Standardized XBMC system?
Hi,

one thing which was really nice about the Xbox running XBMC was, that it was a unified platform.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a proper standardized platform for the current development? I don't mean to take away any flexibility from this product, anybody shall be free to run XBMC however he likes.

What I think of is a standardized spec, which could result in a product like "XSS 1".

- Low power system like Atom/ION
- Full 1080p availability
- Out-of-the box IR support (switching off/on etc.)
- Suspend working properly
- Proper Audio
- HDMI
- DVD/BD
- Flash/USB/HDD options
- GBit-LAN
- Nice, well cooled case (WAF!)
- Coreboot (maybe the goal should be max. 20 secs to running XBMC from switching on)
- Perfectly adjusted XBMC-distro preinstalled

Maybe this list isn't complete, but it's just a compilation of common needs from my perspective.

It would be great if there was such a system to buy (maybe even branded with a customized case!?).

As soon as major parts are not available anymore, XSS maybe updated to a new revision or new version.
The XBMC image on that system should be bulletproof, something like a specialized XBCM Live etc.

Any comments on this?
mulder77de
most IONs fits those specs nicely, I can tell you that zotac board is rather popular amongst the devs. IIRC 4+ have it.

Cheers,
Tobias
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Well, I have a Zotac Atom/ION myself and I am quite satisfied. Only booting/suspend is something to improve.

But why don't offer something ready-to-use for all the people who are not able to setup their system. And give it some official name like XSS 1 or whatever.
because there need to be alot of money involved when selling hardware and then you have the handling of rma and warranty aswell
OK, understood.

So why don't start with a open specification and a suitable logo for such a solution.
Something like a detailed plan what components to use, a customized live image which stays stable until a new specification is made.

The advantage is the newbies can stick to this specification and are able to build a system from scratch and they know that all will work properly.
And maybe there is a system builder who will use this spec to create such h/w and will take the financial risk.

The lifecycle for this spec can be aligned with the release cycle, maybe.

Anyone interested to work into this direction?

mulder77de
As a HTPC noob who is about to build one, I would also very much like to see such a spec.

Browsing the forums here, I can get some idea, but there's always cons to every pro and I can not find the setup that I'm satisfied. Pretty much all the specs listed in this first post is all that I need.
popper Wrote:As a HTPC noob who is about to build one, I would also very much like to see such a spec.

Browsing the forums here, I can get some idea, but there's always cons to every pro and I can not find the setup that I'm satisfied. Pretty much all the specs listed in this first post is all that I need.
Then you can either go with the AsRock system or buy the Zotac ION motherboard that allows you to install a socket 775 CPU if the Atom isn't powerful enough for you (I know I don't want an Atom in my HTPC, it's too close to the bottom scale for my tastes... and if the skins evolve and get more complex it could be a problem).
popper Wrote:As a HTPC noob who is about to build one, I would also very much like to see such a spec.

I'm in the same boat as you. After a few days of research, I think I've settled on a cost effective build. Take a look here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=4...post448659
Thanks, yeah I would preferably like a bit more than the minimum system to future proof it a little bit.

Also I'm a bit hesitant to go the linux route, I've only used it a tiny bit and am not that familiar. Unless I get significant performance/stability gains from that platform, I will likely go with windows.

I might start up my own spec thread to avoid hijacking this one. I'm just worried it will look like the hundreds of other threads that ask pretty much the same thing. I was expecting some kind of sticky that would be updated with common specs.
If I don't get any negative reply through some XBMC admins/developers, I would go on and would start to work on this spec here in this thread.

Everybody is welcome to join this activity.

mulder77de
Steam regularly publishes the stats of what type of hardware is accessing their games...

That might be a good point to see what the more common "enthusiast" grade equipment is out there.

nVidia and Intel pretty much rule the roost...

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
Whatever would make it as an official "case" would need power on/off via remote and to be IR controller compatible with the original XBOX DVD kit... that's just built into XBMC/Lirc.

Which means IMON is out...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Standardized XBMC system?0