Few questions about my skin
yuo don't have to use the texture.xpr, you can leave the files uncompressed.
download the source code of xbmc from cvs on sourceforge.net and you'll have the projectmayhem skin uncopressed, so starting from it you can replace all the images as you like.
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xb...%20mayhem/
XBMC Italian translator, Movieplayer.it scrapers developer and the old "The Orbs" skin creator.
just an update: i've redone some parts of the button scroller so that you can use separate button textures if you want. just define the <font> as something that doesn't exist, and it won't do the labels. note that the new button scroller will not be able to use the smoothscrolling feature in this case.

obviously it'll still mean that your skin doesn't have any internationalization though.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

i'll just use fonts. i'd like to update my skin as xbmc progresses so it's better to just do it right and if an option comes along later to give me back my green mys then i'll do it then. i'm just gonna leave the home screen alone for a while until the button options get sorted out. plenty of else to do anyways Confused  started getting the png's for the  osd sorted out. didn't come out all that bad. of course you'll probably all tell me it won't work for some reason. :d

i kept the 4 buttons on the bottom in the same style with pm skin so people can tell what they do.
that won't work. :joker:

(just kidding)

looks great Smile i really like the look you are developing here.

feel free to ask about anything else you have trouble with, or suggest things that can be done to make your experience as a skinner better.

note that i wouldn't bother working too much on the settings screens as yet, as they will be getting the makeover next. ofcourse, you can prepare graphics etc. - just don't worry too much about layout.

everything else is fair game Smile

cheers,
jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

finally another skin thats coming with a new osd - too many skinners just change one of mines just a bit - way to go Wink

choke... i agree! i'm happy to see something that is actually new
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
well i know why not many people make a whole new osd... what a pain, especially with the pc downstairs and the big screen upstairs. got it almost all done except for the fonts and some minor positioning. i originally moved everything around and did up a different layout for the sliders but then my wife (my bug tester and totally honest at that) gave me a wtf. so i went back to the pm layout which is much nicer than the one i did. i guess if it ain't broke no sense in me trying to fix it Blush . remote control panel came out nicer than i thought though.

cool...

some "fatal flaws" i've noticed with other skins that i'd ask you to look for (since i have not seen all of your skin yet)...

1) most skinners do not maximize the screen "real estate" on the screens that list items (like movies, games, files ,etc).
so if you have many items you do a lot more screen scrolling.
try moving the notification areas to the corners and top/bottom as much as possible.

2) ensure that screen items do not "cover" other items... a good example is that many skins have the "mini-monitor" (where the movie plays or music covers display) in the lower left corner... but they fail to notice that they have menu items or buttons that also reside there... so they cover the objects up with the mini-monitor.

i hope i'm not being a pest... i have not built a skin for xbmc but i have built many other web guis as well as home automation and home theater guis so i think i'm pretty good with usability issues and layouts.

i cannot wait to see your skin!!! :thumbsup:
(affini @ nov. 14 2004,14:37 Wrote:1) most skinners do not maximize the screen "real estate" on the screens that list items (like movies, games, files ,etc).
so if you have many items you do a lot more screen scrolling.
try moving the notification areas to the corners and top/bottom as much as possible.

most of the skins already place items outside of what would be traditionally considered the "overscan safe zone." there are no more "corners and top/bottom" left to use.
there may appear to be extra space available on your display, but on another display there may be ui items that are completely cutoff by overscan.

Quote:2) ensure that screen items do not "cover" other items... a good example is that many skins have the "mini-monitor" (where the movie plays or music covers display) in the lower left corner... but they fail to notice that they have menu items or buttons that also reside there... so they cover the objects up with the mini-monitor.
it's not that the skinners don't notice, there is just nowhere else to put the stuff. and if you remove items people complain about them being missing.

Quote: i have not built a skin for xbmc but i have built many other web guis as well as home automation and home theater guis so i think i'm pretty good with usability issues and layouts.

perhaps you could offer some suggestions on how to solve these ui issues instead of bashing the skinners that spend many hours of their time creating and maintaining their skins?

where should the video preview window go?
where should the album art go?
if enough space on the screen is reserved for the album art and video preview window wouldn't there be less room available for list items and other buttons? :p
sorry that i can't provide too much constructive criticism, but i will say that your skin looks damn fine

and as chokey said, it's nice to see and osd that is more then just a hack of his :joker:

looking forward to the release
pin87a,
i'm not "slamming" skin builders... just noting some observations i've seen consistant with *most* (not all) skins.

a nice skin called simplygreen moved the mini-window to the upper right corner of the screen. this avoids covering the menu items and buttons. each skin is a bit different so no one placement is going to work for all. i just suggest that they watch the outcomes of the layouts.
are you still working on this skin? i really like the job you did so far and i'd like to see it become a reality.
please give us some update, don't let this skin die as most of the xbmc skins.
XBMC Italian translator, Movieplayer.it scrapers developer and the old "The Orbs" skin creator.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Few questions about my skin0