• 3(current)
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick
ngok Wrote:I managed to login by telnet,but user xbmc is not available,root/root will let you in.
on screen there are some error messages.
looks like boot loader is up but booting ubuntu is failed.
<code>
running init.d/rcS
atv-boot=manual -- searching for boot_linux.sh
sh: 0:unknown operand
atv-boot=auto/manual/patchstick failed -- starting telnetd
sending discover...
</code>

That sounds like the USB stick is corrupt. When you plug the stick into an Ubuntu box you should see two partitions, one is hfsplus mounted at /media/Recovery and the other is ext3 mounted at /media/Linux.

In your case it sounds like /media/Recovery/boot_linux.sh contains garbage. It should look like this:

Code:
#!/bin/bash
#
echo "this is a boot_linux.sh script"
#
#
mkdir -p /tmp/rootfs
mount /dev/sdb2 /tmp/rootfs
kexec --load /tmp/rootfs/vmlinuz --initrd=/tmp/rootfs/initrd.img --command-line="processor.max_cstate=2 root=UUID=53b51eec-0918-4abd-be0d-13d73ead4631 ro quiet splash"
kexec -e

If you can telnet into the box then try cut and pasting those commands into the prompt, it might reveal some more info.

Back on your Ubuntu box you can also try checking the filesystems with fsck, in the past I've had problems with a boot failing because the filesystem wasn't unmounted cleanly.

Code:
sudo umount /media/Linux
sudo fsck.ext3 /dev/sdc2 # my USB device is at /dev/sdc
sudo umount /media/Recovery
sudo fsck.hfsplus /dev/sdc1 # you'll need the package hfsprogs for this
This has happened because you have used USB Image Tool and restored in volume mode. Run it as an Administrator and restore in Device Mode.
No luck with the Linux distro. I have lots of freezing in the menus and XBMC even chokes on SD. This is really strange. I'm sure it's not my card because Davilla helped me verify that it worked (sudo dmesg). Ideas?
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:No luck with the Linux distro. I have lots of freezing in the menus and XBMC even chokes on SD. This is really strange. I'm sure it's not my card because Davilla helped me verify that it worked (sudo dmesg). Ideas?

Use ssh to get remote access. User is xbmc password is xbmc

Your log file is here: .xbmc/temp/xbmc.log

Post it on pastebin.com
Ok I will get these in a few minutes.
Here we go:

http://pastebin.com/d17b0ad90

None of the BBC-HD samples from x264.nl work and even a SD tv episode failed

I know CrystalHD is good because of a little file Davilla once sent me to test it in frontrow. Wink

Oh and I must reboot every time to get the remote going. Takes a couple of reboots each time, dunno what's up with that.
Thanks cck197, very nice work.

Heres my eperiences so far; all 720p works so far, 80% of 1080p works, the 20% stutters then finally crashing to the unbuntu logon, then I just unplug and reboot.
CPU usage as per Logging Enabled is around 30% for xbmc with 1080p mkv's.

Sound though optical is fine, I dont use audio over hdmi, so no comment.

good show.
im running this on a mac so i have to use vmware fusion to download the bz2 and run he command. I get "dd: opening '/dev/stdin': no such file or directory" when I try to run the command
I had no problem cloning to an 8gb USB drive using USB Image creater via Win 7. It was a bit slow booting to XBMC and menus lag. Video's seem to take a while to load and play and not all 1080P play which is to be expected. When stopping video it seems to take 30 or more seconds to exit. What does play jitters for the first 5 seconds or so then play perfectly. I have a slight audio sync issue which is easly compensated with the XBMC audio controls. No HDMI audio but optical digital works fine. It hung on a few 1080P and then exited to ubunto. All in all I'm very excited that I'm finally able to test my broadcom card. Excellent job cck197 you are the man. I have a 20GB hard drive laying around and I'm going to try and clone the thumb drive to the 20GB drive and see if I have any luck booting from the internal ATA port. Hopefully this will cut down on the lag and hesitation. I am so excited about this.
dannyv45 Wrote:I had no problem cloning to an 8gb USB drive using USB Image creater via Win 7. It was a bit slow booting to XBMC and menus lag. Video's seem to take a while to load and play and not all 1080P play which is to be expected. When stopping video it seems to take 30 or more seconds to exit. What does play jitters for the first 5 seconds or so then play perfectly. I have a slight audio sync issue which is easly compensated with the XBMC audio controls. No HDMI audio but optical digital works fine. It hung on a few 1080P and then exited to ubunto. All in all I'm very excited that I'm finally able to test my broadcom card. Excellent job cck197 you are the man. I have a 20GB hard drive laying around and I'm going to try and clone the thumb drive to the 20GB drive and see if I have any luck booting from the internal ATA port. Hopefully this will cut down on the lag and hesitation. I am so excited about this.

The lag at video play is due to always downloading the firmware each time, this will change soon. Video startup trainwreck, as we devs call it, will also get resolved soon. A mediainfo output from the 1080p files that crash and die would be nice to see.
Well, found my boardcom card, and it works perfect with hdmi! Smile but my projector at home wants componet, and that dosent seem to work, just black screen.. (when booting grome) Any ideas?

Looking forward to hear about dannyv45 project to use a HD insted, the usb takes some time to load, and the menys could maybe be faster.. But overall great!
Bender222 Wrote:im running this on a mac so i have to use vmware fusion to download the bz2 and run he command. I get "dd: opening '/dev/stdin': no such file or directory" when I try to run the command

I'm not familiar with the Mac but I think you can solve your problem like this:

Code:
bunzip2 xbmc_crystalhd_r25841_hardy.img.bz2
sudo dd if=xbmc_crystalhd_r25841_hardy.img of=/dev/sdX bs=4096

Again, don't forget to replace /dev/sdX with the actual USB device. I think it will be /dev/sdb but I'm deliberately making you check just in case.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Here we go:

http://pastebin.com/d17b0ad90

None of the BBC-HD samples from x264.nl work and even a SD tv episode failed

I know CrystalHD is good because of a little file Davilla once sent me to test it in frontrow. Wink

Oh and I must reboot every time to get the remote going. Takes a couple of reboots each time, dunno what's up with that.

To be honest there's nothing obvious in your log I can help you with. You'll need the help of one of the XBMC devs. The subversion branch I've used is so cutting edge I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to support it right now.

I also have some HD content that doesn't play correctly, I'm a software engineer by trade so I'm planning on digging deeper.
I think it might be my card. Thing is though Davilla sent me a driver (no lib unfortunately) so I could see if it would work in frontrow. It did. So that is mighty odd. I've made no mod to your live distro and have tried it all OOB.

@davilla you say there is FW downloaded each time. Is it large? Perhaps I could use the HOSTS file to redirect calls to this and have one of the webservers on my intranet serve the aTV.
davilla Wrote:The lag at video play is due to always downloading the firmware each time, this will change soon. Video startup trainwreck, as we devs call it, will also get resolved soon. A mediainfo output from the 1080p files that crash and die would be nice to see.

Thats good to here. I though it was due to using an extreamly slow thumb drive. I'm in the process of cloning the thumb stick to a spare ATA 20GB drive at the moment but as soon as I get it installed I'll re-test and attach the problematic 1080P mediainfo.

Great job with the crystalHD branch Davilla.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC CrystalHD branch on a USB stick4