[LINUX] ALSA audio, HDMI and analog, on Acer Revo 3610
ah, seriously now.

When I put $ into my posted response, this was to tell you to type this at the command line. Not to put "$" before the command you typed at the command line. The "$" is just a commonly used shorthand for the command prompt ...

Linux is complaining to you that you typed in "$ speaker-test etc etc" and it does not recognise the character "$" as either a built-in shell command or an executable script or executable on your path (because it is none of these things).

I am more than happy to try to help you out, but if this is an indication of your level of familiarity with Linux in general, you are probably going to have a steep and unpleasant learning curve in getting XBMC setup on Ubuntu. Not that it will be impossible, or that you won't learn from the experience. But it will not necessarily be pleasant ...

Anyhow: back to your immediate problem.

See what happens if you enter the command "speaker-test -D xbmc -c2" at your command prompt. No quotes.
thank verry much liamf a have got sound now and work great Oo
Good news!
I have my XBMC running on a revo1600 currently... I am stuck with an old receiver which only has optical inputs. I purchased a "turtle beach" usb Optical adapter which works well for multichannel audio, BUT I also would like to have the audio output on the HDMI port as well. (I have a weird setup in which my TV passes audio from the HDMI to some wireless speakers around the house). When playing music for the whole house, I have been manually switching the audio output in XBMC from USB to HDMI.... and then switching it back to the USB before watching anything with multichannel (MKVs, DVDs, etc -- for surround sound).

This is a little annoying, and when I saw this post I got excited...

Has anyone configured their revo1600 to pass audio to BOTH HDMI and a USB device (turtle beach or otherwise)??

I am a linux noob and my experience with the asound.conf file is basically only this post :-) Could anyone provide any pointers or references which would instruct me how to configure my asound.conf file to achieve my desired output? I don't know enough about the conf file to start messing around with it...

When I pulled up the asound.conf I had the same default one as posted early in this post:

Quote:pcm.!hdmi-remap {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "remap-surround71"
}
}

pcm.!remap-surround71 {
type route
slave.pcm "hw:0,3"
ttable {
0.0= 1
1.1= 1
2.4= 1
3.5= 1
4.2= 1
5.3= 1
6.6= 1
7.7= 1
}
}

I assume I have to edit this to set a custom ALSA device (XBMC or something) to use both HDMI and USB.

Thanks
one question, is possible set in asound.conf that hdmi output is stereo and analog output is 5.1 ?

Thanks

Alda
If I understand the question correctly: no.

The Revo hardware analog output is a standard headphone jack.
Therefore it is stereo only, by definition.
Thanks LiamF. Setting up that .asound.rc file with your content, and selecting the output device as custom "alsa:xbmc" (lower case!) in the XBMC config, and rebooting, allows me to get sound from headphones and HDMI simultaneously.

HOWEVER:

The sound from HDMI is only stereo. My amp can mix it up to 5.1 but it's not the same.
To get true multi-channel audio out of HDMI it seems one has to select the audio output device to be "hdmi" ... but then headphone don't work.

This is fine for my purpose (I just want an analogue feed into my amp to power its Zone Two ability, which only honours analogue signals, for a party). But I just thought I would bring this to people's attention.

Thanks for your post, Liam.
ah. yes.

well that would be an issue with that config alright.

I'm afraid I don't have a 5.1 setup to play with to see if there is a way to have both ...
liamf Wrote:ah. yes.

well that would be an issue with that config alright.

I'm afraid I don't have a 5.1 setup to play with to see if there is a way to have both ...

No worries. One thing I've learned, having used Ubuntu & XBMC for a couple of months now, is that if I don't understand something then I ain't gonna fiddle with it. And based on how fiddly Linux is, I don't touch much!
so I've followed this guide and I'm having a couple of problems. I think one of them is an issue with either my linux install or my receiver (concerning AC3 passthough over HDMI). But, I'm also having an issue playing MP3 files. They don't play to either the HDMI nor the analog output.

I'm use pre10.5 r32246 (from xbmcfreak) installed from a livecd.
I've used the asound.conf exactly as it is in this post.
I've set both my DEVICE & PASSTHROUGH as alsa:xbmc in the audio set up of XBMC.

1) all navigation sounds play through the analog connection only.
2) When I try to play a video file with AC3 audio I get no error messages and no sound through the HDMI. But, I do get analog sound.
3) when I play a video file with AAC audio I get no error messages and no sound through the HDMI. But, I do get analog sound.
4) when I play an MP3 file I get a message saying the XBMC couldn't initilize the audio device and I get no sound through the HDMI nor the analog channels.

Any thoughts?
rcrh Wrote:so I've followed this guide and I'm having a couple of problems. I think one of them is an issue with either my linux install or my receiver (concerning AC3 passthough over HDMI). But, I'm also having an issue playing MP3 files. They don't play to either the HDMI nor the analog output.

I'm use pre10.5 r32246 (from xbmcfreak) installed from a livecd.
I've used the asound.conf exactly as it is in this post.
I've set both my DEVICE & PASSTHROUGH as alsa:xbmc in the audio set up of XBMC.

1) all navigation sounds play through the analog connection only.
2) When I try to play a video file with AC3 audio I get no error messages and no sound through the HDMI. But, I do get analog sound.
3) when I play a video file with AAC audio I get no error messages and no sound through the HDMI. But, I do get analog sound.
4) when I play an MP3 file I get a message saying the XBMC couldn't initilize the audio device and I get no sound through the HDMI nor the analog channels.

Any thoughts?

Yes try with the official Camelot live build... I had the same errors with the xbmcfreak build.
dxlr8 Wrote:Yes try with the official Camelot live build... I had the same errors with the xbmcfreak build.

I was trying to jump to the bleeding edge and get a Dharma release. I think you're right though.

thx.
I have hardware which support 5.1 analog and stereo HDMI. How can I configure asound to get working both together ( 5.1 + stereo ) ?

THX

Alda
Smile 
alda Wrote:I have hardware which support 5.1 analog and stereo HDMI. How can I configure asound to get working both together ( 5.1 + stereo ) ?

THX

Alda

I think you mean 5.1 through HDMI & stereo analog because I don't think you can pass 5.1 through analog. Give this post a read. It walks you through all of the steps.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70754
no I need 5.1 analog output.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] ALSA audio, HDMI and analog, on Acer Revo 36100