AppleTV, Windows 7 and Network Share
I recently changed my server OS over to Windows 7. Since then I have not been able to made my multimedia share from my AppleTV. As i have done with my previous server OS's I created a special User for the appleTV and then verified that I am able to map the share from other computers sucessfully. But when I try to do it from my appleTV i get the following error":

Code:
"Unable to Connect: Could not retrieve directory information. This could be due to the network not being connected."

I have verified that it is connected to my network and internet.

When I try to add the share to the appletv I use
Code:
"smb://Uname:Pword@SrvName/ShareName"

I have also tried to browse for my server but I can only get as far as "Workgroup", I get an Error: Operation timed out. I have also disabled the Windows 7 firewall and put "Everyone" in the share for testing.

Anyone have any other thoughts? Is is something specific to Windows 7 that im missing?
codeblue2k Wrote:I recently changed my server OS over to Windows 7. Since then I have not been able to made my multimedia share from my AppleTV. As i have done with my previous server OS's I created a special User for the appleTV and then verified that I am able to map the share from other computers sucessfully. But when I try to do it from my appleTV i get the following error":

Code:
"Unable to Connect: Could not retrieve directory information. This could be due to the network not being connected."

When I try to add the share to the appletv I use
Code:
"smb://Uname:Pword@SrvName/ShareName"

I have also tried to browse for my server but I can only get as far as "Workgroup", I get an Error: Operation timed out. I have also disabled the Windows 7 firewall and put "Everyone" in the share for testing.

Anyone have any other thoughts? Is is something specific to Windows 7 that im missing?

ssh in and ping your server. ping by address, ping by name. if either fails, add your server to /etc/hosts.
davilla Wrote:ssh in and ping your server. ping by address, ping by name. if either fails, add your server to /etc/hosts.

I am able to ping by address and name when SSH'd in
codeblue2k Wrote:I am able to ping by address and name when SSH'd in

Which version of XBMC ? A pastebin of xbmc.log would be nice to see.
Hi,

I do have ATV correctly browse the win7 shares.
Here a few suggestions that hope will help you.

[1] be sure that source.xml is similar to the following:
Beware that sometimes without the specific path the ATV is unable to browse the network resources:

<video>
<default></default>
<source>
<name>BlueLAN</name>
<path>smb://xbox:[email protected]</path>
</source>
<source>
<name>BlueLAN vcd</name>
<path>smb://xbox:[email protected]/vcd</path>
</source>
</video>

[2] Apparently in Vista/Win7 you can no longer remotely connect to admin shares in a workgroup environment, even if you have admin credentials for the remote machine.

-workaround #1-
create a password for the user named "Administrator", then use the username Administrator and the password you set for it as the login when you access the machine remotely.

-workaround #2-
You can also allow access to the administrative shares by any local
administrator by creating a registry entry.

Create or modify the following registry value:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system\LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy

This is a DWORD value. Set it to 1.

[ http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking...are-c.html ]

[3] be sure that your LAN connection is in the Home profile or alternatvely that the "Advanced sharing settings" of the "Choose homegroup and sharing options" has "Enable file sharing for devices that use 40- or 56-bit encryption" enabled

That's all... lets hope that in the future XBMC will support homegroup feature natively Smile

Hope this helps!

A.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AppleTV, Windows 7 and Network Share0