[LINUX] How do I complile Broadcom Crystal HD driver on Ubuntu Karmic?
nevermind.. i compiled using distcc for more speed over two quad core servers. Something was a bit screwed i guess with the binaries because now with localhost only compiling (a LOOOOOT of time... vs a few minutes) the rendering of the Broadcom HD is all in good color and fluidity.

BUT. the speed of the VDPAU is waay waaay below the official latest build. is this normal? i have nvidia 185 drivers.

edit: here is the xbmc.log from this run:

http://www.box.net/shared/a6y3tyq9zf
dlbogdan Wrote:nevermind.. i compiled using distcc for more speed over two quad core servers. Something was a bit screwed i guess with the binaries because now with localhost only compiling (a LOOOOOT of time... vs a few minutes) the rendering of the Broadcom HD is all in good color and fluidity.

BUT. the speed of the VDPAU is waay waaay below the official latest build. is this normal? i have nvidia 185 drivers.

edit: here is the xbmc.log from this run:

http://www.box.net/shared/a6y3tyq9zf

Not sure what is wrong with VPDAU but it would be best to start a new post asking about that. Let's try to keep this thread CrystalHD related, ok ?
After many many hours of try-out and compilation i've found the problem core.
Actually i've only found the solution to my problem (sluggish playback on dual core atom and nvidia / broadcom crystal hd) not the problem itself, though this one can be iterated by some devs of the _tHANG_ xbmc itself Smile

Anyway so now i have a buttery smooth xbmc playing either by vdpau or crystal hd (vdpau seems faster, though it only matters when fast forwarding, the playback itself is perfect with both)

to the point. being an old dog programmer myself (though specialized in automation control) i've hit the nail sort of speak with my installation.
so, let's put it all together in a nice how-to that worked for me:

starting up with any karmic flavor (i chose netbook remix for my htpc), first of all we update the system, then open up a terminal.

Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-source linux-headers-`uname -r` build-essential tofrodos autoconf git-core

git clone git://git.wilsonet.com/crystalhd.git

cd ~/crystalhd/driver/linux
dos2unix *
autoconf
./configure
make
sudo make install

sudo modprobe crystalhd

cd ~/crystalhd/linux_lib/libcrystalhd
make
sudo make install

now let's focus on vdpau libs and drivers...
adding a ppa in karmic it's easy as pie.

first we add the xbmc src ppa in /etc/apt/sources.list
Code:
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu karmic main

we're going to install the driver and libs and get the dependencies for the xbmc
without nvidia-vdpau ppa build-dep would have downloaded nvidia 185 libs instead of 190 --> thus the problems if you do have 190+ driver installed.

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev
sudo apt-get build-dep xbmc

next.. let's install the official nvidia 190 xserver drivers:
so.. first we stop xserver

Code:
service gdm stop
cd ~
wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/190.53/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg1.run
sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.53-pkg1.run

from now on it's all classic, we pull down the latest xbmc svn and compile it.

Code:
cd ~
svn co https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/trunk/ XBMC

cd XBMC
./bootstrap
./configure
make clean
make -j4
sudo make install

you can either reboot the HTPC or better yet start gdm by issuing

Code:
service gdm start

edit: for getting the cpu further down in utilization ( from 15-25 % by playing 1080p bluray m2ts to 3-4%) you should just disable GPU scaling in nvidia panel, and set the display mode to _centered_.

i also suggest installing first hand of the wonderful ccache. it will let you recompile a lot faster upcoming svn pullsSmile

Applause for the XBMC-Team for making such a wonderful piece of software!
Bravo!
Hi, first of all thanks to all developers and hardworking people especially for the Crystal HD support.
When I first read about this about a month ago I decided to spend some time testing XBMC with Crystal HD support. I ordered my BCM70012 via ebay and it arrived very fast considering the long way it had to take. I already run a Server (Mac Mini) which hosts all my videos (.mkv) and up to now I was using a WDTV Live but it lacks a lot of functions. Although video playback of all my video files is perfect even 40Mbps BD Rips play smooth I thought I give a try and as long as my Apple TV did not arrive I took my D945GSEJT which I recently bought because of another project. After some reading and non-successful installations of Linux I decided to give Ubuntu 9.10 a try, the only distribution I tested that immediately worked on this board and which also supported the on-board NIC (I assume there are other distributions that work as well, but FC12 and Ubuntu 8.04 definitively don't work).

First I installed the standard xbmc, which of course lacks support for the Crystal HD, just to see how it works.

Then I first checked svn 26614 and compiled crystal HD library and xbmc from scratch as described in detail by dlbogdan and atbrandt (thanks a lot, works without problems except that my system takes ages to compile Big Grin )The Crystal HD was recognized immediately but the performance was very low. I only got about 8 to 10 fps for 1080p and not even the full frame rate for DVD Rips (576p). So I was a little disappointed. I tried via the shares of my data server as well as with movies I copied first to my local computer.

