XBMC.org and it's company
Bulkzooi Wrote:Hopefully rwparris2 is a better coder then he is in spreading public information; I don't understand why someone would spread this kind of information.

I'm not.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search and search the forum before posting.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please read how to submit a proper bug report.

If you're interested in writing addons for xbmc, read docs and how-to for plugins and scripts ||| http://code.google.com/p/xbmc-addons/
davilla Wrote:What's the concern about the legal status of XBMC Foundation?

My post above gives a little background on my question. The legal status is just one of many questions I have about XBMC Foundation. Maybe not the best, but lacking any information just a random start, I guess. Off course, I can use Google and find out XBMC Foundation is a Sunnyvale, California based organization with no registered accounts yet.

Since I already knew Google wouldn't tell me much I opened a topic which could give some insights in: Who is XBMC foundation, where is it based, what's its mission and goals, etc. etc. Just some basic stuff.

Like team XBMC, I am very strong believer in open source software. Not just the software but also open companies. Heck, when I think about it: I like "open" and "free(dom)" in general. Particular, in the case of non-profit companies who are making deals like the joke I told, I think questions like this are easily to justify.

In short: I would like to know who XBMC Foundation is and stuff like that.
davilla Wrote:I suggest asking specific questions along with your concerns. That will get a much better response than just "who the company behind XBMC".

Sure that was an option. A front page with some company information is also an option.
rwparris2 Wrote:I'm not.

Cheer up, you have got a great sense of humor!
davilla Wrote:I suggest asking specific questions along with your concerns. That will get a much better response than just "who the company behind XBMC".

I normally start at the beginning and bring in some deepening along. In the meanwhile, I've summed quiet some specific questions.
"Particular, in the case of non-profit companies who are making deals like the joke I told, I think questions like this are easily to justify."

Non-profit companies make lot's of deals. What particular "deal" are you referring?
davilla Wrote:"Particular, in the case of non-profit companies who are making deals like the joke I told, I think questions like this are easily to justify."

Non-profit companies make lot's of deals. What particular "deal" are you referring?

the Boxee deal
Bulkzooi Wrote:I normally start at the beginning and bring in some deepening along. In the meanwhile, I've summed quiet some specific questions.

Sounds like going to the dentist. I'd prefer you cut the slow, meandering approach and cut to the chase and ask the questions you are working up to.
Bulkzooi Wrote:the Boxee deal

There is no "deal", Boxee forked xbmc source code and are marching to their own tune. They contribute back source code into XBMC and some funding for hosting and devcon. Oh and they split the $50k award they won a year ago. You can think of the funding as a donation with no strings attached.
davilla Wrote:Sounds like going to the dentist. I'd prefer you cut the slow, meandering approach and cut to the chase and ask the questions you are working up to.

Like said: Just some basic questions about XBMC Foundation which normally would be addressed on the frontpage like:
1> What is the name of the organization?
2> Who are it's members?
3> What is it's mission and values?
4> Where can I find it's statutes?

Deepening will come along but every journey starts with one step at the time.
Bulkzooi Wrote:Like said: Just some basic questions about XBMC Foundation which normally would be addressed on the frontpage like:
2> Who are it's members?

Haha, Good luck on that journey, this thread has gotten boring and I've got better things to do go on a walk about with you. PM jmarshal, he's the President of XBMC Foundation.
davilla Wrote:Haha, Good luck on that journey, this thread has gotten boring and I've got better things to do go on a walk about with you. PM jmarshal, he's the President of XBMC Foundation.

Your're asking 2 times for specific questions, you know the topic title and then this is your answer, haha. You're really funny.
Bulkzooi Wrote:Like said: Just some basic questions about XBMC Foundation which normally would be addressed on the frontpage like:
2> Who are it's members?

1) he already told you XBMC Foundation
2) members of http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Tea...and_Others make up the official foundation members
3) Lol we do this in free time our mission is to have fun as we work on the project else its just not worth working on
4) umm no idea
Your also missing the point here their is no Company XBMC is a bunch of normal people from around the world working together on a opensource project in our free time. We are not like Ubuntu and Firefox that have all the full corporate tree of people. No one gets paid for working with us its all free time stuff.

As for boxee all negotiations with them are informal stuff with individuals and all money they give us is donations to help maintain our websites and other things we need to exist on the internet. I guess they feel since they use our codebase to make money its nice for them to give back some to us (and it is)
Jezz_X Wrote:1) he already told you XBMC Foundation
2) members of http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Tea...and_Others make up the official foundation members
3) Lol we do this in free time our mission is to have fun as we work on the project else its just not worth working on
4) umm no idea

I think 4> is very important. Shouldn't this be public?
2> How can I become a member?

Jezz_X Wrote:Your also missing the point here their is no Company XBMC is a bunch of normal people from around the world working together on a opensource project in our free time. We are not like Ubuntu and Firefox that have all the full corporate tree of people. No one gets paid for working with us its all free time stuff.

Indeed, the topic title should be: XBMC.org and it's legal entity. But the information you're sharing now, is not accessible for me so I had no idea.

Jezz_X Wrote:As for boxee all negotiations with them are informal stuff with individuals and all money they give us is donations to help maintain our websites and other things we need to exist on the internet. I guess they feel since they use our codebase to make money its nice for them to give back some to us (and it is)
Hopefully, some will be spent on some good backups ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC.org and it's company0