XBMC and Mac Firewall Popup
OK thanks everyone for this great workaround,

I followed the earlier post but still have some issues first is syntax (no doubt a typo)

'codesign -vvv /Path/To/xbmc.app' is misleading, an example of the path would be so much more helpful. this worked for me
Code:
codesign -vvv '/Volumes/YourHardDriveName/Applications/xbmc.app'

next had to install Xcode. Latest version helped out a lot, but if using an older version we may need to apply a link
Code:
ln -s /usr/bin/codesign_allocate /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/codesign_allocate

I believe this link applies to an older Xcode version, either way with it or the latest Xcode or even Xcode installed at all we may get an error "cannot find code object on disk"

Then this worked
Code:
export CODESIGN_ALLOCATE="/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/codesign_allocate"

Applied new certificate
Code:
codesign -f -s XBMC '/Volumes/YourHardDriveName/xbmc.app'
results in
replacing existing signature

then validation
Code:
codesign -vvv '/Volumes/YourHardDriveName/xbmc.app'
results in
valid on disk
satisfies it's designated requirement

Don't forget to remove and reinstall the firewall entry (like I just did) then YAY success

Thanks to all for this fix to a very frustrating issue
I used this method successfully when I was using Snow Leopard but the codesign procedure does not seem to be working with OSX Mountain Lion.

When I use the codesign with my own certificate I receive this error message: "object file format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable"

Any idea how to solve this with Mountain Lion
Thumbs Down 
i am stacked on it since several months, on Mountain Lion, i can not found any solution Confused

what i "found" is, if i install just the XBMC, clean from the root without add-ons the Firewall window don't pop-up, as soon as i install add-ons i am gifted with this shitty firewall window Sad

i thinks it is related with the new function the Apple guys did in "Security & Privacy" panel.

the option until now is to turn off the Firewall Confused or stand-up and click on the mouse to accept incoming connections Confused
After the step 3, I have received this error:

Object file format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable
mac:Applications

What can be wrong?
Same problem here, once installed addons I get the message from firewall all the time. Sad
(mac mini, OSX 10.7.5, Frodo 12.20)
A solution that helped me after I received the "Object file format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable" message:

http://iosdevelopertips.com/mac-osx/code...table.html

After that, simply remove xbmc from the firewall and then re-add it.
HTH.
This solutions worked perfectly for me on Mountain Lion - i'm now haven issues since upgrading to Mavericks!

It would appear as though Xcode 5.0.1 has removed the ability to self sign through the command line tools... has anyone got a work around for this yet?

(I've used Gotham A8 - but have reverted back to Frodo 12.2 with the Mavericks patch until the 12.3 fix is released).

ALSO - why can the file not be signed from XBMC as part of the distribution?
Apple iMac 27" Mid 2010 Model (3.2 GHZ Intel i3 / 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 / ATi HD 5670) = running XBMC Frodo RC2
HiMedia Q5 Android TV Box/media streamer = running non-neon XBMC Frodo RC2
ASUS Padfone 2 (64GB with Padstation) = running XBMC Frodo RC2
We could if you say a self signed cert would be enough. Patches are welcome. (XBMC Foundation has no official signing identity though!)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2013-10-29, 10:03)Memphiz Wrote: We could if you say a self signed cert would be enough. Patches are welcome. (XBMC Foundation has no official signing identity though!)

Hi Memphiz,

As long as the application is signed it should be an issue. The current problem exists because there is no security certificate at all (hence why the workaround was to self sign). We don't have this option anymore as since Mavericks was introduced - Xcode was also updated from 5.0 to 5.0.1 (which removed the command line tools that were used to sign packages in this workaround).

My understanding is that it shouldn't matter that XBMC Foundation has no official signing identity - all that will happen is the end user will be prompted by a notification box saying that the app is from an unknown developer and will give you the option of opening it. Once open and authorised - it should allow you to add a proper exception to the firewall.

If anyone wants to sign the package and send me it - i'd be happy to test (and log?).
Apple iMac 27" Mid 2010 Model (3.2 GHZ Intel i3 / 12 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 / ATi HD 5670) = running XBMC Frodo RC2
HiMedia Q5 Android TV Box/media streamer = running non-neon XBMC Frodo RC2
ASUS Padfone 2 (64GB with Padstation) = running XBMC Frodo RC2
Any cmdline you used to sign it?
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi pangster,

I am using Mavericks as well and have not yet found a solution. I tried both of the suggestions in posts 14 and 16 about code sign_allocate. I still get:

Code:
/Applications/XBMC.app: bundle format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable
In subcomponent: /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Frameworks/lib/python2.6
i am also locking for a solution for mavericks.
Looking as well for a solution. :-(
Any luck Mavericks users? Also looking for solution.... Just upgraded to the latest 12.3 Frodo.
(2013-11-20, 04:28)crud302 Wrote: Hi pangster,

I am using Mavericks as well and have not yet found a solution. I tried both of the suggestions in posts 14 and 16 about code sign_allocate. I still get:

Code:
/Applications/XBMC.app: bundle format unrecognized, invalid, or unsuitable
In subcomponent: /Applications/XBMC.app/Contents/Frameworks/lib/python2.6

Likewise I am using mavericks and would like a solution Smile
I have upgraded to Frodo 12.3 hoping to see thsi problem fixed but alas not yet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and Mac Firewall Popup1