Playback 720p in 1080p or switch to 720p for best quality?
I have now setup my live build of camelot to run in 1080p and switch to 24p as necessary. My query is everything currently plays back in 1080p resolution, even 720p and SD. Is there a quality difference in outpputing for insance 720p at 720p (and letting the TV upscale) vs xbmc up scaling and outputting at 720p?

The reason I ask is when using windows the colour on my samsung 40" 620 is not as good in 1080p as it is in 720p. Colours seem more washed out.

I havent added any other resolutions to my xorg.conf apart from 1080p. If I did would xbmc be able to not only switch frame rate but also resolution based on the source? Rolleyes
Someone recently told me that xbmc does not change resolution of the fly, so its kinda pointless in adding a shitload of ModeLine's in xorg.conf (witch i had done lol)

Now I'm just using 1080@60 1080@50 and 1080@24

I also noticed when adding all resolutions my TV supported, some files would not play at all, that was the main reason i started digging in this the first place.
calmdown Wrote:Someone recently told me that xbmc does not change resolution of the fly, so its kinda pointless in adding a shitload of ModeLine's in xorg.conf (witch i had done lol)

Now I'm just using 1080@60 1080@50 and 1080@24

I also noticed when adding all resolutions my TV supported, some files would not play at all, that was the main reason i started digging in this the first place.

I too just have these 3 modelines (much becuase I couldnt be bothered to add them all). when switching frame rate, the screen blanks for 1-2 seconds as the screen redetects the frame rate, much the same if a source or resolution was changed. Because of this it would make no difference if they changed the res aswell.

I think a 720p output would be better quality for a 720p source, not sure if anyone can confirm but if this is the case it would be a good thing for the team to add.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playback 720p in 1080p or switch to 720p for best quality?0