ps3 controller (gamepad) to control XBMC?
Thumbs Up 
Just an FYI

I spent several days figuring out how to get the ps3 sixaxis controller functional with XBMC Dharma on a standard windows 7 x64 installation. I think this may require at least the professional version but cannot confirm this.

In brief
Install and configure motionjoy (http://www.motioninjoy.com/download) and ensure you get the ps3 6axis functioning flawlessly with this software before proceeding. FYI:I am running build Version 0.6.0003(signature) which is signed for functionality in Windows 7 so ignore any posts asking for you to disable hardware tokens.

Once you are content that it is fully functional there is a local only version download available from the forum thus you will not need to be online (but this is not a must).

The next step is to set your controller to emulate the xbox 360 controller (just a work around for simplicity for now) Just slick xbox and click enable inside motionjoy, click on game controller properties and do a quick to test to see if it works (not all buttons will work in emulation mode but its fine).

After this you will have to install eventghost, when eventghost is installed add in xbmc2 plugin (within eventghost tree {under programs}) and then add joystick controller (inside eventghost) http://www.eventghost.org/downloads/.

Now you should see the button presses from the ps3 6axis controller display inside eventghost.

Simply click and drag your button events over to the xbmc tree where that best suits your needs.

Its not perfect but good enough for now.

Hope this helps

CiaoCool
a) Motionjoy/Eventghost is not available for Linux and thus does not create a viable solution.
b) You can do easier than that - most likely the device is not recognized properly due to bad naming.

Are you sure you used the correct name for it (I would suggest that it is "PLAYSTATION®3 Controller" without the adress)?
Go to your Userdata-Folder and check your "xbmc.log"-File. There should be a line that reads something like
Code:
NOTICE: Enabled Joystick: XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)
NOTICE: Details: Total Axis: 5 Total Hats: 1 Total Buttons: 10

Use the line behind "Enabled Joystick:" for the name of your joystick in the XML-Keymap-File. If it still doesn't work properly, you may have to check the correct button-assignment first.

Move the Keymap-File to another location, so XBMC does not load it at startup. Now connect your gamepad and run XBMC afterwards. Open the settings-menu and enable the debug-logging. After you enabled it you may restart your XBMC (to shorten the log-file) or (on Linux) I would recommend to open up a terminal window and do a tail on the log-file of XBMC after enabling the debug-logging.

XBMC will notify you now about each and every button you have pressed in the logfile - go ahead and press every button on the controller and use every thumbstick, write down in which order you pressed them so you can match them later to the logfile. You'll be able to figure out which button-id stands for what button, and which axis-id for which axis and so on. Later you should be able to assign those buttons in the keymap file.

Also: Check out my guide below, I explain it in there too (under XBMC -> Extras -> Gamepad), although it is aimed at Windows-Users but may apply to you as well.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ps3 controller (gamepad) to control XBMC?0