Buy the BCM70012 or wait for the BCM70015? What is the difference?
Hello,

Im planning on pimping my AppleTV with the 70012, i noticed that there is a new 70015. What the differnce? Should i wait for the new model? Will there even be support for that card? Im planning to watch only 720p content.

And I am the only one who cant find the 70012 on ebay? There are only a few around for 50€. Anyone knows a place where i cant find them for about 20€?

Thanks!
xploid Wrote:Hello,

Im planning on pimping my AppleTV with the 70012, i noticed that there is a new 70015. What the differnce? Should i wait for the new model? Will there even be support for that card? Im planning to watch only 720p content.

And I am the only one who cant find the 70012 on ebay? There are only a few around for 50€. Anyone knows a place where i cant find them for about 20€?

Thanks!

The BCM70015 does MPEG-4 ASP (XviD/DivX) where the BCM70012 does not. However both XviD and DivX are easly handled by the CPU software decode under the AppleTV. The BCM70015 is 1/2 the length of the BCM70012 and requires less power.

Support for the BCM70015 is rolling in to osx/linux driver/lib, see the commit log for crystalhd-for-osx at googlecode. Of course the BCM70015 will be supported by XBMC. The lib API is identical.

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post507638
davilla Wrote:The BCM70015 does MPEG-4 ASP (XviD/DivX) where the BCM70012 does not. However both XviD and DivX are easly handled by the CPU software decode under the AppleTV. The BCM70015 is 1/2 the length of the BCM70012 and requires less power.

Support for the BCM70015 is rolling in to osx/linux driver/lib, see the commit log for crystalhd-for-osx at googlecode. Of course the BCM70015 will be supported by XBMC. The lib API is identical.

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=5...post507638

So, there will be no differnce at all for use with AppleTV?
Pretty much no, now that iPlayer is gone Laugh
Crap! I did not see this.. I just bought the BCM70012 on 7/21 and a friend brought it over to India (current location). Should I send it back and swap it for the new one since there is a price difference of $10 and it supports DivX/xVid (A lot of my collection is that).

Thoughts?
To be honest I see little point, aTV handles these formats fine (it's H264 that takes up horsepower), and if you are happy with it, keep it.
Exclamation 
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:To be honest I see little point, aTV handles these formats fine (it's H264 that takes up horsepower), and if you are happy with it, keep it.

I havent installed it yet. What do you think?

You're saying the primary offloading for the Chip is H.264... ? Not necessarily DivX / XVid that is higher res.. i.e. 720p / 1080p...
Is most higher res stuff done in h.264?

PS: Sorry about repost... Kinda excited Smile

PS: Which build and what tool etc how do I go about installing for the Crystal HD XBMC on Apple TV
To install just peel back rubber to reveal 4 torx screws and replace the mini-pcie wifi card. Careful not to accidentally unplug the ATA connector.

For high-def content, h264 or vc1 is the standard. DivX and xVid are inferior and these codecs are only used for SD content.
Thanks. I had installed from the ATV USB Creator. Isnt there some different / special build to enable this chip or is that stuff now part of the mainstream updates?

Which XBMC do I need to install?
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:To install just peel back rubber to reveal 4 torx screws and replace the mini-pcie wifi card. Careful not to accidentally unplug the ATA connector.

For high-def content, h264 or vc1 is the standard. DivX and xVid are inferior and these codecs are only used for SD content.

Most of my content right now is SD. DivX & Xvid.
Exclamation 
crashnburn Wrote:Most of my content right now is SD. DivX & Xvid.

Would the chip swap be worth it?
This just in from Logic Supply, good for one week, $10 discount code for the BCM970015: XBMC15

Enjoy.
davilla Wrote:This just in from Logic Supply, good for one week, $10 discount code for the BCM970015: XBMC15

Enjoy.

Thanks for the discount code Davilla! I just pulled the trigger and got one for $49.95 shipped Big Grin
Any news on another discount? I'm almost ready to buy; the extra $10 would make it for me.
bluevolume Wrote:Any news on another discount? I'm almost ready to buy; the extra $10 would make it for me.

Sorry, you snooze, you loose Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Buy the BCM70012 or wait for the BCM70015? What is the difference?0