then Smile

Thanks for the answers.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is XBMC codebase ready for SVN builds as before?0