• 14(current)
[WINDOWS] Broadcom Crystal HD integration support in XBMC for Windows?
ashlar Wrote:One question for Davilla. As DrMedia I bought the broadcom card and I already have an ATI 4890. Is CrystalHD more... tolerant... toward L5.1 encodes and encodes with out of spec reference frames? Compared to the ATI implementation of DXVA I mean.

Not a clue, I don't have a system running DXVA so I have no point of comparison.
davilla Wrote:Not a clue, I don't have a system running DXVA so I have no point of comparison.
Understood. Do you know what the limits of CrystalHD are? I know it's supposedly capable of playing back everything included in the BD profile, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it could handle even L5.1 stuff or L4.1 with more reference frames than the BD standard mandates.
ashlar Wrote:You need a version not older than three days ago, if I'm not mistaken. Your best bet is downloading the latest nightly build available from the main website. http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

It currently is SVN 27422. That definitely has support for CrystalHD.

tried that but still no option to select the Crystal card in XBMC

Am I being really thick and missing something really obvious?

Looking at earlier in the thread, do I need to copy some sort of DLL file over?

or do I just have a duff Broadcom card?
ashlar Wrote:You need a version not older than three days ago, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm using ikon's latest build which is from Jan 15th. Crystal HD support was merged on 12/29
BigH Wrote:1. how can tell in Windows if it has installed it (couldn't see it under 'devices' installed)

ashlar Wrote:Understood. Do you know what the limits of CrystalHD are? I know it's supposedly capable of playing back everything included in the BD profile, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it could handle even L5.1 stuff or L4.1 with more reference frames than the BD standard mandates.

L5.1 up to 10 ref frames (no killa for crystalhd Smile . Not sure of exact L4.1 limits.
Therms Wrote:I'm using ikon's latest build which is from Jan 15th. Crystal HD support was merged on 12/29
I was referring to the DX version. Which, incidentally, is the only one supported. With DSplayer, CrystalHD and DXVA I think it's time to narrow the field.
davilla Wrote:L5.1 up to 10 ref frames (no killa for crystalhd Smile . Not sure of exact L4.1 limits.
Killa it's a really bad encode. Pretty much nothing else encoded like that. It seems far more flexible than ATI's implementation. Now that it's working on DX, will all developments happen on all platforms?
ashlar Wrote:Killa it's a really bad encode. Pretty much nothing else encoded like that. It seems far more flexible than ATI's implementation. Now that it's working on DX, will all developments happen on all platforms?

There's one other disk I know that's is similar to killa. Yes, quite silly to encode using 16 ref frames.

CrystalHD development is an all platform effort.
ashlar Wrote:Now that it's working on DX, will all developments happen on all platforms?
Nope but we most probably will gain from it. As I described many times most dev concentrate on Linux/mac and therefore OpenGL will gain a lot. Since davilla was so kind to "forward" a yuv12 texture to us (DX) we'll gain from his changes to crystalhd. All changes done in LinuxrenderGL will help DX nothing.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
ashlar Wrote:You need a version not older than three days ago, if I'm not mistaken. Your best bet is downloading the latest nightly build available from the main website. http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

It currently is SVN 27422. That definitely has support for CrystalHD.

cheers - got it working

now to figure out why volume is so low
ashlar Wrote:I was referring to the DX version. Which, incidentally, is the only one supported. With DSplayer, CrystalHD and DXVA I think it's time to narrow the field.

I still think Crystal HD is the way to go. Its hardware and OS independent pretty much so can work on anything. One solution for all playforms and all OS and hardware specs within those platforms.

Apart from DXVA2 being Windows only it needs Vista or Win 7. On top of that it needs a fairly beefy VGA card.

ION and VDPAU is a similar story for Linux.

Everyone should be getting behind Crystal HD in my opinion.
HexusOdy Wrote:Everyone should be getting behind Crystal HD in my opinion.

For me, right now, is the only way. I need subtitles so DSPlayer is a no go, and DXVA2 requires Vista/W7 but I'm quite happy with XP and don't want to spend 120€ on a W7 license.
A600 Wrote:For me, right now, is the only way. I need subtitles so DSPlayer is a no go, and DXVA2 requires Vista/W7 but I'm quite happy with XP and don't want to spend 120€ on a W7 license.

Thats kinda my point. Crystal HD is a solution for everyone and all they have to do is lay out $20.

All the other solutions for VDPAU, DXVA2, DSplayer etc only focus on a particular section of users with a specific hardware setup. So 3 or 4 teams of devs working on seperate solutions for the same thing. Plus more code equals more problems.

Add to that its a great upgrade path that saves having to buy a system with a certain OS, certain CPU or certain VGA to run the other solutions and its perfect.

I was going to fork out £250 on a ION based system. £13 got me the same end result.
HexusOdy Wrote:Everyone should be getting behind Crystal HD in my opinion.
Couldn't agree more. That's why I have a CrystalHD card in my PC, even if it's 3.6GHz Dual Core with an ATI 4890. Because I think that a unified platform brings advantages.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Broadcom Crystal HD integration support in XBMC for Windows?0