So I decided to give a newer version a tried

Quote:Path: XBMC
URL: http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/trunk
Repository Root: http://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc
Repository UUID: 568bbfeb-2a22-0410-94d2-cc84cf5bfa90
Revision: 27549
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: monkeyman_67156
Last Changed Rev: 27549
Last Changed Date: 2010-02-07 17:46:51 +0100 (Sun, 07 Feb 2010)

Now the performance is much better but still files via the network don't play smooth. Local copies of 1080p 20Mbps almost play perfect.

Local copies of DVD (720x576) are not decocded by crystal Hd but rather by libmpeg2, I thought it would also support MPEG-2? My CPUs are at 65% and playback stutters a little.

When playing movies over SMB the performance and playback is not acceptable and I have a lot of dropped frames, also I get zillions of the following error message
Quote:smbc_set_credentials_with_fallback: allocation fail
smbc_set_credentials_with_fallback: allocation fail

Which options are recommended to improve performance? Is there a thread about this?

Also does the use of a no Full HD Screen have an impact on performance?

The goal still is to get an Apple TV, but the D945GSEJT would be y nice board to build an absolutly silent client.
cbscpe Wrote:Hi, first of all thanks to all developers and hardworking people especially for the Crystal HD support.
When I first read about this about a month ago I decided to spend some time testing XBMC with Crystal HD support. I ordered my BCM70012 via ebay and it arrived very fast considering the long way it had to take. I already run a Server (Mac Mini) which hosts all my videos (.mkv) and up to now I was using a WDTV Live but it lacks a lot of functions. Although video playback of all my video files is perfect even 40Mbps BD Rips play smooth I thought I give a try and as long as my Apple TV did not arrive I took my D945GSEJT which I recently bought because of another project. After some reading and non-successful installations of Linux I decided to give Ubuntu 9.10 a try, the only distribution I tested that immediately worked on this board and which also supported the on-board NIC (I assume there are other distributions that work as well, but FC12 and Ubuntu 8.04 definitively don't work).

First I installed the standard xbmc, which of course lacks support for the Crystal HD, just to see how it works.

Then I first checked svn 26614 and compiled crystal HD library and xbmc from scratch as described in detail by dlbogdan and atbrandt (thanks a lot, works without problems except that my system takes ages to compile Big Grin )The Crystal HD was recognized immediately but the performance was very low. I only got about 8 to 10 fps for 1080p and not even the full frame rate for DVD Rips (576p). So I was a little disappointed. I tried via the shares of my data server as well as with movies I copied first to my local computer.

So I decided to give a newer version a tried

Now the performance is much better but still files via the network don't play smooth. Local copies of 1080p 20Mbps almost play perfect.

Local copies of DVD (720x576) are not decocded by crystal Hd but rather by libmpeg2, I thought it would also support MPEG-2? My CPUs are at 65% and playback stutters a little.

When playing movies over SMB the performance and playback is not acceptable and I have a lot of dropped frames, also I get zillions of the following error message

Which options are recommended to improve performance? Is there a thread about this?

Also does the use of a no Full HD Screen have an impact on performance?

The goal still is to get an Apple TV, but the D945GSEJT would be y nice board to build an absolutly silent client.

If you are getting 8 to 10 fps for 1080p, you are not using CrystalHD. http://www.pastebin.com your xbmc.log, we start from there.
i also have a low framerate with crystalhd on my dell mini 10 (z530 & gma500) and a small issue with Auto, the colors of any video are wrong, but setting Broadcom Crystal HD explicit the colors are correct

this is my debug log
http://pastebin.com/m4b2e3562
HTPC: Zotac ION 330 on Linux Gentoo/Ubuntu BD Remote (bdremote-ng) 20x4 USB LCD
Kali Wrote:i also have a low framerate with crystalhd on my dell mini 10 (z530 & gma500) and a small issue with Auto, the colors of any video are wrong, but setting Broadcom Crystal HD explicit the colors are correct

this is my debug log
http://pastebin.com/m4b2e3562

Your xorg conf should have this.

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

pulseaudio running ? pulseaudio -k
composite was already disabled, now i have removed pulseaudio, better but framerate is low, ~20 with 720p and ~10 with 1080p and xbmc-cpu in osd is always 90%-100%
i have also stopped rsyslog, take up 6% of cpu (for crystalhd log ?)
Code:
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.190941] list_index:1 rx[5372] Y:10 UV:10 Int:2800 YDnSz:168a0 UVDnSz:b4a0
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.298775] list_index:0 rx[5373] Y:2 UV:2 Int:28 YDnSz:2020 UVDnSz:1060
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.331494] list_index:0 rx[5374] Y:2 UV:2 Int:28 YDnSz:2aa0 UVDnSz:15c0
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.350166] list_index:1 rx[5375] Y:10 UV:10 Int:2800 YDnSz:b080 UVDnSz:58a0
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.375865] list_index:0 rx[5376] Y:2 UV:2 Int:28 YDnSz:2c520 UVDnSz:16300
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.405630] list_index:0 rx[5377] Y:2 UV:2 Int:28 YDnSz:22880 UVDnSz:114a0
HTPC: Zotac ION 330 on Linux Gentoo/Ubuntu BD Remote (bdremote-ng) 20x4 USB LCD
cbscpe Wrote:The goal still is to get an Apple TV, but the D945GSEJT would be y nice board to build an absolutly silent client.

