How do you turn on Library Mode?
Alright.... I read the Wiki 3 times, but I cannot figure out how to engage the library mode. I assume I am in File Mode because when I go to 'video' I see my individual drives and clicking on them takes me into the structure of the drive. I want to be able to see all of my videos together in the same database.

If it helps, I have two 500GB drives where I ripped my personal DVD collection. They are in typical DVD structure.

Example:

Root/Blazing Saddles/Audio_TS + Video_TS/.ifo, .vob, etc.
You need to type the "c" key or the menu button, add the folder as a library source and select scan automatically.

also, get your files out of root and put them in /episodes/ and /movies/
Use mythicalLibrarian to make a library out of your MythTV files. Leave the recording to MythTV and use XBMC as your library.
Installation and Instructions:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=MythicalLibrarian
Technical Support:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=65644
[url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?tid=1081892][/url]
Is that why the scans I have done have not worked? Because they are not in folders but in the root?
Without knowing how you have added the sources, or set the content type can't say for sure.

However, its more than likely if you have mixed content in the same location.
I do have two external drives, but they only contain movies.

When I went into 'MOVIES' I saw three things; my two drives, "Movies 1" and "Movies 2", and "Add Source". When I pressed the INFO button while on a drive, I saw where I could set things up. I had XBMC scan the drive. I watched as it scanned and then compressed the database. I did this for both drives. Afterward, I went back into the main 'MOVIES' page and I again saw the two drives along with "Add Source". (File Mode, yes?)

I navigated left to bring up a settings menu (where you can change from 'list' to 'thumbnails' to 'poster wrap', etc.) Library mode is there, but it is grayed-out. I went back to one of the drives and tried to hit the INFO button again. This time, it did not take me to the settings screen as it had before, so I'd like to believe something happened the first time, but I still cannot choose library mode and the "go-into-one-drive-at-a-time-to-see-if-the-movie-you-want-is-in-there" method is a little tedious.

I've heard and read everywhere what an easy out-of-the-box experience XBMC is, so I am surprised what a difficult time I am having with it. I thought I had a decent amount of technical ability, but now that is suspect. Where can I find a "step-by-step setup for f-ing morons" guide?

Signed,
Frustrated

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Quick start guide on the wiki is always a good starting place...

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Quick_Start_Guide
I read that. Thrice. As a matter of fact, I just looked at it again, and here's what I notice:

When I go to video/movies, I see 'Add Source', but no 'Video Playlists' or 'Video plugins'. I also see the two drives. When I press 'Browse', it does take me to that page, but none of the options seem to let me navigate to my external drives (F: and G: ). That's where I get hung up. And because I can see my drives under the movie/video page, I am led to believe that they, as sources, have already been added.
Could it be that you just have to mount your external drives(?)

For the system to automount them on each startup you must edit your /etc/fstab file and add a line like:

/dev/sda1 /media/myGdisk ntfs-3g defaults,locale=en_EN.utf8 0 0

(if your G-disk is sda1)... "myGdisk" is just a folder you create in i.e. the media folder, so you can call it whatever you like. Hopefully XBMC will then show "myGdisk" as a addable source.
Is it not mounted already since it shows up as a source in file mode? XBMC definitely knows it is there, as it lets me navigate to/through it.
When you added the source did you set the content type (section 3) (sounds like you didnt).

Try it again, do an library update and then post your debug log.
I set the content as movies when I access the drive in the movies screen. I think this is where I am having the hang up. I don't think I added the source becasue 1.) the drives were already showing up and 2.) I could not browse to the drives from the "add source" screen.

That is what I cannot figure out. How can I not browse to something that XBMC showed me is there on the previous screen?
So you did not add the sources yourself from scratch? In that case remove those sources, mount your disks and then add those sources instead.
Two questions:

1.) How do I remove them? They were there, naturally. (XBMC automatically saw them
when I plugged them into PC.)

2.) "Mount" as in plug in? If so, that is where I am, now. XBMC automatically sees the drives and list them under 'movies' but if I go to 'add source' and hit 'browse', I cannot find them. (Where would they be?!)
I'm really not sure what you have done / what your current settings are...

From Video's do:

1. Press c on any sources you have added. This will bring up a context menu.
2. Select Remove Source.
3. Repeat for any other source you have added.

Alternatively, delete your .xbmc folder and it will resort back to your default settings, which may be your best option.

Add Source
1. Click on add source and new window will open.
2. Click Browse
3. Select drive with movies in
4. Select ok
5. Set content
6. Set content to movies
7. Enable run automated scan
8. Enable use folder names for lookups
9. Enable scan recursively
10. Click OK

Should now scan movies, if not post debug log.

Enable library mode.
I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks for your time and effort. I really want to love this thing and leave my MCE2005 in the past!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How do you turn on Library Mode?0