Wifi support for Acer Revo 3610
Question 
I purchased an Acer revo 3610 recently and install XBMCLive onto the hard drive. All works great except for one major thing... The wireless does not work at all and as far as I can tell there does not seem to be a driver installed for the wifi card. The chip set for the wifi card is an RaLink RT3090. I found a drive for the chipset at the RaLink website but I'm not able to compile it on the acer revo because the XBMC Live does not contain the source code for the kernel.

My question is how do I obtain either a driver for the RaLink RT3090 network card or install the kernel source so that I can compile a drive myself?

Any and all help greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
This link should help you, its a PPA so you can get the drivers directly. I've been using them successfully for a while now!!

https://launchpad.net/~markus-tisoft/+archive/rt3090

I am also running xbmc on an Acer Revo 3610, I installed on top up Ubuntu Minimal so I could set-up things to my liking.

I have installed LXDE as a desktop with wicd and a few config progs that I can fall back on in times of need!!
My R3610 worked fine with wireless without needing specific drivers, I just had to set it up fully.

I used the guide here for configuring it

http://morningbeat.blogspot.com/2009/08/...-high.html

Hopefully that has all you need
Thanks Capt.Insano and dam321 for your help.

I'm new to this whole ubuntu and xbmc and I was wonder how to add the ppa repository to xbmc live. The command to add a repository seems to be missing and I can't figure out how to get the RT3090 driver from the PPA repository.....Would you happen to know how I should go about thisHuh?

Thanks again
Im having a very similar problem and have spent the last little while reading my butt off trying to figure this out without much success. I've tried to use wconfig but its telling me I have no wireless extensions so from my understanding the wireless isn't installed to begin with.

I suppose the bigger question is if setting up wireless is even worth it. I cant run a cable but could I put an router/access point of some kind next to it and run a cable that way?

Tried the guide above but assuming the wireless card isnt working Im assuming it wouldnt work to begin with. Working fine with cat5 connected to it directly
Smile 
Is still so complicated for ver 10.04 which is the most up to date for XBMC ?

Please tell to newbe how to set up it in a simple way Smile

Thanks in advance !
I would strongly urge against using wireless for an HTPC. Wireless is much slower than ethernet (max 54MBit versus 100 MBit for cat5) plus it's WAY more unreliable. Can you see multiple wireless networks from your laptop in the area where your HTPC is? Then they're causing interference. Do you have a wireless home phone? Ditto. Do you use your cell phone within range of your wireless access point? Ditto. Do you have any halogen lights in your house? Ditto (!!!!!).

If you absolutely have to use wireless then I guess you can but there's a ton of good reasons not to. Smile

Adding repos is pretty easy:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Reposi...ommandLine

Just make sure that the distro names match.
You are right .... but temporary for whether update and subtitles should be enough Smile

I need description for wifi enabling and configuration not guide for linux.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Wifi support for Acer Revo 36101