Updates killed my XBMC live install
I'm running one of the Acer 1600's with the Atom/Ion combo. I've had XBMC Live running great for a few weeks now. Tonight I went into Programs and started running some scripts to see what all I could add to it, and I logged into it via ssh and did an apt-get upgrade. While running the Apple Trailer script the system locked up. I rebooted and now I get the message "XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering. Install an appropriate graphics driver."

I've checked /etc/X11 and nothing has changed there this month. The nvidia driver appears to be loaded. I have no idea how to check the version or status of that. I'm running 9.11 and I believe I have the latest installed, but I have no idea how to confirm this. I used the latest live install to set this up and installed it to the hard drive using the automated process.

apt-get did update some xorg stuff, xserver-common and xserver-xorg-core

Found this in the xorg log file

(**) Jan 25 00:34:58 NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(EE) Jan 25 00:34:58 NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the GLX module; please check in your X
(EE) Jan 25 00:34:58 NVIDIA(0): log file that the GLX module has been loaded in your X
(EE) Jan 25 00:34:58 NVIDIA(0): server, and that the module is the NVIDIA GLX module. If
(EE) Jan 25 00:34:58 NVIDIA(0): you continue to encounter problems, Please try
(EE) Jan 25 00:34:58 NVIDIA(0): reinstalling the NVIDIA driver.
(II) Jan 25 00:34:58 NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU ION LE (C79) at PCI:3:0:0 (GPU-0)
My bad, should have searched further before posting, re-installing nvidia drivers fixed it. If anybody has any idea how or why this happens I'd love to hear about it?
libc update last week.
After I updated my XBMC to the latest SVN version, I started having the error mentioned above about needing hardwared accelerated OpenGL rendering. I tried a reinstall of the nvidia drivers, but that didn't get me going. I ended up using the nvidia-installer as noted in my blog post to get my system back up and running.
is it a window that presents this error? I had that too after updating. In another thread there was a fix.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=503443&postcount=2

Not entirely sure it is the same, as I couldn't read my error but only some of the words: hardware XBMC etc
I had the same problem. This fixes it:

Code:
cd /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions
sudo mv libglx.so libglx.so.default
sudo ln -s libglx.so.1 libglx.so

From: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=503443&postcount=2
KeithLM Wrote:My bad, should have searched further before posting, re-installing nvidia drivers fixed it. If anybody has any idea how or why this happens I'd love to hear about it?

Yeah!

You did an apt-get upgrade on a live install.

You basically said hey can you bork my system for me?

Quit being lazy and update the package you want instead of the ENTIRE SYSTEM!

else run something other than live.
FishOil Wrote:Yeah!

Thank you FishOil. Well put. I did the same thing, cause I'm lazy. I will follow your suggestions, and only update the stuff I need to update from here on Wink
FishOil Wrote:Yeah!

I run apt-get upgrade on live all the time without borking anything. You just have to make sure that a video update doesn't overwrite your xorg, and have a backup handy just in case.
Why did this old thread get pulled up again? Nothing like getting criticized for something you did well over a year ago.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updates killed my XBMC live install0