• 8(current)
3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work?
Anyone tried streaming SBS 3D mkvs on a PS3 yet? I've been using them on my Dharma HTPC on my Mitsubishi 73" set and wonder if I'm missing out on the quality now. Maybe I need to be using the PS3.
BDPNA Wrote:Anyone tried streaming SBS 3D mkvs on a PS3 yet? I've been using them on my Dharma HTPC on my Mitsubishi 73" set and wonder if I'm missing out on the quality now. Maybe I need to be using the PS3.

My understanding is that ps3mediaserver can stream half SBS movies easily.

That's what I have running. I'll have to do a comparison to my Dharma box with a SBS video to see if it does a better job on the PS3.
Please, Please report back your findings.

I'll be testing a lot of this on my Panasonic when it arrives today. Big Grin
Anyone tried to setup TMT as external player for XBMC?
PS3 Media Server seems to be choking when streaming SBS to my PS3 even over a gigabit hard wired LAN, so I'll have to look into it later. I can definitely see what you mean regarding the flat 3d look using Dharma and SBS. I mean, it's working, but I really get the impression it could be a heck of a lot better.

I might even try moving my LG Bluray up there to see how it does to see if it performs better like your Samsung did.

I wasn't close to considering a Boxee box due to all the complaints they had but if it's got 3D support that's a big plus. If only I liked their interface better.
Vultures Wrote:Anyone tried to setup TMT as external player for XBMC?

Yes, and I couldn't get anything to work that was remote driven. Pretty frustrating.

I see... I'll skip that then.
I am using Logitech diNovo to mount BD3D ISO, and to manage TMT (autoruns on mount). Almost seamless. And by the way, stereopairs suck everywhere, not just XBMC.
Ok, I learned from some poking around that even though Boxee has SBS 3D menu and subtitle support, it still suffers from the same issues in 3D mode of excess crosstalk. I imagine at this point it has to be a FFMPEG issue, which runs both, and that it won't get fixed faster than FFMPEG's natural pace.

poofyhairguy, is your calibration maybe a bit off? You need 1:1 pixel mapping to get the two images aligned perfectly over each other.
I do not notice any difference in cross talk between XBMC and using built in media player in my Samsung TV
I am not sure, how crosstalk affects actual picture, but in my system stereopairs cause trouble with small objects, especially on the forward plane ("ahead" of TV). This affects stuff like bubbles, explosions debris, branches etc. They look "wrong", out of focus is you will. It appears that left eye and right eye views are either out of sync or misplaced, and the issue occurs in all files with all players. BD3D on the other hand are perfect. I have watched Guardians of Ga'hoole (ISO from 50 GB disk) a couple of days ago. The experience was awesome. So awesome, that I have dumped all stereopair files, and downloaded the corresponding ISOs.
ECEC Wrote:I'll be testing a lot of this on my Panasonic when it arrives today. Big Grin

Well, unfortunately this experience didn't go well. After reading around quite a bit, I picked up a plasma set, but I wasn't prepared for how reflective the screen is compared to my old LCD. In the day time, the thing is a mirror and you can barely see the picture. At night, it's absolutely gorgeous. So I'm returning it.

I tried some half SBS files via XBMC and they seemed out of whack slightly, like the picture didn't line up. The stuff on the PS3 looked great, although I'm still not sold on the tech in general. Even playing Wipeout in 3d for a few minutes was enough to get me aggravated at the glasses.

Guess I'll be returning my new GT430 as well.
ECEC Wrote:After reading around quite a bit, I picked up a plasma set, but I wasn't prepared for how reflective the screen is compared to my old LCD. In the day time, the thing is a mirror and you can barely see the picture. At night, it's absolutely gorgeous. So I'm returning it.
Don't do it! Buy drapes or blinds. Drapes are better, there's special "blackout" fabric that will do the trick just fine. I've been in the exactly same situation, so I guess you can trust me...
Vultures,

How did you get the ISO of the BD3D to play? What was your software and did you stream or play local?
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
3DTV Support - Play "3D" Movies in XBMC plus have GUI / OSD and subtitles just work?5