I'm using the same mobo with a CrystalHD card and I don't have any of the problems you mention, I'm using Mandriva Linux 2010.0 on it (with X11 Composite-extension disabled and Pulseaudio disabled), playback of DVDs is smooth (25% cpu load avg.), 1080p m2ts and mkv mostly too, my main issue is currently lip-sync, but Davilla said that's a known issue and he is working on it so I'm sure that will be solved eventually too.

Maybe you should try Mandriva 2010.0 instead of Ubuntu?
I'm sure you could fix the issues in Ubuntu too, but Mandriva 2010.0 works great out-of-the-box on this mobo and disabling Composite and Pulseaudio is just a few mouse clicks in the Mandriva Control Center, so it might be the easier solution.
Kali Wrote:composite was already disabled, now i have removed pulseaudio, better but framerate is low, ~20 with 720p and ~10 with 1080p and xbmc-cpu in osd is always 90%-100%
i have also stopped rsyslog, take up 6% of cpu (for crystalhd log ?)
Code:
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.190941] list_index:1 rx[5372] Y:10 UV:10 Int:2800 YDnSz:168a0 UVDnSz:b4a0
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.298775] list_index:0 rx[5373] Y:2 UV:2 Int:28 YDnSz:2020 UVDnSz:1060
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.331494] list_index:0 rx[5374] Y:2 UV:2 Int:28 YDnSz:2aa0 UVDnSz:15c0
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.350166] list_index:1 rx[5375] Y:10 UV:10 Int:2800 YDnSz:b080 UVDnSz:58a0
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.375865] list_index:0 rx[5376] Y:2 UV:2 Int:28 YDnSz:2c520 UVDnSz:16300
Feb  8 03:37:27 xbmc-netbook kernel: [  612.405630] list_index:0 rx[5377] Y:2 UV:2 Int:28 YDnSz:22880 UVDnSz:114a0

how about a full xbmc.log, use http://www.pastebin.com
ion_man Wrote:I'm using the same mobo with a CrystalHD card and I don't have any of the problems you mention, I'm using Mandriva Linux 2010.0 on it (with X11 Composite-extension disabled and Pulseaudio disabled), playback of DVDs is smooth (25% cpu load avg.), 1080p m2ts and mkv mostly too, my main issue is currently lip-sync, but Davilla said that's a known issue and he is working on it so I'm sure that will be solved eventually too.

Maybe you should try Mandriva 2010.0 instead of Ubuntu?
I'm sure you could fix the issues in Ubuntu too, but Mandriva 2010.0 works great out-of-the-box on this mobo and disabling Composite and Pulseaudio is just a few mouse clicks in the Mandriva Control Center, so it might be the easier solution.

audio sync is resolved, see the sticky. if you are running that svn for greater and still have audio sync issues, you know the drill.
davilla Wrote:audio sync is resolved, see the sticky. if you are running that svn for greater and still have audio sync issues, you know the drill.

Which sticky?
Can see any related sticky in this sub-forum... :confused2:
ion_man Wrote:Which sticky?
Can see any related sticky in this sub-forum... :confused2:

OK, I built svn27563 and tested it, I'm pleased to say that lip-sync is indeed very much improved, near perfect, there are still moments where I notice very slight lip-sync issues but I doubt I would have noticed them if I hadn't been looking for it.

But I'm having issues with 1080p h264 content now (that used to work fine before), in mkv containers I get occasional macroblocking artifacts and in m2ts the fps is down to 15-19 on average. I have to test this further and can provide you with some samples later today.
davilla Wrote:If you are getting 8 to 10 fps for 1080p, you are not using CrystalHD. http://www.pastebin.com your xbmc.log, we start from there.

Sorry, can't do that anymore as the new SVN did show 24fps on 1080p. So I have no clue why this was with the previous SVN tree. What bothers me more is that playing via SMB the movie stutter even if the frame rate is correct. I also noticed that CPU load using SMB over local drive is up to 20% higher. I think that the constant error messages regarding SMB are one cause of that. Google did mention this problem but not the cause and the fix for that.
Hello,

Ubuntu 9.10 here, ati x1250 laptop with r300 chip.

I'm using Xbcm svn 27573

I'm getting poor fps ( 11-13 ) on different 1080p videos, also Audio is pretty low.

Here is the log : http://www.pastebin.org/88346

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] How do I complile Broadcom Crystal HD driver on Ubuntu Karmic?0