Small "glitch" when navigating through movies
Hi,

I just have noticed a small "glitch" (don't know how to really call it). When navigating through movies in the library view, the fanart transition does not go from one fanart movie to the other one but instead it goes through the default movie texture. And for a really small time you can see how the transition goes through it. It is more noticeable if the fanarts have similar colours and different from the default movie texture.

Is it possible to fix it in the skin or it is a "limitation" of the xbmc internals...
The transistion is done in such a way that both images are very slightly transparent at the midpoint of the crossfade (they're both at 1/sqrt(2) opacity IIRC). This is the only way a symmetric cross fade can be performed if any one of the images contain anything transparent.

The way to get a "full" cross fade is to hold one of the images fully opaque while you fade the new one in. The problem with this is if the images don't overlap perfectly then you can see the background image at full opacity where they don't overlap. It looks naff (compare the slideshow transistion for instance).

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yea I've seen the glitch and as time passes I'm starting to notice it more.. Laugh I've been meaning to report it, hopefully there's a workaround?

BTW, personally I'd prefer a slightly faster transition, maybe that could help.

Thanks.
There are three options:

1. Completely rewrite the animation engine, allowing all subcontrols to be rendered to a separate render target before being rendered to the screen.
2. Do the crossfade using the method that's used in the slideshow which looks really nasty if the images don't overlap.
3. Put up with a very slight amount of transparency.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

why not just use a visible condition on the regular background, so it won't show when there's a fanart image available?
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
You lose the crossfade from the regular background to the fanart image.

one could use Hidden/Visible fade animations to compensate for that...
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
OK,

I think your discussion is out of my league and I don't know xmbc skinning enough to follow, sorry Big Grin

But, just one simple thing I don't get Blush when you say that fanart images don't overlap. What do you refer to? All my fanart images overlap exactly as I thought they are resized to my screen size Huh

Regards,
pilluli Wrote:I think your discussion is out of my league and I don't know XBMC skinning enough to follow

sorry about that ;-)
jm was explaining how the crossfade between images is implemented in xbmc and why the default background will be somewhat visible during transition.

my point is, you shouldn't display the fanart images 'on top' of the default background.
if the skin makes sure the background is hidden when a fanart image is shown, it won't be visible during fanart transitions either.
jmarshall Wrote:There are three options:

1. Completely rewrite the animation engine, allowing all subcontrols to be rendered to a separate render target before being rendered to the screen.
2. Do the crossfade using the method that's used in the slideshow which looks really nasty if the images don't overlap.
3. Put up with a very slight amount of transparency.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Between 2 and 3, I think a better compromise is going with 2 since fanart should always match in size. I'm guessing that the only way fanart doesn't match is if the user adds custom fanart manually and messes up with size? At least in that case it's fixable, and it should be an exception rather than the rule. Whereas with option 3 the user can't do anything about it.

Number 1 sounds sexay, but I guess that's up to whoever wants to take on the challenge...
FYI Mediastream 1.5 got released recently and I noticed the transitions don't have the glitch and I haven't noticed an overlap issue from the fanart I have.
migueld Wrote:FYI Mediastream 1.5 got released recently and I noticed the transitions don't have the glitch and I haven't noticed an overlap issue from the fanart I have.

Maybe someone with some xbmc skin knowledge can highlight the code that handles that? Maybe then it'll be easy to backport it to Confluence. Confused
Thanks for reporting this pilluli, I especially notice the transition when selecting tv shows from the home panel (with custom background on home) it switches to the default wallpaper just before it loads the view.
Louike Wrote:Thanks for reporting this pilluli, I especially notice the transition when selecting tv shows from the home panel (with custom background on home) it switches to the default wallpaper just before it loads the view.

Don't say that Louike, I was just happy when I didn't notice it. Now I cannot stop seeing it Laugh Laugh
pilluli Wrote:Don't say that Louike, I was just happy when I didn't notice it. Now I cannot stop seeing it Laugh Laugh

Me too, now I dream about it every night.

j/k Laugh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Small "glitch" when navigating through movies0