No Cache Settings? (r25561)
Thanks Arnova.

Wouldn't such a move maybe break other functionality, like calls to built-in or HTTP API commands (GetGuiSetting/SetGuiSetting and such?)
Dan Dare Wrote:Thanks Arnova.

Wouldn't such a move maybe break other functionality, like calls to built-in or HTTP API commands (GetGuiSetting/SetGuiSetting and such?)

Good one! Ok, I'll leave it as a (hidden) GUI setting then....
-= Team Kodi developer fueled by heavy metal =-
not sure if you care but 768kb (internet video) cache is definitely too small for me. i'd suggest 2048 as default.

also for some reason, if the internet video is Flash, it counts as <cacheunknown> rather than <cachevideo> as you'd expect. for now i set <cacheunknown> to 2048 (since flash is lower b/w anyway) but ideally you'd fix that to ID as <cachevideo>?
Very interested. I will be watching this thread.

thanks in advance to anyone working on this.Nod
Smiff Wrote:not sure if you care but 768kb (internet video) cache is definitely too small for me. i'd suggest 2048 as default.

2048 is way too large as a default. That way it's just used as a hack for crappy connections. Furthermore it will result in a much longer precaching time for most streams...

Smiff Wrote:also for some reason, if the internet video is Flash, it counts as <cacheunknown> rather than <cachevideo> as you'd expect. for now i set <cacheunknown> to 2048 (since flash is lower b/w anyway) but ideally you'd fix that to ID as <cachevideo>?
Need a full debug log to investigate this....
not sure if you've ever used plugins like navix, but most of the servers are overloaded, so they send data unevenly. the large buffer both gives the buffer a chance to refill, and in cases where the bandwidth just isnt enough, it makes for fewer long pauses rather than many short ones, which i think most users find less annoying.
just some thoughts.. as long as we can change it i don't really mind. thanks.

edit: 768kbytes cache is enough to cache a typical Divx movie (800kbps) for 1 second.. no 8 seconds right? i guess that should be enough (if all connections are good).
The data rate of video streams is measured in kilobits. There's eight bits to the byte. Note that most movie files also have an audio stream, which has its own bit-rate that's separate to the video stream.

Oddly enough, while a kilobyte is 1024 bytes (and before anyone argues, don't bother, I won't be convinced! Tongue ), a kilobit is only 1000 bits.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
GravitySpec Wrote:Forgive me for saying it, but that sounds like a ridiculous reason to remove it from the UI. If they modify it and it screws them up then it's their own fault and should just revert or re-install. Why make it a pain in the ass for everyone to modify stuff if they know what they are doing when the ability was already there for a reason in the first place?

It's kinda like putting a stupid person behind the wheel of a car and saying that because they are stupid we need to remove radios from all cars because they will "possibly" get distracted and crash the car. The good suffer for the bad. :mad:

Sorry for the wall of text and venting. Just don't like it when options have to be stripped out of any application for the sake of the stupid.

... right, I would call this the american way. No offense.
So, is it in guisettings.xml, as it is per default when you download it or is it in advancedsettings.xml as it is said in this thread?
Fresh installs of XBMC do not contain "GuiSettings.xml". This file is only generated when you boot the program for the first time (assuming you don't manually delete it at a later point).

The settings are currently dealt with in "AdvancedSettings.xml". Refer to "Template.AdvancedSettings.xml" (located in your UserData, assuming you're up to date) for an example.
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
Ok. Doesn't matter if it is installed or created at he first run, nevertheless there are cache-settings in guisettings.xml.
No, I don't have a Template.Advancedsettings.xml, not in my userdata nor in svn tree, although I'm compiling and running "daily" snapshots from svn.
Maybe it's time to add this to the advancedsettings.xml - page in the wiki.
The GUI cache settings are back again in current SVN....
arnova Wrote:The GUI cache settings are back again in current SVN....

good decision i think - if only to reduce the questions on it. thanks again Arnova for all your work. we're still using lots of xboxes (and can't afford to upgrade them all to mini PCs) so it's really appreciated.
maybe if you get a moment you can play around with NaviX and see if you can tell what's causing streams to drop so much on the xbox version?
Thanks Arnova, I don't have to do the plugin thing now - I already started it and it was a bit of pain in the neck :-) lets see how that goes...

For anyone interested, see Arnova's commit:
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/30044/branches/xbox
arnova Wrote:Ppl that really know what these settings do, should also be capable of creating a proper advancedsettings.xml-file, so I really don't see the problem...

It's ironic you say this. Back in the day before you came aboard, I did a great deal or tweaking through various xmls. Everyone did; getting the fan art to do this or that, adding container support, tweaking the home screen buttons and adding weather)... this was back when the 1st project mayhem skin came about. Then as time went on, more and more was streamlined into the GUI by devs for greater transparency. Now as time goes on, it's the exact opposite, one window at a time.

I come here every once in a while now to see if I should upgrade from the Sept '09 T3CH build I presently run on xbox. The answer is always no... i.e. don't fix what ain't broke, and I enjoy my poster art, fan art, media icons, etc, no mem issues; without losing features, or windows.

arnova Wrote:In that case you're both wrong since you obviously haven't got a clue why certain settings exist in the GUI or not...

easier accessibility?
I think the point was not necessarily XBMC vs GUI, but rather having the settings in GUI might have people maximizing caches to find out that it takes the little memory left with large skins and reporting crashes due to lack of free memory. I know I did this a few years ago taking the video cache up to 8 MB to find that it wasn't playing videos at all... The idea I guess was by forcing the cache settings to XML that way only people with some technical skills will be able to do it, thus reducing false bug reports... There's no point throwing this on Arnova, he's doing a great job already, there's pluses and minuses with each approach, I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No Cache Settings? (r25561)0