Failed to change the mode of /etc/passwd- to 0600
i just downloaded and burned 9.11 repack live, but when my computer boots, it stops after the XBMC Media Centre boot screen to tell me

--

owconv: Failed to change the mode of /etc/passwd- to 0600
sudo: unable to resolve host (none)
sudo: unknown user: user
sudo: unable to resolve host (none)
sudo: unknown user: user

ubuntu 9.10 XBMCLive tty1

XBMCLive Login:

--

i have also logged in using xbmc as both password and username and subsequently launched xbmc from the command line, but it then says

--

xbmc@XBMCLive:$ xbmc
Error: unable to open display
FEH.py: cannot connect to X server

--

will installing it instead of booting from live CD solve this problem?
what can i do to solve this problem?

P.S. i have crunchbang linux 9.04 installed on my computer already, may that be getting in the way of the live boot?
I am also having this exact problem any help would be appreciated
Same problem.

Not sure if having an AMD processor makes any difference
Same here...getting the same error and have an AMD proc. Any help is appreciated. Not quite ready to destroy my Windows install just yet.
im not sure the AMD processors is the issue, i have an old intel P4 2.80GhZ processor with and NVidia card...
Same here, I'm trying to install off of the USB onto an Acer Aspire Revo 1600, and I try this:

Using the latest official live repack.
TheDuffMan Wrote:Same here, I'm trying to install off of the USB onto an Acer Aspire Revo 1600, and I try this:

Using the latest official live repack.

I get the same exact error.
Hey everybody,
I have the same problem. I try to boot the liveCD, the logo appears first, then I get into the terminal without having pressed any key and there is the message which everybody here gets.

I think it can't be solved by installing the liveCD on your harddisk, because I did so and the Error still occurs.

I think it is rather a problem with the computer. On my other PC, which is newer, the liveCD boots properly.

Is there the possebility to get the previous relase with the other installer? Maybe the Problem is because of the installer?

We need help. PLEASE
The correct permission of /etc/passwd should be: -rw-r--r--

Try this, if you can boot in console mode:

Code:
sudo chmod 644 /etc/passwd
Processor type wony have any affect on this. They adhere to a set of instructions.

I've installed the repack on 3 systems so far and no problems. If you can get into a single user mode you can correct this. Not sure how far your skills go though?

Are you installing to disk or running it live?
Hey there I'm a complete Linux Noop Wink . Booting the live system. So when should I type "sudo chmod 644 /etc/passwd" ? THX
i have tried after the boot screen goes to the command line to type in the command
Code:
sudo chmod 644 /etc/passwd
but it dosent change anything, i suppose it would make very little difference on the live cd. has anyone tried to install and then change the folder permissions?
I'm yet another user having problems booting the Live CD. (From a physical CD, not a USB stick.)
I get the exact same messages as OP.

Having tried to chmod /etc/passwd, i still can't run 'xbmc' because there is no X server running. Trying to start 'Xorg' manually also fails, but these are all attempts to work around the real problem: The Live CD does not work (for me)

Could specific hardware have anything to do with this problem?
If so, I can crack open the box to find out the specs.
Sad 
hi all,

i'm having the exact same problem, which is a shame as i am running xbmc in windows vista, and i get the feeling xbmc live would be much faster and much more efficient use of my hardware.

can any of the xbmc live gurus please help!

thanks,

lanre (xbmc live newbie)
same issue. I have a northwood p4 on an 865 board, the live cd fails with nvidia 5900 or a ATI 9600gt (isn't it awesome how the names have been used over and over?), same exact process as what you guys are describing...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failed to change the mode of /etc/passwd- to 06000