I cannot believe Eek

I do NOT see any difference Nod

My network is all gigabit....
Thumbs Up 
rtrimarchi Wrote:I cannot believe Eek
I do NOT see any difference Nod
My network is all gigabit....
That's great news!
Then the problem should be somewhere in my particular setup...
Thanks for testing.
OK ...

Now that thumbnails, fanarts and pictures are in a common place......

Can I implement ALSO the mysql solution you proposed before at the same time Huh

Because right now,
with ONLY the thumbnails folder moved to the COMMON PLACE (taken from PC1), if I set up PC2 to get his thumbnails from the common place too, I'm almost positive that PC2 will not recognize those thumbnails because his (PC2) mysql DB is not the same as the one on PC1, which is where the common thumbnails came from......

Tell me if I haven't been clear (I'm Italian Wink)
rtrimarchi Wrote:OK ...
Now that thumbnails, fanarts and pictures are in a common place......
Can I implement ALSO the mysql solution you proposed before at the same time Huh
Because right now,
with ONLY the thumbnails folder moved to the COMMON PLACE (taken from PC1), if I set up PC2 to get his thumbnails from the common place too, I'm almost positive that PC2 will not recognize those thumbnails because his (PC2) mysql DB is not the same as the one on PC1, which is where the common thumbnails came from......
Tell me if I haven't been clear (I'm Italian Wink)
Don't worry, it's very clear... Smile
Yes, you can implement both solutions simultaneously.
Just remember this: Before changing your db from local to central (SQLite to MySQL) you should export the library (using XBMC export feature, choose one file export option) and then import it after making the jump to MySQL (using XBMC import feature). You only need to do that with one of the XBMC "clients", because you will have both a shared db and a shared image cache, so any XBMC instance will update info and images for all XBMC clients.
Good luck!
charrua Wrote:.... And then import it after making the jump to mysql (using xbmc import feature). You only need to do that with one of the xbmc "clients", because you will have both a shared db and a shared image cache, so any xbmc instance will update info and images for all xbmc clients.
Good luck!

Huh

So....

1 - Export the library using XBMC export feature, with the one file export option

2 - Modify advancedsettings.xml located in the userdata folder of XBMC adding this lines:

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>localhost</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>where:

PS: I don't have at the moment any advancedsettings.xml in that folder: What do I do ?

3 - Re-IMPORT the same file into mysql Huh

How Huh

Another question: Should I restart XBMC between step 2 and 3 Huh

As you see my ignorance leads to a little confusion Rolleyes

can you be a little more specific ...please Rolleyes
@charrua, maybe its also skin based ?
I run the default skin.

btw. my network speed is around 100MB/s.

@rtrimarchi - thx for testing, and if you have an big db mysql is also much faster than this sqlite one.

EDIT:

<host>localhost</host> isnt correct when you dont run an xbmc on the server itself.

replace localhost with the IP from your server.

Also make sure that you have an mysql user with the correct username and password.
rtrimarchi Wrote:So....
1 - Export the library using XBMC export feature, with the one file export option
2 - Modify advancedsettings.xml located in the userdata folder of XBMC adding this lines:

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>localhost</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
<name>xbmc_video</name>
</videodatabase>where:

PS: I don't have at the moment any advancedsettings.xml in that folder: What do I do ?
Create one. Search wiki.xbmc.org for details about the structure.
Remember to add the same for the musicdatabase, re-read this same thread for details.
rtrimarchi Wrote:3 - Re-IMPORT the same file into mysql
How
XBMC>Settings>Video>Library>Import video library
Again: search wiki.xbmc.org for details
rtrimarchi Wrote:Another question: Should I restart XBMC between step 2 and 3
Yes, actually close XBMC before creating advancedsetting.xml
rtrimarchi Wrote:As you see my ignorance leads to a little confusion
can you be a little more specific ...please
Don't worry, sometimes ignorance is bliss...Smile
(but knowledge is power)
MrDVD Wrote:@charrua, maybe its also skin based ?
I run the default skin.
Yes, that could be a factor, depending on how many poster and fanart images the view mode of the skin tries to load at once.

MrDVD Wrote:btw. my network speed is around 100MB/s.
That's really fast, considering that the max theoretical speed of a gigabit network is 125MB/s, real life situations are normally much less than that.
Mine has peaks of about 95 to 105MB/s but the normal average speed is around 60 to 65MB/s. Do you have a raid array of hard drives?
No, i dont have an raid, i just join all hdds via mhddfs to one big for the clients.
MrDVD Wrote:No, i dont have an raid, i just join all hdds via mhddfs to one big for the clients.
Then you must have really fast disks to be able to maintain a 100MB/s throughput.
By the way.........

On my NAS I have a hardware RAID 5 Board

I'm sure it helps too Nod

I will keep you informed on my actual other tests, since I wanna try to move the whole user folder using the profile.xml option that bradvido88 posted before...

...and see what happen Confused

Thank you all guys Wink
Thumbs Up 
rtrimarchi Wrote:Thank you all guys Wink
Thank you, (thanks also to bradvido88 and MrDVD) the thread that you've started here became a good point of reference and ideas for people like us trying to find a good solution for a networked media browser/player.
I have a centralized database for my xbmc. My server houses the data and runs xbmc itself to update the database. My two remote servers have it symlinked with mklink to the folders in userdata (datbase, playlists, thumbnails, and visualisations).
I have full gigabit network and my server is 10 drive RAID5. I get ~100MBs transfer speeds to/from my array. My remote XBMC instances take 10 seconds or more the first time I access the library to TV Shows. Once, I'm in, it's relatively fast after that. I've gotten used to this behavior. If there was/is a way to fix it, I'd be very interested.
I just chalked it up to the 10K plus TV shows. Laugh
I'm finally trying the symlinks for shared thumbnail folders... however one of my xbmc machines is windows XP...

Anyone know if it's possible to create a symlink/juntion to a network share in windows XP?
XBMC.MyLibrary (add anything to the library)
ForTheLibrary (Argus TV & XBMC Library PVR Integration)
SageTV & XBMC PVR Integration
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2 XBMC PCs and 1 Database on the shared NAS7