[XBOX] XBMC won't start on my Xbox
I decided to upgrade my version of XBMC from "T3CH XBMC 2009-06-01 9.04.1-FIXED-Babylon" to "T3CH XBMC 2010-01-17 SVN rev26941"

I currently (or did) have XBMC running as a dashboard so i using ftp i started to copy the new files to q:\ overwriting existing files, however during the ftp process for some reason the connection was lost and my xbox froze.

After rebooting the xbox it will not boot past the initial XMBC logo screen.

Where do i go from here?
It's softmodded if that makes a difference.
Lloyd Quenby Wrote:I decided to upgrade my version of XBMC from "T3CH XBMC 2009-06-01 9.04.1-FIXED-Babylon" to "T3CH XBMC 2010-01-17 SVN rev26941"

I currently (or did) have XBMC running as a dashboard so i using ftp i started to copy the new files to q:\ overwriting existing files, however during the ftp process for some reason the connection was lost and my xbox froze.

After rebooting the xbox it will not boot past the initial XBMC logo screen.

Where do i go from here?
It's softmodded if that makes a difference.
Get yourself into a position where you can FTP and start copying the files again.
It may be that already the FTP server is running, so you're good to go.
If not you can either try booting off a Slayers or AID disc (in which case you'll have an FTP server running),or insert your softmod disc again (Splinter Cell or whatever) and kick the softmod gamesave and that'll get you an FTP server running.

Either way, nothing to panic about. Have fun.
I have tried re-connecting to it via FTP, but i guess as it has not finished loading the FTP server is not running yet.

I have tried slayers disc, but it does not boot from it and i am guessing that it is because it is a softmod not mod-chip.

Can i just put the HDD in another PC and copy the files? when i softmodded it i had to play an audio file to unlock the HD first.
Lloyd Quenby Wrote:I have tried re-connecting to it via FTP, but i guess as it has not finished loading the FTP server is not running yet.

I have tried slayers disc, but it does not boot from it and i am guessing that it is because it is a softmod not mod-chip.

Can i just put the HDD in another PC and copy the files? when i softmodded it i had to play an audio file to unlock the HD first.
No. You can't just put the hard disc in a PC unless you want to go to the trouble of using XBOXHDM and either know your EEPROM, or are happy to try hot-swap. Non-trivial either way.

Your best bet is to re-exploit the softmod, and re-install from there.

(I use Splinter Cell and the Linux profile to get the softmod on and UnleashX running. And then use Auto-installer Deluxe CD to, errr, install. So don't need FTP at all until I want to update to a later X8MC.)
OK, so i went through the hot-swap process again, basically just so i could get access to the HDD, i then copied the XMBC files back to the dash directory.

After reconecting it all back up again, after boot i now get a flashing red ring and a message telling me to contact support.

I thought i had it for a few miniutes :-(
Upgrading XBMC while it's running is a bad idea. What happened when you tried it is very common. Not only do you run the risk of crashes, but even if it "works" you may later find out that not all files were actually upgraded.

If XBMC can at least boot to it's logo, you can access the "emergency recovery console" by holding white + Y as it starts. This grants FTP access. Bit late for that now, I guess.

The support screen you're getting now, does it have an error code in the top left corner? If so, what's it say?
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
I wish i had known about the emergency recovery console before DOH.

Anyway, to unlock the drive i disconnected the DVD drive, this gave a different error code than not having dashboard installed, which also unlocked the drive at the same time.

After getting the drive unlocked i simply went through the same hot-swap procedure to install xbmc. PHEW

I dont think i am going to try upgrading for a while, or if i do i might read instructions first.
In the meantime, go backup your EEPROM. It can be used to unlock/relock the drive safely in future, so you'll never need to hotswap that drive again (no matter how badly you mess up the file structure).
XBMC Manual - BlackBolt - SVN Guide - Skin SVN - Wide Icon SVN - ROM Shortcut Generator
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me :P
Bomb Bloke Wrote:In the meantime, go backup your EEPROM. It can be used to unlock/relock the drive safely in future, so you'll never need to hotswap that drive again (no matter how badly you mess up the file structure).
Good advice. ...I also learned the hard way! :-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] XBMC won't start on my Xbox0