Can't get subtitles working
I can't seem to get my .srt and .sub subtitles to work with any of my movies in my library. Regardless of whether I like-name the file or browse for it, I get no text on screen at parts where I should.

My test movie is "Drag me to Hell" for the log info below.

File is an AVI, czech subtitle is here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62627/Drag.Me.To...ip-FxM.srt

Relevant Log is here:
http://pastebin.com/f5e0878d9

I am running XBMC Live 9.11, Beta 1 via USB (SD Card) on an Acer Revo 1600.

As part of my testing, I tried a movie that I know my mother in law (who is czech) watched 2 weeks ago when I was running XBMC for Windows, and the czech subs that worked perfectly two weeks ago do not function now.

I've also checked the subtitle video calibration, and done the usual reboots. I've also tried saving the files as Unicode (vs. UTF-8) just to be sure, and no help.

Weird part - in my testing, I noted that once or twice at the start of the film the subs would start and only show 3 characters of the first word, then die and not return.

Weirder part - one of the films in my library DOES work and display subs....but it is the only one I can find. Is a 2 file AVI, here's a copy of the sub that I tested and noted was working:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62627/Traffic%20CD2.sub

Please let me know if there is any additional information I can provide for the community to assist me in troubleshooting this. Nothing worse than an angry Czech mother in law, trust me.

Thanks.
hmm, this sounds like it is related to our addition of utf-16 subs. will dig.
spiff Wrote:hmm, this sounds like it is related to our addition of utf-16 subs. will dig.

Thanks Spiff - happy to do any additional testing or debugging you need.
I have exactly the same problem. Running on ubuntu 9.10 64bit (atom 330, ion) and XBMC 9.11 beta. What ever i play there are no subtitles on screen (i used the same movie colection on my XP machine and all subtitles worked correct). Somethimes i notice few characters at the begining of the movie and thats all. Funny is that few days ago i had completly funkctional XBMC (but i have no idea what version that was) on same system / machine but i mesed my system due my stupidity (i am new in linux) and i was forced to reinstal. HELP pleas! Maybe if thre is another combination of versions (ubuntu release 32/64, xbmc, nvidia drivers ...) that would work for me?
Why don't we just let Spiff check into it and let us know. If you need a stable Windows build, grab something before the code merge/DX builds, although the recent ones work fine for me.
I dont want use the windows anymore and of course i wait for any solution done by Spiff. THX
Hi Spiff - did you find anything out when you "dug"? Curious if there is any kind of workaround I can use to get these subs working...I'm sort of surprised more people aren't experiencing this?

Thanks.
Did anyone find the solution for this problem? I have recently upgraded to a 9.11 RC1 karmic and 190.53 nvidia. Nothing changed!!!
As an update here - I can confirm that .srt subs are working for me. Subtitles with the extension .sub (i.e. plain text) do not work for me.

Edit: spoke to soon, appears some SRTs are working while others aren't. Must be a file formatting issue?
Hmm ... My problem is that i tried all subtitles formats but all i can see is the first word and somethimes just some leters from the first word of whole subtitles file at the begining of the movie. As i wrote i tried to reinstall xbmc 9.11 beta to RC1 and also the nvidia drivers. Nothing helped.
Bump.

Looks like others are experiencing this too?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=449503

I'm quite surprised more people aren't raising this an an issue - perhaps it only affects certain languages/character sets?
Solved. I manualy changed the subtitles character set from default to central europe (windows) and now are all subtitles ok. Shocked shame on me !!! I really dont know why i didnt try this option before.
epos - can you please elaborate on what you did here? What program did you use to change the character set?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't get subtitles working0