• 1(current)
Donations for DVD-menu in XBMC campaign
Question 
donations for dvd-menu in xbmc campaign

we have had this idea in mind for a while and were planning to kick of this campaign at a later date but after a recent post in mplayer-dev mailing-list we have decided to bring forward the announcement. the 'donations for dvd-menu in xbmc campaign' basic concept is to encourage xbmc end-users to make donations (via paypal) into a fund in order to motivate the xbmc developers to prioritize programming dvd-video menu/navigation support for xbmc. this concept has been brewing for a few month now as many people have either posted in the forum or e-mailed us directly offering to donate money to this specific cause, which has been the #1 requested feature for quite a while.

so come on, be generous and help support the xbmc project. give donations for how much you feel xbmc is worth to you as a whole if this feature were added to xbmc's already very long feature list. the xbmc developer(s) who code this huge feature will collect the fund-pot on completion as a reward - they have adready started coding.

make your donation towards dvd-menu support in xbmc via paypal: $25, $50, $100, or other.
if like to make a none-paypal (money or maybe a gift) donation please contact gamester17.

list of functions we're looking for:
- use mplayer or other mpeg-2 core for dvd-video playback
  (eg hook/link-into a separate player-core's api/framework)
- display menus from retail authored dvd-video movies
- navigate through authored dvd-video movies (with high-light)
- ifo-parsing (in the player core or integrated into libdvdnav)
- use libdvdcss (in the player core, integrated or seperate dll)
- support 'stills' (ex. from special features)
- dvd-chapter support (in the player core or integrated)
- vobsub display/reader (in the player core or integrated)
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
question: if mplayer is used for the dvd menu support, will the added code also be available to the mplayer developers?
answer: assuming it's written as a plugin to mplayer, then ofcourse the code would be available for the mplayer guys to use.

ofcourse, if mplayer is not used as the base for this, and instead a different library is written, then it won't be any help. there is no requirement for mplayer to be used, and to be honest, i think it'd probably be easier to use something else as a base for it.

cheers,
jonathan

disclaimer: i'm not working on code for this, so take the above with the prequisite grain of salt or two.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

right, i figure that it may be easier to write a separate module for this, but i wanted to make sure that if code was written for mplayer, it'd be available to the mplayer developers, since this has been a desired feature in mplayer for a while.
i've been meaning to donate for a while, this finally broke me down
my $20 is on the way
:kickass:
please remember that mplayer (or the xbox port) does not support interlaced frame... with the media player it's impossible to play interlaced dvd or videos in the right way.
it use only the progressive frame that's is very lame with sports events.

http://www.xboxmediaplayer.de/cgi-bin....terlace
please keep this thread on topic. this is for comments on the dvd menu donation campaign.

thanks,
jonathan

i hate to say this because i have nothing but admiration for you guys and wouldnt be using my xbox without xbmc but here it goes.

it seems kinda odd to me for an open source project to ask money of its users as a prerequisite to implementing a specific feature. if this was a general fund drive for whatever reason than that's cool but this is going towards a specific feature.
i think the thing is charging for a feature request puts you in the awkward position of benefiting from holding out in implementing the feature while simultaneously commiting you to implementing it regardless of the technical feasability.

all that said though i myself would love this feature and know enough about the xbmc architecture and dvds to know this is likely a lot of work to get it done right (ot: i wonder if the source to dvdx would help...). if money is the way to make it happen than so be it.
short answer (since i dont have time for a long answer):

this is nothing more than a "carrot". it won't slow or speedup development of "said feature".

i like the idea of supporting this project, as i use it almost every day. i can't see how this would hurt. i donated $5 i had lying around in an old paypal account. hope this helps!
there is a lot of things i would like to see in xbmc that i would be prepaired to make a donation to have developed.

how about this variation on your idea to collect donations and if it takes off i think it could change the whole open source model

- if you have a request submit it along with a donation
- when it is submitted it goes on a list of requirements
- if other people want it then they can also donate.

the requirement with the highest donations is the one the xbmc team prioritize there work on. if you want to change the teams priorities and get them to work on your requirement then you better make a donation for the requirement you want them to work on.

if you guys do a pilot on this idea and it works then lets propose it to sourceforge so they can add the feature to there site. i am a project manager for many open source projects and i have people email me requirements all the time but unfortunatly in the past i have had no idea what my users believe is the highest priority.
(xbx @ oct. 31 2004,12:17 Wrote:there is a lot of things i would like to see in xbmc that i would be prepaired to make a donation to have developed.

how about this variation on your idea to collect donations and if it takes off i think it could change the  whole open source model

- if you have a request submit it along with a donation
- when it is submitted it goes on a list of requirements
- if other people want it then they can also donate.

the requirement with the highest donations is the one the xbmc team prioritize there work on. if you want to change the teams priorities and get them to work on your requirement then you better make a donation for the requirement you want them to work on.

if you guys do a pilot on this idea and it works then lets propose it to sourceforge so they can add the feature to there site. i am a project manager for many open source projects and i have people email me requirements all the time but unfortunatly in the past i have had no idea what my users believe is the highest priority.
that is slightly too off-topic for this thread, please keep that discussion to its existing topic thread on it (link), tia :d
i use xbmc daily, and while dvd menu's is nice bonus it just dosent cut the mustard, i would gladly donate $100 for one feature that i've been dying to see in there for a long time..

a solution to the interlacing problem...

as i see it, this can be done a number of ways...

realtime software 3:2 pulldown wouldnt be very complicated i dont think.. and this would wonderfully solve probably >90% of interlaced dvd's...

alternatively, an equally viable approach would be adding an option to disable scaling completely..... if mplayer can just output full 1:1 frames at a per pixel level to the frame buffer (i'm sure this is possible) the tv or the tv's deinterlacer will take care of the rest naturally...

there must be some complication i'm overlooking or surely this would have been done already? .. can someone detail this if its not too off topic? (seems fairly on topic to me, i honestly would donate a hundred bucks if the interlacing was fixed)
@TurkeyMan, that is off-topic. again, please keep this thread only on topic of "donations for dvd-menu in xbmc", thanks
i sent a few dollars your way. this feature would make xbmc complete for me.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Donations for DVD-menu in XBMC campaign0