• 47(current)
Post your setup pictures
r1lee Wrote:Actually those posters are acoustic panels that I did myself.

So wait, did you screen print the poster images onto cloth with foam behind them? I am very curious as my plan for the eventual theater and bar area in the basement (also eventual - need a new house first) was to carpet the walls, but panels would be a much easier implementation for both setup and cleaning.
Many ways to do it. Here is the cheapest, then my way lol.

Look for posters on moviepostersdb.com. At least min of 150dpi.
Print at SpoonFlower.
Look for 1" stretch bars online, I think they range at $6+.
Mount the pictures yourself on the stretch bars.
then your acoustic fiber board.

Here was what I did.

Bought movie posters from movieposters.com. $16+
took them to local scanner guy who can scan large image $30 a piece
Print at Spoonflower
I took them to local framing guy $55 for small up to $95 for the large.
Then the acoustic 5lb 1" fiber board. 12 * 2x4 = $100

Spoonflower.com is where I went to get the images printed.

Their first material, I think it's called cotton quilt. $18 yard is the best for allowing sound waves to pass through. This was tested to be as good as anything out there, but still offered enough material to give a decent image.

The small ones took 1yard each, whereas the larger ones took 2 yards, those on the side walls.

Maximum is 42" for width, No max length.

r1lee Wrote:...
Look for posters on moviepostersdb.com. At least min of 150dpi. ...

That should be http://www.movieposterdb.com/
bonelifer Wrote:That should be http://www.movieposterdb.com/

Yes correct, but I actually got it from a Canadian site.

http://ca.movieposter.com/
Yeah, you had an extra "s" in the url, which lead to one of those domain parking pages, just wanted to make sure we aren't giving those douche bags any money for the various sites they buy and park to make money off typos.
r1lee that is probably the most amazing set up I have ever seen! You literally own a cinema... crazy!
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
deanmv Wrote:r1lee that is probably the most amazing set up I have ever seen! You literally own a cinema... crazy!

Thanks deanmv. What you guys don't see here is, once the lights are completely out and the room is pitched black. I have a Star Ceiling.

I got it from this guy, who flew in from Utah to do my theater and my kids room. Once I get a chance, i will get a picture of it.

http://www.nightskymurals.com/
r1lee Wrote:Thanks deanmv. What you guys don't see here is, once the lights are completely out and the room is pitched black. I have a Star Ceiling.

I got it from this guy, who flew in from Utah to do my theater and my kids room. Once I get a chance, i will get a picture of it.

http://www.nightskymurals.com/

Ok stop now... Stare:p haha would love to see the picture!
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
Just about finished perfecting my setup so thought I'd finally show it to the world Smile

Before I bore you to death with spec:

I'll start with my server where all my media is stored.

UNRAID Server

Case: Antec 300
Motherboard: ZOTAC NM10 F-E
RAM: 2 x 1GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2
PSU: Corsair 430CX
SATA Card: Lycom PE-102 PCI-E 1x (2 Port)
Hard Drives: 2 x Samsung HD203WI 2TB, 3 x Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB, 1 x Hitachi 5K3000 2TB and 1 x Western Digital WD1600AAJS (as cache, spun up all the time)

I keep this thing in a cupboard in my living room.
  • Currently holding around 700(mainly 1080p) Movies and around 4000 (mainly 720p) TV episodes.
  • Its a low power Intel Atom based machine running unRAID which ispowered on 24/7.
  • The drives are set to spin down after 15 minutes except the cache which is spun up all the time.
  • The cache drive has sickbeard/couchpotato/sabnzbd installed on it. The downloading of movies/tv shows is fully automated by those
  • programs.
  • I can access these programs over the internet so that I can manage them remotely (I can queue downloads, add movies to the CP queue etc)
  • The server also runs a MySQL database which XBMC uses to store a centralised database so that the machines throughout my house have thesame library. This means that I can pause a movie in one room and continue playing it in another. Along with the centralised database I have also centralised the thumbnails folder that XBMC uses on the cache drive.
  • The server also sends a WOL packet and a library update command to my Acer Revo 3700 each morning at 6AM to keep my library up to date.

(I have a few other bits and bobs that I use that I will add in when I think of them)

Network/Internet

I've got a netgear WND3700 which everything is wired into so that I have a gigabit network throughout the house.
50Mb/s Vrigin Media Broadband.

Living Room Setup

TV: Sony Bravia 40v4000 1080p LCD
HTPC: Acer Revo 3700
Consoles: Xbox 360, PS3 & Wii
Cable: Virgin Media V+
AV Receiver: Onkyo TXSR606 (Link)
Sound: 5.1 Provided by:
  • Mordaunt Short 914i floor standers up front (Link)
  • Mordaunt Short 905i center speaker (Link)
  • Mordaunt Short 902i (Link) on Atacama stands for the rear
  • BK Monolith DF+ subwoofer <-- This thing is lethal! (Link)
Remote: Logitech Harmony One

Not sure what to tell you about this...
The Revo is running OpenElec 1.02 (XBMC Dharma) using the Aeon Nox (awesome) skin.
The harmony controls everything and is a definite requirement for the GF to be able to use everything.

Bedroom

TV: Sony Bravia 26" 720p LCD (can't remember model)
HTPC: Acer laptop (recycled, it has a broken screen but outputs 720p fine!)
Remote: Emprex 3000 RF remote (the laptop is hidden away so RF was a must)

Questions/Comments? Smile
nice setup, very few people i run into have Mordaunt Short speakers, but i really like the lines they offer. Yes that Sub is crazy.
r1lee, your setup is nuts man! The posters are such a great idea. Between you and the guy on head-fi that has the barn home theater I've extremely jealous.

@r1lee,

can you please tell me what you used as a material for the sound panels? i mean the sound absorber, and the type of fabric.

i want to create at least one, for behind my front left speaker, since i have a problem of a "case" there.

here is how my setup looks like.

TeDev,
the first fabric on spoonflower, is what i used.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=999...tcount=693

Actually when looking, its the second one now as they released a new Cotton. Quilting Weight Cotton 3.2oz
http://www.spoonflower.com/spoonflower_fabrics

For the Sound Absorbing material, i used a local company Glass Cell insulation, which makes an equivalent OC 705. You can also use OC 703. (OC=Owens Corning). The thicker you go, the better it is at absorbing, but because I needed the room to look a certain way, i only went with 1inch. You can go up to 4.

the problem you will find is trying to find the Hard Fibre board, since they sell them as packages at most of these places. You can try Home Depot or Lowes if you are in the US.

If all else fails, normal pink insulation will work, just not as firm.
Pretty lame setup to be honest, but it works well enough for me (poor college student living in a small apartment). It's an absolute mess because I'm always moving stuff around and tinkering with things. Smile

ShockedZip-ties and Velcro come cheap ya knowOo
LaughLaughLaugh
How to use Git
| AMD Athlon II X3 Triple Core Processor 2.9 GHz |GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H Mobo 2GB DDR2 Ram | MSI N430GT |
| Logitec Harmony Smart Control Remote| 52" Sharp Aquos LED TV | Denon AVR-X1000 |
| Freenas Server with 18TB ASRock Intel Avoton C2750 |
  • 47(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Post your setup pictures7