[XBOX] HOW-TO use Handbrake on Mac OS X to encode H.264 videos for the Xbox
Big GrinI am happy to report that I used the low quality method and got a great looking episode of Dragonball at 175 MB.Big Grin Thank you for all your hard work Cranial. Big Grin
That's good to hear. Glad it's working.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
rollins215 Wrote:Cranial, I've done quite a few DVD rips now using your settings and they've been great, thanks! However I'm not sure if you've ever tried doing a black & white movie. For some reason the Xbox isn't able to keep up with those after encoding, lots of dropped frames.

rollins215, was the black & white source you were encoding from a particularly grainy video? I'm suspecting this might be more the problem than the fact it's monochrome.

If it is a grainy source perhaps we can figure a way for me to get a hold of it as a test piece?

Also, you could try it with the lower quality 'TV' preset?

Thanks for sharing your conclusions on Handbrake Cranial.
I'm working on a solution for watching recorded TV. So far I'm using Windows Media Center to record HDTV as DVR-MS and MCEBuddy to transcode it to XVid AVI. I tried your preset to take it down to a MKV file that my original Xbox can handle but it didn't work for me. The video looks great but I got no audio at all. So far I've tried ACC passthrough and the MP3 audio options.
Do you think your preset should work for HD AVI videos? Do you have any ideas on how to remedy the audio?
Thanks again!
Mattsweb Wrote:Thanks for sharing your conclusions on Handbrake Cranial.
I'm working on a solution for watching recorded TV. So far I'm using Windows Media Center to record HDTV as DVR-MS and MCEBuddy to transcode it to XVid AVI. I tried your preset to take it down to a MKV file that my original Xbox can handle but it didn't work for me. The video looks great but I got no audio at all. So far I've tried ACC passthrough and the MP3 audio options.
Do you think your preset should work for HD AVI videos? Do you have any ideas on how to remedy the audio?
Thanks again!

The preset should work.

If you're on a Mac can you link me to your encode log, it's in ~/Library/Application\ Support/HandBrake/EncodeLogs/

Also, can you drop the source file into mediainfo and let me know the file details?

I do remember having a couple of audio issues with the 0.9.4 release of Handbrake that I were fixed in a subsequent svn build I did. Just can't remember the specific details.

Well I'm on a PC but I've copied the encode log here

According to mediainfo, here are the details on the file:

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Public\Videos\Lost_KSTPDT_2010_05_11_19_58_00.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile : OpenDML
File size : 2.34 GiB
Duration : 45mn 36s
Overall bit rate : 7 356 Kbps
Writing application : MEncoder dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.2.1-sjlj
Writing library : MPlayer

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (MPEG)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Duration : 45mn 36s
Bit rate : 7 145 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 59.940 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.129
Stream size : 2.28 GiB (97%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.0.dev47 (UTC 2006-11-01)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Format_Settings_ModeExtension : MS Stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Duration : 45mn 35s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 192 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Video delay : 17ms
Stream size : 62.6 MiB (3%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (1.44 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 504 ms

Thanks for your help!
Well there's no reason there for it not to be producing audio, it's just a simple MP3 stream input.

Although Handbrake is picking it up as 'unknown MP3'.

Are you sure in Handbrake -> Audio -> Track 1: there is a valid stream selected? Sometimes it can auto select a non-existent track.

Also, if you're on windows, do a search on the forums for 720p on the xbox. There is a great guide on converting 720p material to play on the xbox, while maintaining it at 720p.

It's a little convoluted, but I believe once setup it's a fairly simple workflow.

If you can trim out a sub 30 second section from the original source material I can test it here and see how it goes.

Gotcha. I'll give it a try once I have some free time this evening and I'll let you know how it turns out.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] HOW-TO use Handbrake on Mac OS X to encode H.264 videos for the Xbox2