• 3(current)
[LIVE] XBMC unresponsive hangs when idle for a while
bossanova808 Wrote:Yes I've tried this too with no success.

And turning on debug logging still prevents your system to hang?
Because in that case I can provide some debug logs. Wink

And the funny thing is that I can connect to the htpc via SSH while xbmc hangs.
Just one more user with the same problem (on both of my XBMC boxes). Both are Acer Revo 1600 with Ubuntu/XBMC-standalone running 9.11 stable and connecting to a Win 7 PC that is my file server. I use a password protected share that is set up in fstab for a permanent automount.

In my case, after a long idle period, a few remote commands will be received, and then the box hangs for 2-5 minutes before executing all of the commands I tried in the interim. Sometimes it is more permanent and I have to reboot.

Does anyone think there is a chance that this is Ubuntu behavior that shuts down an idle network share connection after so long? When the user first tries to execute a command, it works, but then realizes it can't access any content, so it pauses until it reestablishes the connection? That's my working theory, but I have no idea how to test it, or if there is a way to set Ubuntu to never let the network share sleep, etc.

Thoughts?
------------------------------------------
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
Thumbs Up 
EZ44 Wrote:I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring as I am experiencing a very similar issue. Essentially if I leave my XBMC Zotac MAG HD-ND01 (Ion) system on it will freeze after xx minutes or hours. If I leave it on at night I guarantee it'll be hung when I check it in the morning. For weeks, numerous installs, re-installs of XBMC then switching to XBMC-Live, etc have not solved my problem. I originally tried this on my newer type Mac Mini (9400 chipset) and was going to bash it with a hammer but decided to buy the Zotac. Unfortunately no difference on the Zotac and I have run multiple memory, cpu, hdd tests on both the Zotac and Mini and they all passed with no errors. I wasn't able to get an actual debug log, just the standard xbmc.log and a dmesg. If I get a debug log can I append it to the open ticket somehow or is there a way to open a new ticket and link them??

Sounds cruel but it's actually nice to see that it's not just me. Otherwise there would be a Zotac htpc shaped hole through my plasma... just kidding, not really!

Wink

Well it looks like my XBMC Live install is now rock solid. I am on currently on SVN version 28256 (March 1st build) and NVIDIA driver 190.53. This is one the configurations that was freezing. I read through some dmseg and xbmc logs and seen a few things that triggered an interest. One of them was Pulseaudio which also seemed to give errors a few lines from the bottom of the logs. I use alsa sound so I found instructions to completely remove it from the system. After the next freeze no Pulseaudio references at at all in the logs so at least I eliminated one possibility. The next events that bothered me were these 'switch state s0' (or similar) ACPI errors. I went into the bios of my Zotac Ion and changed the ACPI - AUTO line and to ACPI - S3. I just thought maybe XBMC was trying to flip the power states back and forth eventually causing a hang. I also changed one more setting in the Power Settings from Disabled to Enabled but don't recall what it was. I am pretty sure that was just a minor change, but who knows. Anyways, I am not an expert nor can I state that this wasn't just an absolute coincidence but since making those changes I have been 24/7 (on/idle) for over a week. As a side note, I went from SAMBA for NFS shares as well but I'm almost positive that was previous to my success (meaning it froze with NFS shares in the past).

Not sure if this means a darn thing but at least it might give those affected something to try. I will keep everyone posted should anything change, GOOD LUCK!

Big Grin
any update on this ?
did any of the devs seen this problem ?
My Ubuntu machine with XBMC on it has stopped hanging after being idle ever since I turned off navigation sounds. I'm using the pulse sound system.

Has been working fine for more about a week now which is a record.
I'm experiencing the same problem.
Turning off navigation sounds didn't solve it.

