Make fanarts to work fast in AppleTV, convertion tools and Instructions all OS
http://trac.xbmc.org/changeset/28782

Thanks for the commit Jonathan. I am going to build a new SVN checkout, I assume I have to delete all the DDS files to get them to regenerate, no?
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Debian Bookworm x86_64: Celeron G1610, NFS/MariaDB/ZFS server
* Blog
Yes. Note that currently there's no db hooked up, so if you change a thumb or anything the dds version of it won't be updated. It will take some time to fully transition to the new system.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thanks. Gonna regenerate the stuff tonight, see how it looks Wink.
* MikroTik RB5009UG+S+IN :: ZyXEL GS1900-8HP v1 :: EAP615-Wall v1 :: Netgear GS108T v3 running OpenWrt 23.05
* LibreELEC 11:  HTPC Gigabyte Brix GB-BXA8-5545 with CEC adapter, Sony XR-64A84K :: Desktop AMD Ryzen 7 5800X / Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6700XT  / 27" Dell U2717D QHD
* Blog
Jonathan, is there some way to have Xbmc loop over the JPG files and generate DDS thumbnails from it automatically, instead of having to select the file to have the thumbnail generated?

I'm using one of the scripts floating around now, I wonder if something like that could be integrated.

Edit: It seems like there will be similar functionality, I found this post.
* Blog
Today I made a clean install of the latest (official) nightly 30995 on my Atv, added <useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart> to advancedsettings.xml and added my movies to the database.

If I look under ../userdata/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/ I see a lot of *.dds files next to the *.tbn files; so the conversion seems to go fine. However, when I look in xbmc.log I see a lot of entries like this:

Code:
DEBUG: DoWork - took 1971 ms to load special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/26039b15.tbn

Even though 26039b15.dds exists, it seems to still load the tbn.

Am I overlooking something here? Thanks in advance.

Full xbmc.log
If the .dds file is there it'll load it, regardless of what the log says - the texture controls have no idea what texture is passed back to them. Note that the time to load suggests in that particular example that it's loading the .tbn file - it's far faster to load .dds.

There's not really much point at modifying the logging, as the logging only happens if it takes > 100ms to load the image, which doesn't happen much with .dds images.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall,

thanks for your reply. It indeed seems XBMC is not loading the .dds file and instead loads the .tbn file. To get a bit deeper into this problem I tested the following things:

- First I deleted all the .tbn files in the Fanart folder and only left the .dds files there. When I now go into my movie library, I don't see any fanart. It's not working for any movie. The problem is not related to a particular movie, but seems to hold for all the images. (I guess the same problem holds for the thumbs, as I don't notice a real increase in browsing speed as some people in this thread reported).
- Secondly I renamed the .dds files to .tbn files. Again I did not see any fanart but now I also noticed the following error in xbmc.log:
Code:
17:49:49 T:53110784 M:  3293184    INFO:   msg: PICTURE::LoadImage: Unable to open image: special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/0720fe36.tbn Error: (34)
17:49:49 T:53110784 M:  3293184   ERROR: Texture manager unable to load file: special://masterprofile/Thumbnails/Video/Fanart/0720fe36.tbn

Here is the full xbmc.log
I'm now at svn 31012, AppleTV OS 3.0.2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Make fanarts to work fast in AppleTV, convertion tools and Instructions all OS0