Dolby Digital / DTS = no sound on Appletv
Here's my scenario, I startup the atv and get the video intro of the flying videos, and the receiver kicks on "DOLBY DIGITAL". Then, when it gets to the main menu is kicks back to "STEREO", which is what it's supposed to do. I then go into xbmc and pull up a Dolby Digital encoded h.264 xvid movie. It starts playing in "STEREO". I then went into System>Audio and made sure the DTS and DD settings were on, and thought everything looked good. I also saw the "Downmix multi channel to stereo" was checked. I uncheck that and when I go back to the movie I get no sound. I also don't have any menu sounds. I have to re-boot the atv to get the sound back. No matter what I do I cannot get the atv to pass Dolby Digital. I know the receiver can "see" the digital signal from the atv, because it plays as such, and I get all 6 channels during the intro when the atv boots up. What can I try, what might I be missing?
when the video is playing pull up the context menu by pressing and holding play, then pull up the audio controls and make sure its not outputting analogue.
I did some experimenting last night. When I pull up the options of the movie, while it is playing, in audio it says "Undetermined 5.1, 1.1" or something of that nature. Does that mean it's seeing 5.1? When I turn off the downmix option in the main audio preferences it does not play any audio at all. I also tried ripping and encoding my own Star Wars Phantom Menace dvd using handbrake, and when I play that the audio says it's stereo. Not sure why, I encoded with the defaul "Standard" profile and Dolby Pro Logic II audio, which from the reading looks like Dolby Digital.
Are using optical or HDMI for digital audio? If I'm not mistaken the latter is not supported by XMBC under ATV OS (though you could get it to work under Linux on the AppleTV).
As for your other question; Dolby Pro Logic II is not the same as Dolby Digital. It's a stereo signal which combined with some fancy Dolby patented matrix operations or whatnot results in a somewhat surround-ish experience. You need "passthrough" in handbrake to copy the Dolby Digital or DTS track into your rip.
Evinyatar Wrote:Are using optical or HDMI for digital audio? If I'm not mistaken the latter is not supported by XBMC under ATV OS (though you could get it to work under Linux on the AppleTV).

hdmi audio works fine under atv os

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Dolby Digital / DTS = no sound on Appletv0