• 115(current)
JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC
Thanks, Montellese, my search-fu was weak today. The proposed solution seems OK.
Hello.

I want to filter partially watched movies (movies started to watched but not finished) in playlist so I use :
Code:
xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "Files.GetDirectory", "params": {"directory": "%s", "media": "video", "properties": ["year", "runtime", "file", "playcount", "rating", "plot", "fanart", "thumbnail", "resume", "trailer"]}, "id": 1}' %(_playlist))
But every movie have the following resume property :
Code:
u'resume': {u'position': 0, u'total': 0}
I have started a movie, fast forwarded it and then stoped it.
When I click to view it, XBMC ask me if I want to watch it from start or from 21:12

So where can I found the information "this movie have been watched for 1272 seconds" ?

Thanks.
Sorry for my english, but, you know, I'm French so ...

Main HTPC : Odroid-C2 running CoreELEC with Titan Bingie
Secondary HTPC : Freebox Mini 4K running Android TV with Titan Bingie
It should be in the "resume" property. I just tested it with one of my movies and this is what I get from VideoLibrary.GetMovies, VideoLibrary.GetMovieDetails and Files.GetDirectory:
Code:
"resume": { "position": 1849.088134765625, "total": 5024 }
I haven't tested it with smartplaylists though.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Montellese Wrote:It should be in the "resume" property. I just tested it with one of my movies and this is what I get from VideoLibrary.GetMovies, VideoLibrary.GetMovieDetails and Files.GetDirectory:
Code:
"resume": { "position": 1849.088134765625, "total": 5024 }
I haven't tested it with smartplaylists though.

I think that is a bug Sad

Request made by GetDirectory on a playlist :
Code:
{u'rating': 3.7999999523162842,
u'fanart': u'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/d9db9c4e.tbn',
u'filetype': u'file',
[b]u'resume': {u'position': 0, u'total': 0},[/b]
u'label': u'Drive',
u'thumbnail': u'special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/d/d9db9c4e.tbn',
u'file': u'C:\\Vid\xe9os\\Films\\Drive\\Drive.mkv',
u'year': 2011,
u'playcount': 0,
u'runtime': u'100',
u'type': u'movie',
u'id': 192,
u'trailer': u'http://hd.fr.mediaplayer.allocine.fr/nmedia/18/83/93/95/19243476_fa1_vf_sd_001.flv'
}
Request made by GetMovieDetails on the specific movie :
Code:
{u'moviedetails': {[b]u'resume': {u'position': 1271.79809570312[/b]5, u'total': 6024},
u'movieid': 192,
u'label': u'Drive'}}})
Sorry for my english, but, you know, I'm French so ...

Main HTPC : Odroid-C2 running CoreELEC with Titan Bingie
Secondary HTPC : Freebox Mini 4K running Android TV with Titan Bingie
The resume point is returned only if needsCast is set true in GetDetailsForMovie() et. al.

@Montellese: perhaps the additional info isn't being fetched for this field?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yeah it probably isn't fetched for smartplaylists but I'm not sure if I want to fix that. The problem with retrieving the extra info ("resume", "sets", "cast" etc) is that the time it takes to retrieve the information skyrockets. This is ok for GetMovieDetails because you only retrieve one movie and it's information. It is also acceptable for VideoLibrary.GetMovies because I can first check whether we actually need to retrieve the extra info and if not I don't set the needsCast flag in the request to the database. But I don't have this kind of information when retrieving smartplaylists (which is done in XBMC's VFS) so enabling that flag by default will slow down loading every smartplaylist independent of whether this happens through JSON-RPC or the XBMC GUI. So it kind of is a bug but only because it would worsen the smartplaylist experience overall.
Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
Is JSON-RPC inherently a bit slow/heavy (bottleneck) when you have a large library of TV Shows?

I was given this explanation in another thread concerning the "On-deck" -feature, a script that shows which episodes I should watch based on what show I'm normally watching, and which is the next unwatched episode in those TV shows.

The script seems to have some performance issues / delay on the ATV2. I also use a MySQL DB on a NAS for my libraries.
The Real Skimshady
bthusby Wrote:It seems to have some performance issues on the ATV2.

