Aeon Stark - Slow to load backdrop?
Hi guys,

Ive got a quick query, Ive tried searching but found no definitive answer

Ive recently installed XBMC live onto an asrock 330.
Ive loaded Aeon Stark and set folders for backdrops etc.

The problem seems to be in the home menu when i switch between menus (movies, tv shows etc) theres like a splitsecond freeze where it looks like the computer is loading the backdrop. I assumed it would all be very fluid?

Am I doing something wrong or havent i configured it correctly?
1. Hows the difference compared to Confluence/Transparency!/Alaska..etc

2. I'm not into the Aeon scene like before, but Aeon has always been a heavier skin.

3. Alot of it probably depends on the computer...My main PC is a little outdated and things run slow, my new HTPC no matter what I throw at it everything is lightning quick.
I am doing comparison checks now, I thought my pc might be slow BUT all youtube videos showing the asrock or acer aspire revo as they all run the same intel atom and ION chipset and its very fluid!
plus it being on xbmc live i thought it would be no problem for it
Yea, I was going to write I seen and read that asrock 330 is pretty solid...
I have an ASRock 330 Pro and I'm running Aeon65 and had the same issue with the backdrops on the home screen being slow. The workaround that I found was to scale the backdrops from 1920x1080 down to 1280x720 and more importantly convert them from JPG to BMP format. This has helped significantly, even if the files take up more space. Also, Aeon Stark is (I believe) pretty out of date. I would try one of the more updated mods like Aeon65 or Showmix 2.5 and see if that helps as well.
Client: XBMCuntu Frodo - ASRock ION 330 Pro - Logitech Harmony One
Server: 4U NORCO RPC-4220 20-drive case - UnRAID 5.0 - 38 TB parity-protected storage
I might as well ask the obvious you have got "Share Memory" set to 512MB in your Bios ?

Aeon will always be slower than other skins, Xperience runs great on Asrock Wink
Hi guys,

cheers for thre advice

yes ive got shared memory for gpu to 512mb Smile

I will try the conversion method of the files Smile any program that you know of which will do it batches of conversions?
Try converting them from jpegs to bitmaps (.bmp) first. That'll make a big difference.
pheonixsingh Wrote:Hi guys,

cheers for thre advice

yes ive got shared memory for gpu to 512mb Smile

I will try the conversion method of the files Smile any program that you know of which will do it batches of conversions?

If you have a Windows box around I would use Irfanview. If not you can do it on the ASRock itself by installing ImageMagick, but that it is bit more command-liney.
Server: 4U NORCO RPC-4220 20-drive case - UnRAID 5.0 - 38 TB parity-protected storage
thanks for the help guys

I kept the resolution at 1920x1080 and converted to BMP, thats definatley made a difference, still a tad bit slow for my liking though

I will try and lower the resolution a bit now.

IceNine - did scaling them down to 720p make the backdrops load alot faster (basically as fluid as it can be).
I think it does make a difference, although it is pretty much just to my eye. I don't have any benchmarks to support it. The quality also seems about the same to me, definitely still acceptable.
Just the thread I Was looking for, thanks guy's! Big Grin
ASRock ION 330 • XBMC Live 10 • Harmony One Remote • MCE IR Sensor • 6TB NAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Aeon Stark - Slow to load backdrop?0