• 10(current)
[REQUEST] Netflix 'Watch Now' plugin, script, or native code (with metadata scraper)?
I think it has DRM, and therefore XBMC will not integrate it.

(makes it kinda hard to be open source)

-Wes
^ i understand that it has drm.

if the xbmc-team doesnt want to include netflix integration because it doesnt go along with the free software mentality then i would understand.

but i was wondering if they ever discussed this possibility (i assume netflix would charge some sort of licensing fee for the ability to decrypt their drm and make them sign an nda about not sharing their proprietary code with others).
schneidz Wrote:if the xbmc-team doesnt want to include netflix integration because it doesnt go along with the free software mentality then i would understand.

That's what I meant, Team-XBMC doesn't do DRM on principal. (normally, anyway)

It could be done as a script, though...

...or you could check out PlayOn media streamer here...

http://www.playon.tv/index.php On sale for $20.

It streams to XBMC using the integrated UPnP client. Downside: you have to have a computer in order to do it.

-Wes
Theoretically, it's possible, since there are quite a few devices that reportedly use a flavor of Linux to stream Netflix to TVs.

Unfortunately, though, Netflix streaming uses Microsoft's Silverlight technology. At one point in time, the open-source Moonlight project was able to get things to work, until Silverlight 2.0 came out with more advanced DRM. Since Netflix switched to requiring 2.0, no one has been able to watch Netflix from any custom Linux setup (ie, a personal computer on which they installed Linux themselves).

At one point in time, Netflix said they were working on it for Linux... I believe that was about 2 years ago and there has been no official mumbling of it since.
Moonlight 2.0 was released on December 17, 2009.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_(runtime)
^ thanks for the education, the latest xbmc works wonderfully without it so it is not a big loss.
waldo22 Wrote:Moonlight 2.0 was released on December 17, 2009.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonlight_(runtime)

Yep, unfortunately, Moonlight 2.0 still doesn't support Silverlight's DRM Stack.
paularms Wrote:Yep, unfortunately, Moonlight 2.0 still doesn't support Silverlight's DRM Stack.

Well that stinks. (DRM, that is)

I thought maybe you just missed it since it was such a recent development...

-Wes
Where is the NetFlix plug-in? I thought there use to be a NetFlix plug-in. Any suggestions where to look?
Hi. Does xbmc have a NetFlix plug-in? If so, where do I find it?
buechler66 Wrote:Where is the NetFlix plug-in? I thought there use to be a NetFlix plug-in. Any suggestions where to look?

Never-NeverLandWink
just like the title says Is there a netflix plugin for xbmc [windows]? I can only seem to find console ports
there's a boxee addin. I have both boxee and xbmc running on my htpc.
I know there is the obvious issue with DRM. But if the player launched the film in an IE window, wouldn't that avoid any issues? But then again, i guess that goes against XBMCs "fully integrated" mantra, which I honestly cant fault them for.

However, being that the API is available, I am really suprised there is not even a script for browsing the queue and launching it via web browser. Media Portal has plugins for this available so why doesn't XBMC?

I apologize if I am beating a dead horse, but I have scoured the forums, and if I dont find an answer it bugs the hell out of me. Confused
because no one write one for it ...

jsut roll up your sleeves and make it Wink
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[REQUEST] Netflix 'Watch Now' plugin, script, or native code (with metadata scraper)?0