An ATV2 just hasn't got much ponies. If you want power better buy somethnig better
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Obviously the larger your library is the longer it takes to retrieve all the tvshows in it. Furthermore the watchlist script first retrieves all the tvshows and then for every tvshow it retrieves all the episodes. So the more tvshows you have the more it has to go through. And the more episodes there are in every show the longer it takes to process every show. You can't expect it to take the same time to go through all episodes of 10 tvshows compared to all episodes of 50 tvshows.

Furthermore the ATV2 isn't really popular for being very fast or having enough power to do everything XBMC offers. If you don't want to spend more money on your htpc you'll have to live with the fact that it won't be able to do everything as fast as if you spent more money on something faster/better.
Wow, that is impressive response time from the XBMC team Smile

I have a Win 7 PC work horse with XBMC installed, sitting in the next room, but I like the ATV2 due to its simplicity. I don't have to turn on anything and wait for boot-up, and be nagged by updates from Acrobat, Sun and Itunes every other week... Wink

Maybe it is possible to optimize the JSON parsing by not go through the whole library each time? This obviously concerns the implementation of the script and not JSON-RPC as such.

Is JSON-RPC implemented in XBMC using Python?
And if so, is it simplejson which is used in Python, or the allegdely faster python-cjson or ultrajson? I'm unfortunately not an expert.

A lot of people use ATV2, Ipad etc these days for XBMC, and I hope performance and efficiency will be addressed where it can Smile
The Real Skimshady
JSON-RPC does not yet provide any filtering functionality but once that's possible I'm sure scripts like watchlist can be improved to only fetch as much data through JSON-RPC as necessary. JSON-RPC is still very young but it's contantly growing (once the feature freeze is over Wink).

But still things can only be optimised so much and people have to keep and mind that a low-end device like an ATV2, an iPad and most embedded devices (compared to a normal computer) does not provide as much power as other systems do. Every system has a drawback, one has a fast boot-time but not much ponies and the other has a longer boot-time but enough power to handle anything you throw at it.
Montellese Wrote:JSON-RPC does not yet provide any filtering functionality but once that's possible I'm sure scripts like watchlist can be improved to only fetch as much data through JSON-RPC as necessary. JSON-RPC is still very young but it's contantly growing (once the feature freeze is over Wink).

But still things can only be optimised so much and people have to keep and mind that a low-end device like an ATV2, an iPad and most embedded devices (compared to a normal computer) does not provide as much power as other systems do. Every system has a drawback, one has a fast boot-time but not much ponies and the other has a longer boot-time but enough power to handle anything you throw at it.

Thanks for answer.

Yes, I understand that the ATV2 is a light weight box, and I use it with the Quartz skin which is brilliant for low performance purposes.

I'm looking forward to the natural evolution of more optimal code for handling Libraries / DB queries and parsing of filtered JSON-RPC in the future. In my opinion this is core functionality that should be made absolutely as efficient as possible Smile
The Real Skimshady
Will future releases notify the user when changes are made to the playlist, or did I miss something in the docs?

Something like Playlist.OnUpdate perhaps?
Something like this will be available once the whole playlist handling has been refactored inside XBMC. Currently there are too many entry points to cover.
Tolriq Wrote:About this ticket Smile

I've got a new need that comes with it, it was already discussed before i think but can't remember when, and get into this new need Sad

Do you think it's possible for some of the player operations to add the support of PlayerId -1 that will pause / play whatever is currently running, even if music and pictures are running ?

See : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=1...ost1018502 for more details of why it may be needed.

One solution actually since playerid are limited to 1 2 3 is to send a batch of the 3 commands, but perhaps the -1 would be more coder friendly.

Please add a feature request ticket for this. I can't guarantee though that it will ever be added because I think it will make people lazy and nobody will ever care to check Player.GetActivePlayers() before calling Player.PlayPause() so it is very likely to be "abused".
  • 115(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
JSON-RPC (JSON Remote Procedure Call) interface protocol in development for XBMC8