[WINDOWS] Bootcamped mac mini IR issues
I have Win7 x64 installed on a bootcamped Mac Mini and I'm trying to get the IR receiver to work with both my Harmony 520 remote and the apple remote I have.

I've tried the Showkeys app (that is referenced on the wiki) as well as EventGhost and neither are showing any recognizable input when I press buttons.

I am pretty sure the issue is with the IR receiver itself. Some googling implies that people have had success changing the driver away from the apple IR receiver driver to a generic USB HID driver, but all of the examples I've found were for Windows XP. As such, I'm not sure what driver I should try and force it to be - setting it to just a USB input device (the only other one that shows as compatible) doesn't seem to work either.

Or, if I'm on the wrong path - does anybody have any ideas how I can get my Apple remote recognizing under Windows on a Mac mini?

Thanks
echofx Wrote:I have Win7 x64 installed on a bootcamped Mac Mini and I'm trying to get the IR receiver to work with both my Harmony 520 remote and the apple remote I have.

I've tried the Showkeys app (that is referenced on the wiki) as well as EventGhost and neither are showing any recognizable input when I press buttons.

I am pretty sure the issue is with the IR receiver itself. Some googling implies that people have had success changing the driver away from the apple IR receiver driver to a generic USB HID driver, but all of the examples I've found were for Windows XP. As such, I'm not sure what driver I should try and force it to be - setting it to just a USB input device (the only other one that shows as compatible) doesn't seem to work either.

Or, if I'm on the wrong path - does anybody have any ideas how I can get my Apple remote recognizing under Windows on a Mac mini?

Thanks

There is a windows driver for the Apple remote included in the Bootcamp driver install CD image, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it may only be 32-bit.
- Blackstar
The Apple Remote does actually work with the drivers included with bootcamp - it just appears I can't intercept what it is sending. The 'menu' button brings up iTunes and the volume control buttons adjust the windows volume but something (possibly the driver?) is intercepting the signals received and not passing them at any way that I can use them.

The harmony remote doesn't seem to work at all. I have it configured as a MCE in the Harmony software but eventghost never sees anything when I try pressing buttons.
echofx Wrote:The Apple Remote does actually work with the drivers included with bootcamp - it just appears I can't intercept what it is sending. The 'menu' button brings up iTunes and the volume control buttons adjust the windows volume but something (possibly the driver?) is intercepting the signals received and not passing them at any way that I can use them.

The harmony remote doesn't seem to work at all. I have it configured as a MCE in the Harmony software but eventghost never sees anything when I try pressing buttons.

Is the XBMC app set to launch with the Apple remote? The mac version has several options (Sofa Control, Remote Buddy, Candleair, etc) I'm sure there is a PC version of similar software that will limit the remote's responses.

Do you use iTunes? If not, a simple solution would be to zip the application to a copy, then erase the original so there is nothing for it to launch. Wink

Also iTunes may have an option, but I know XBMC has several pref options regarding the remote control.
- Blackstar
BlackstarBSP Wrote:Is the XBMC app set to launch with the Apple remote? The mac version has several options (Sofa Control, Remote Buddy, Candleair, etc) I'm sure there is a PC version of similar software that will limit the remote's responses.

Do you use iTunes? If not, a simple solution would be to zip the application to a copy, then erase the original so there is nothing for it to launch. Wink

Also iTunes may have an option, but I know XBMC has several pref options regarding the remote control.

Yeah I've poked around trying to find an approrpiate option. There's nothing in iTunes regarding disabling the IR remotes - just the wifi ipod/iphone remote app. The 'bootcamp utility' only seems to have an option to completely disable the IR remote.

I'd actually like the menu button on the remote to start XBMC but I can't even get to that point if I can't intercept the IR calls it is making in any way. I must be missing something somewhere.
echofx Wrote:Yeah I've poked around trying to find an approrpiate option. There's nothing in iTunes regarding disabling the IR remotes - just the wifi ipod/iphone remote app. The 'bootcamp utility' only seems to have an option to completely disable the IR remote.

I'd actually like the menu button on the remote to start XBMC but I can't even get to that point if I can't intercept the IR calls it is making in any way. I must be missing something somewhere.

did you solved the problem? i also have the same issue after bootcamping my mca mini to win 7 prof 64bit

xbmc and the harmony @ macosx 10.6 works flawless but i also have no luck getting the harmony work on win7
-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
---------------------------------------
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
XBMC @ Lenovo Q150 and a Panasonic Plasma for bedrooming ;)
Nope - never did manage to get it to work. From my reading, it appears to be driver related in some way. Basically, my guess is that the IR receiver driver only seems to want to talk to the apple remote. I'd read some suggestions on using alternate drivers for it (different ones that come with Windows) but never had any success so I gave up.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Bootcamped mac mini IR issues0