ID3: Album Artist vs Artist
Hey!

I have a feeling I'm missing something obvious, but reading the "Preparing your music" part of the wiki, it sounds as if XBMC will ignore <artist> if <album artist> is present...

In my case XBMC reads both, which means that fx Queen - Greatest Hits 3, which has a few featured artists, end up showing both under "Queen" (the album artist), but also under the featured artist (ie "Queen ft. Elton John" - the artist-tag).

Is this how it's intended to show? I really need XBMC to only read the album artist-tag, as my entire music collection relies on that tag only Wink
Album artist is used for the ALBUM

Artist is used for the SONG
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:Album artist is used for the ALBUM

Artist is used for the SONG

Okay, so following that logic, why would both "Queen" and "Queen ft. Elton John" show when just browsing artists?
If I go to Artist->Queen->Greatest Hits 3 I'll get the complete album including tracks with featured artists (and yes, the <artist> track is read here, too), but I can also pick Artist->Queen ft. Elton John->Greatest Hits 3 and it'll show only that one song.

The great thing about the album artist tag is when you're tagging fx a compilation; <Album Artist> will be "VA" and <Artist> will be the actual artist, so when browsing artists in XBMC, you can choose "VA" and get a list of compilation albums, but when browsing one, the appropriate artist will be displayed at each song.

The way it's set up right now will give me both "VA" plus all the different artists in the Artist view, which seems kinda... dumb Wink

Am I missing something here? :confused2:
See Settings->Music->Library. Turn off artists that appear only on compilations.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

... fair enough :p

Still, why would "Include artists who only appear on compilations" be enabled by default? Who would benefit from this? I did notice the option before actually adding music to my library, but as the phrasing is kinda ambiguous (include it in what?) I assumed, since it was enabled, that if turned off, compilation albums would be ignored (yeah, doesn't make any sense either!)... my bad Wink

As I'm really meticulous about my music tagging, I'd really like for the option "Only read <album artist> when browsing Artists" to be available, as I'd know for sure that all music is sorted properly. The way it works now will make my music library subjective to how XBMC "interprets" the albums, which I'm sure it'll do great, but my tagging is perfect Wink

I gotta give props to the devs for the option already there though; you actually managed to solve the problem of sorting compilation albums properly without using the album artist tag. Genious!
XBMC will interpret your tags exactly how you want - no need for any extra options.

I personally have that setting off as well, but others may wonder where their artists are - not sure on the best default for it tbh.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ID3: Album Artist vs Artist0