• 29(current)
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?
i also own a boxee box and it would really be great, if XMBC would run on it...

raimund
Hannes The Hun Wrote:and now let's have a look at what's inside of the logitech box:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/25/logit...found-wit/

details/source: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Logitech-...own/3788/1

- intel Atom CE4150 CPU (let's hope they really integrated some decent GPU decoding here)
- 1GB DDR3 RAM
- 5GB NAND Flash [1GB samsung & 4GB hynix]
- Silicone Image HDMI 1.3 transmitter
- atheros b/g/n wlan
- realtek 10/100Mbit LAN
- nordic semiconductor wireless transmitter for keyboard

so, nothing fance here, mostly netbook hardware from around 2008. *if* intel finally release a decent linux driver for the integrated "HD" graphics, we might have a fine XBMC box here. as soon as somebody gets access to the bootloader, of course Wink

I have been look at this chip for a while. Both Google TV box and the new Boxee box are the perfect box for XBMC. What people did not realize and did not talked about was the the HD decoding capability of the CE4100. It is much better than what NVidia and AMD, and Intel for that matter with respect to their GPU's. The decoder of CE4100 can decode two HD streams simultaneously. This is a separate unit apart from the that PowerVR GPU.

So if Boxee can run on CE4100, we in XBMC community should be able to do it. As a matter of fact, we may be able to push Boxee to contribute their work since their stuff is based on XBMC. Per GPL agreement, they should contribute back what they do with XBMC.
Boxee already have their code available so you can isolate the patches if you want. Problem is more about developers missing hardware than code being available.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:Boxee already have their code available so you can isolate the patches if you want. Problem is more about developers missing hardware than code being available.

Can you provide the pointer about the Boxee code for CE4100?

As for the hardware, you can find it in Amazon for $199. http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DSM-380-Box...245&sr=8-1
bobfish66 Wrote:Can you provide the pointer about the Boxee code for CE4100?

As for the hardware, you can find it in Amazon for $199. http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DSM-380-Box...245&sr=8-1

google or search the boxee site, its not hard to find...

As for hardware, not many devs want or can purchase a $200 product which is closed and unusable ...

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
I'm sure there are people, myself included, who would consider donating a box if there were an effort underway to break into it and get xbmc running on it. I have seen used ones go on eBay for as little as $139. I have run up bigger tabs at the bar.
topfs2 Wrote:google or search the boxee site, its not hard to find...

As for hardware, not many devs want or can purchase a $200 product which is closed and unusable ...

I too would be willing to donate a Boxee Box or at the least throw down money on it, IF I had a dev come forward and promise work on the unit.

I know a good deal of us here and I am sure some of those in the boxee community that would be happy to scrappy boxee all together, until such time that a permanent root can be found. The reason I mention this is that the boxee box comes with a very simple recovery that allows for restoring to the original firmware. This version is very easy to access root on. I have to do this every time I want to add another FTP address to my box as for some reason they have removed the ability to add FTP addresses through the GUI and it needs to be manually added to the sources.xml.

It really seems no different then development for the ATV, in that each update breaks the launcher and another needs to be created. OR the user just prevents updates from taking place altogether.

I am not a dev by any means, but I can get my hands dirty and figured out FTP access with little to no help in their forums. It just seems that the method mentioned above is doable, if we can get a dev willing to work on it.
If any dev's want telnet access to my boxee box to help progress the XBMC on Boxee Box attempt, please email me at [email protected]. I am very serious about this.
@Robotica, I removed the post you quoted, and thus also your reply to it.

@Others Personally it's my opinion that we shouldn't waste valuable developer time on ANY platform which we might be locked out from in future (Boxxee/ PS3)

strange that you censor info related to certain subjects (GPL in relation to Boxee).
But good to see you updated your sig.
Robotica Wrote:strange that you censor info related to certain subjects (GPL in relation to Boxee).
But good to see you updated your sig.

The censor was not against GPL, we are very clear on our stands on GPL.

The censorship was against how promises on work could be interpreted.

aha thnx.. (why remove posts when you just can explain it simple)
Robotica Wrote:aha thnx.. (why remove posts when you just can explain it simple)

Because it was easier than explaining (which I really haven't done still), don't want people to get the wrong ideas and interpret it wrong.

pike Wrote:@Others Personally it's my opinion that we shouldn't waste valuable developer time on ANY platform which we might be locked out from in future (Boxxee/ PS3)

Amen.

pike Wrote:@Others Personally it's my opinion that we shouldn't waste valuable developer time on ANY platform which we might be locked out from in future (Boxxee/ PS3)

How did Apple TV development get started then? Every update breaks the launcher. I know you guys dont work on that part of the ATV, but I would assume the same will end up being true with the Boxee Box with another team always breaking the lockout.

Also this doesn't really address the fact that the original firmware shipped with boxee, at least at present, is very easy to root. I could really careless if Boxee was wiped off the box just to get XBMC on there, I would be willing to bet others share this feeling as well.

Please don't misunderstand my post, I am not telling you how to do the wonderful work you do. I am just trying to understand what has changed with regard to XBMC development from when it was ported to ATV to now.
  • 29(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hacking the Boxee Box to run XBMC?1