Edit: XBMC-live latest SVN, Asrock ION 330 Pro
Happens to me too, all the time actually. I have buttons on the remote to kill XBMC and start it again, but it's still horribly annoying.
Drewdatrip Wrote:Sorry for the ambiguity Box. i Will post the log when i get home tonight as for the details
Ubuntu 9.10 standard Distro 32bit
XBMC 9.11: Camelot
Install Method: PPA

Hardware Specs are Acer Revo 1600, w/ upgraded ram 2gbs

As for the issue with the device idles for 40+ mins after any playback the device will hang and not be responsive. Standard install power profiles, with no edits
Again ill post log when i get home

Drew
I just started another thread, but your description matches my problem exactly. I also have the same machine.
Posted this in another thread also, so sorry for repeating. Just thought it was good to have it related to the bug report.

I had a problem with the exact same description for a long time.
XBMC worked fine, but after an extended time idle, it froze when starting a playback of video. I could navigate around without any problem before starting a video, but at the moment i started playback it froze. Checked the OS, and it was still running. XBMC did not seem to have crashed either. Checked the XBMC log and no spesific indication of the problem.

Found out by chance it was related to my NAS. Or spesifically the harddrive powersaving feature. When the NAS disks were suspended and I started a playback this freeze would happen. Maybe XBMC were waiting for a response or something... dont really know for sure. Have also read that my NAS disks has some suspend issues (WD2002FYPS), so it could be that.

Anyways... disabled the suspend feature on the NAS and problem went away. Guess I just have to burn some extra juice to keep from getting annoyed ay my system. worth it though
I wouldn't like to disable the suspend mode on my Syno but I also think that the Problem could be related to this. When I start a Movie or Episode from the recently added list, it happens time to time that it freezes shortly and I have to click the "Link" again to start the playback.

When my XBMC starts it is updating the databases automaticly and for this it has to wakeup my NAS and all connected USB Drives which are selected for the search. It never freezed while it was searching and as far as I can see at this point no HDD should be in suspend mode anymore and there should be no possibility that this causes the loong freeze.

Anyway. I will give it a try. If it solves the problem we can at least point at the issue with a ticket.

Thx a lot

happy easter

Greetz
I'm not sure that's causing the problem for everyone. I just use a Windows 7 file server that never turns off, and still have this problem very frequently. I suppose it could be related to the HDDs needing to spin up, but that shouldn't take 2-3 minutes to respond... at least it doesn't when I access them locally.

Are others having this problem with USB hard drives that are directly attached, or any other storage other than NAS devices? That would help to prove/disprove the NAS-theory.
Dharma Quick Setup Guide:
XBMC tips on the TechNazgul Blog
Yes there's definitely more than one problem being discussed.

The OP (that's me) is not having problems related to menu sounds (which are off) and I am pretty sure it's not a NAS issue as my media is ona variety of internal and external drives connected to the Win7 server - most of it on a DroboPro that is set to never spin down the disks (I'm too impartient to wait 3 mins for media, or more to the point my toddler is!).

I am reasonably confident it is a more general Win7 Samba issue...but I am not sure, and we're not getting any love from the devs...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
My Samba shares are on a Win7 server, too. And the disks are never spinning down.
I also have my content on a Win7 computer where turning off HDDs is disabled.
I'm also running XBMC 9.11 on Ubuntu 9.10, Running NVidia 195.36.15, alsa audio. I'm seeing the same problem. Overnight, XBMC hangs. ps -e reveals high cpu-time:

1876 ? 00:00:00 xbmc
1884 ? 01:11:20 xbmc.bin

I do not have any samba shares. I'm connecting to NFS shares mounted in fstab.

Here's my mount options: auto,soft,wsize=32768,rsize=32768

I'm also running XBMC on the machine hosting the shares, and I haven't encountered the problem. I recently tried switching from hard to soft nfs mounts to avoid this problem.

Anyhow, just wanted to chime in and say that I think the Windows 7 SMB shares are a red herring, or perhaps it's just shares in general giving XBMC a difficult time.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] XBMC unresponsive hangs when idle for a while0