Music Genre Art (GenreArt Thumbnails Fan Artwork)
Thumbs Up 
Hi have started creating fanart icons for music genre. With thanks to Asphinx I have been able to use his psd template to keep the images the same as the movie genre images he has created.

We decided to make the images square to keep in with music covers etc as they are usually square and it keeps a good flow. ( please see this thread : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=67184 )

I will be attempting to gradually build up the list with all genres from the id3 lists ( here : http://www.id3.org/id3v2.3.0#head-129376...0288d7c7e7 ) and update this thread as new ones are finished.

If there are specifics you require and not in the current release list please request and I will see what I can do.

All images are 1000x1000 but I have reduced size for a couple of examples.

You can download the images here :

http://www.mediafire.com/?vjminnlutwm

--------------------------
Current List
--------------------------

alt.roc
alternative
ambient
blues
classical
country
dance
death metal
disco
electronic
ethnic
funk
gothic rock
grunge
heavy metal
hip hop
holiday
industrial
jazz
musical
new age
pop
punk
r&b
rap
reggae
rock n roll
rock
ska
soul
soundtrack
trance
This is awesome! I've been after a set of music genres to match the movie ones for some time now. Cheers!

Ones I seem to be missing are:

- Pop
- Easy Listening
- Soundtrack
- DJ (seems to be for continuous mix albums, I guess I could rename dance.jpg but might be nice to have one with a turntable on, or something else, if you can manage it?)
- Holiday (...er, yep, seems I've got a Christmas album in there somewhere :o )
- Other/Unknown (but this should be covered by the default one that Hitcher mentioned in the Alaska thread I assume?)

These all seem to be in the ID3 list (apart from DJ) so apologies if you're already doing them and just wanted esoteric ones not on that list. Otherwise, hope that helps and keep up the good work!
snowdrift Wrote:Ones I seem to be missing are:

- Pop

Some funny old memories came into my mind.

ICE-T Wrote:attention!
if you are offended by words like
s***, b****, f***, d***, a**, h***, c***,
(...), to the maybe twentieth power
whateva..
take the tape out now!
this is not a pop album

Nice work, followed your work while doing it and it was a good idea to make them square and even better not to include pop!

I want to support snowdrift though with soundtracks. The list is lacking the Nu Metal genre, or am I the only one willing to seperate Deftones, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, RATM and KoRn from the rest of the genres?

If you are a perfectionist you might even want to include localizations as german, british and i.e. italian. (Not because I use them). If you do not know where to draw the line, I would i.e. use http://www.last.fm/charts/toptags as german, british and italian will be listet, but - I promise you - Zulu and Namibian never will.

This is the last thing I wanted to add - I would rather use last.fm tag list from above than the list from id3-tags. I always found them a bit confusing to say the least. Even though last.fm is very rock attached it should be the more objective and efficient approach as it reflects what genres people really have. Who knows, maybe they will want to include your pictures some time then Smile

Using last.fm I can tell you quite a lot of people also have their genres called indie, female vocalists and seen life. I must admit, although, that the last two ones should not be encouraged by XBMC skin architecture to be used - it is not like there are thousands of wikis telling people to call their genres as alaska skin's genre-thumbs and the fact is that with a lot of people these genres will come up when selected with xbmc.

Nonetheless - last.fm would agree with snowdrift :> There really would be a need to add a pop genre-thumb.

All in all: Thanks for contributing! No way to improve the work.
Oooh, I can't wait until your done with all the ID3v1 genres. But it's quite a list so I'll wait patiently..

As for the other comments so far, cross-referencing with other places such as Last.FM is a very good idea, although I still think that the ID3v1 is a good list to start of with. For instance Last.FM has a "Albums i own" tag, which seems quite useless for this. But nonetheless, a good source for cross-referencing.

XBMC uses AllMusic.com when scraping music doesn't it?, would also probably be a good place to check out for genres that would show up on a scrape.

I'm now out of two cents.. Smile
Fiinix Design presents: Posters, for Movies, TV Shows, Games, Arcade etc.

» Latest Poster-Pack: The Silhouettes, TV Shows
» Upcoming Poster-Pack: To Be Announced

» Game & Emulator Poster, request here
» Movie/TV Genre Poster, here
Added :

alternative
ambient
disco
gothic rock
holiday
industrial
musical
pop
soundtrack
trance
MrTourettes Wrote:Added :

alternative
ambient
disco
gothic rock
holiday
industrial
musical
pop
soundtrack
trance

Excellent! Thanks. Not sure whether you're aware but "pop" appears to be a png and wasn't picked up by my Aeon until I converted it to jpg like the rest.

Oh, can I also request a "Game" genre too, I seem to have some remixed tracks from Mirrors Edge in my library.
snowdrift Wrote:Excellent! Thanks. Not sure whether you're aware but "pop" appears to be a png and wasn't picked up by my Aeon until I converted it to jpg like the rest

Yup never noticed that Smile thanks for letting me know ill change it next time I upload a new release.
I love the icons you have made up - they are AWESOME!

But how do I make XBMC use them?

I am using the PM3.HD skin if that helps.

Thanks
CPU:Intel 2100 3.1 Ghz RAM:Corsair 4 GB DD3-133 Mobo: Gigabyte H67M-D2-B3 mATX OS HDD: Corsair Nova Series 32GB SSD Storage HDD: WD Green 2 TB Video Card: ASUS EN210 SILENT ODD:
Just wanted to say thanks for making these and they look great. Are they still actively being created?
Hi MrTourettes

Do you still have the original psd used to create these so I can create some more in the same style?

Thanks.
Could someone explain how to put these fine images to good use?
I have downloaded them, but I have no idea where to put them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Genre Art (GenreArt Thumbnails Fan Artwork)0