• 1(current)
Req native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option
For example :

screen resolution : 1920x1080
video file format : 640x360

XBMC will force upscaling 640x360 to 1920x1080.

It's good but I wish to have an option to disable upscaling and output
with its native 640x360 resolutioin.

sometimes I use windows + KMPlayer, when playing video file, KMPlayer will output native resolution, and it looks better than upscaling.

I also use XBMC for Xbox, set to 480P only to disable upscaling,
but since 1080p is more popular these days, XBMC for Win/UBUNTU will be set to 1920x1080 screen resolution, and force upscaling video output,
but some low-resolution video become blurred if upscaling.

Is it possibe that XBMc can do native video file resolution output like KMPlayer do ( eg. DVD ISO output with 720x480, not upscaling to 1920x1080 ), and switch back to screen resolution ( eg. 1920x1080 ) when stop playing and back to XBMC desktop ?

or user can have an option eg. advancedsetting.xml
if file name string with "480p" character, output with 480p resolution ?
so user can rename the video file name to match the output.

thanks !
dewen Wrote:For example :

screen resolution : 1920x1080
video file format : 640x360

XBMC will force upscaling 640x360 to 1920x1080.

It's good but I wish to have an option to disable upscaling and output
with its native 640x360 resolutioin.

sometimes I use windows + KMPlayer, when playing video file, KMPlayer will output native resolution, and it looks better than upscaling.

I also use XBMC for Xbox, set to 480P only to disable upscaling,
but since 1080p is more popular these days, XBMC for Win/UBUNTU will be set to 1920x1080 screen resolution, and force upscaling video output,
but some low-resolution video become blurred if upscaling.

Is it possibe that XBMc can do native video file resolution output like KMPlayer do ( eg. DVD ISO output with 720x480, not upscaling to 1920x1080 ), and switch back to screen resolution ( eg. 1920x1080 ) when stop playing and back to XBMC desktop ?

or user can have an option eg. advancedsetting.xml
if file name string with "480p" character, output with 480p resolution ?
so user can rename the video file name to match the output.

thanks !

XBMC can already play at the native resolution (but of course, will result in the image appearing very small on screen). Since it is outputing 1080 signal showing a 480 video...
IF it switched to 480 output, then your TV would upscale anyway...
remember... a digital TV is FIXED resolution. It's impossible to change the resolution... whatever signal you input into the TV will be upscaled to 1080 or 1366x768 (since very few TVs do native 720) resolution.
Some TVs will let you switch off the upscaling... in which case, you'll get a small movie in the middle of the screen... same effect as XBMC doing native playback.

So what you're really doing is just saying the TV upscaling seems to look better than the XBMC scaling. Which is possible if the TV has a decent DSP.

The experience will generally be crap though... since most TV's stutter when switching resolutions... so it all looks very unseemly and ruins the fluid UI feel of XBMC.
Thanks for your reply, I understand it now.

If I set XBMC 1080 and press "select" during play to switch resolution, there will be a "native" resolution but only small center area if the video is lower resolution.

My Sony KF50XBR800 seems did upscaling better than XBMC did....
dewen Wrote:My Sony KF50XBR800 seems did upscaling better than XBMC did....
That's entirely possible, as the upscaling currently implemented in XBMC is rather simple.
I'm surprised your computer allows output at 640x360 resolution.

I suspect it doesn't, and you're actually getting it rescaled twice.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

This is come up a few times in the past, would be great for those with external scalers.

including me ;-)

so another +1
jmarshall Wrote:I'm surprised your computer allows output at 640x360 resolution.

I suspect it doesn't, and you're actually getting it rescaled twice.

If I set Xbox XBMC to 480P ( disable 720p and 1080i )
480x480 AVI file will be upscaling to 720x480 by XBMC,
( XBMC will upscaling to highest resolution you set )
and Sony TV upscaling it again to match the screen size,
and the result is good.

But I I set to 720P or 1080i, the upscaling result is not so good.

If I use KMPlayer for win, when I press Tab during play,
it shows 480x480 ( native resolution ? ) and seems Sony TV do the
upscaling job to fill the TV size ?
Bump for Eden? I would love to see this so I can have my receiver do all the work in decoding the audio (Bitstreaming) and if this is implemented, use its superior scaling.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
+1. Would be very useful.
Admin @ Passion-XBMC
(official french community)
+1.
I think something like that is not really possible (or at least not practical):

- your pc has to change the output resolution every time you watch a different movie (would look ugly i guess and take wuite some time)
- how should the menu parts be displayed, eg.: you watch a movie in 720x480 and than you want to go to the menu (the movie keeps playing in background), xbmc would either have to scale down the menu from fullhd to your resolution (or even a different aspect ratio!!!) or has to change to fullhd in that moment again. i don't think, that something like that would be practicle ...

a better thing would be to work on the upscaling techniques (using different algorithms, adding support for add in cards if things like this exist, ...)
Switching TV resolution will be absolutely essential if XBMC is to ever support proper interlaced output in the future.
why do you want to have interlaced output? it is simply a question of which instance does the upscaling or deinterlacing -> tv or a/v receiver or external upscaler or pc with xbmc.

i don't see a proper possibility that it is done outside of the pc running xbmc, but if anybody has an idea, i would love it ...
All HDTVs and most home theater receivers deinterlace video and do so at MUCH greater quality than XBMC can. Not to mention it would SIGNIFICANTLY lessen the load on PCs.

I was thinking about having to render the interface at lower resolutions and different aspect ratios, the upshot to this is XBMC skins must already support all those odd resolutions and AR's anyways so the work there is done. It might not look as nice as an interface rendered at 1080p, but it wouldn't be as bad as you think.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
for me it simply brings to much problems that cannot be dealt with, but maybe that is a matter of taste.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
native resolution ( disable upscaling ) option9