[LIVE] How to install XBMC Live and update things?
I have a XBMC Live Install on my Asrock ION 330HT-BD. But it is an RC version of XBMC. I would like to update it to 9.11and also I would like to update my nVidia Drivers.
Someone who can speed me up how do it? Little noobish here on the linux side.

PS: is there a way to skip the xbmc boot menu (where you can pick safe mode and such?)
I would like to know how to upgrade XBMC Live as well.

As to the boot menu, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst file. There should be an option for that.
I posted a thread with the exact same question a while back, but got no answers, so i assumed it was not possible to do a upgrade from RC to full stable..

maybe that is why there is no nightly builds of live, however i have way to little knowledge to even reply here Smile
Either just install the latest version, or do these commands:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -f upgrade

Depending on a lot of things, upgrading the RC might just break it and you'll have to fix it. This seemed to happen between RC1 and RC2. But it was painless between RC2 and the released version. However, I'm not using Live but a handheld installation, so it might just be something related to how I installed everything in general.

I'm not that familiar with how the Live installation works, but the above commands should upgrade everything to their latest respective versions. Including your nVidia drivers.
ASRock ION 330, Lucid Lynx, XBMC Dharma (beta 2)
This is what I did:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y

John
Ok, so
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -f upgrade (what's -f?)

and/ or (what's the difference)

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y (what's -y | && is stitching the commands to each other?)

How can I check if it went succesful, or check the current version?

If I install the final of 9.11 (xbmcfreak.nl has one made a live version for the ion 330), i can update in the future to another new stable version of xbmc?

The problem is that I have a complete configured system and don't want to loose all the views, database and settings, by doing a fresh live installation!
You can see the version in xbmc, depends on skin where you can find it. usually updating works, but no guarantees. Database is usually fine, never had that dissapear in an update.

cloverfield Wrote:Ok, so
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y (what's -y | && is stitching the commands to each other?)

How can I check if it went succesful, or check the current version?

If I install the final of 9.11 (xbmcfreak.nl has one made a live version for the ion 330), i can update in the future to another new stable version of xbmc?

The problem is that I have a complete configured system and don't want to loose all the views, database and settings, by doing a fresh live installation!
cloverfield Wrote:Ok, so
sudo apt-get update

-f means that it should attempt to resolve broken dependancies. It's one of those switches that usually does nothing, i usually just throw it in there if I suspect upgrading would require new packages to be installed (i.e. if the new version depends on new packages).

-y means it supresses confirmation. It assums you'll say yes to whatever it promts you (which is usually just press Y to confirm that I'll now upgrade).

And yes && just means it'll execute those two commands after each other.
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
is the same as:
sudo apt-get update <enter>
sudo apt-get upgrade <enter>

cloverfield Wrote:How can I check if it went succesful, or check the current version?

You can check the version number i System Information in the XBMC GUI.

And I don't see why you wouldn't be able to ugprade xbmcfreak.nl's live image.
jonassw Wrote:sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
is the same as:
sudo apt-get update <enter>
sudo apt-get upgrade <enter>

Actually it is not. If sudo apt-get update is successfull (returns 0), then it is the same. If first command fails, then another will not be executed.
mpukki Wrote:Actually it is not. If sudo apt-get update is successfull (returns 0), then it is the same. If first command fails, then another will not be executed.
True that.
jonassw Wrote:You can check the version number i System Information in the XBMC GUI.

And I don't see why you wouldn't be able to ugprade xbmcfreak.nl's live image.
Thanks for the (non quoted) info, i am learning linux as I read posts here Nerd

I found the XBMC version number (still the RC), but I can't find the nVidia driver version. Is that also updated with the update commands??

Well, can that be an non-data loss upgrade? I guess if I choose "install to hd" while booting this new live cd, it will make a fresh installation instead of altering the updated files... right?
I would also like some documentation as to how to upgrade drivers..
First of all i recomend running official releases xbmc freak is not
supported by the team so maybe redirect your questions to those who made it.

Second a Debug Log is always nice instead of using 10 posts to guess what the problem might be.

third thing to do is to download the official xbmc liv-usb/cd image and boot from that. If it works with either the usb or cd it's not a problem with the official
versions. then the problem is either the xbmcfreak release or something you have done to fuck stuff up. i suggest doing this first actually.

see my signature on how to post about a problem.
PointOfView Nvidia ION Atom 330 - TRANSCEND 2GB DDR2 DIMM 800MHz - G.SKILL 64GB SSD 2.5
Open Elec Beta4 1.95.4
XBMC Online Manual - HOW-TO post about a problem in a useful manner - Create/View Bug Report
Setup/Fix correct resolution on XBMC/Ubuntu - Usefull linux terminal commands
I greatly appreciate threads like this where problems are discussed and hopefully resolved. It makes finding it via searches much easier!

I have the same issues that are being dicussed here.

I ran apt-get update && upgrade on my ASRock ION330HT running XBMC Live, but was no longer able to launch my XMBC Live install due to the opengl driver issues. I'd also appreciate it if someone posts the accepted solution for upgrading a XBMC Live install with the latest drivers. Could we get an answer on how to install the NVidia drivers, and anything else that needs configuring to get XBMC Live back up and running after an ubuntu upgrade?

Thanks all!
sudo nvidia-installer --update -a -s -f

this command fixes grahpics drivers

thanks
abs

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] How to install XBMC Live and update things?0