• 9(current)
[LINUX] HOW-TO launch applications from XBMC Live (e.g. Firefox)
sdsnyr94 Wrote:Just to throw in my 2 cents......

I am not using your script, or running firefox. I am using my own script to run an app called Squeezeplay so I can sync my music with my Squeezebox.

On Camelot on up to Dharma Beta 3 my script worked fine, and when exiting Squeezeplay it would go right back into XBMC. After updating to Beta 4, I get the black screen that z0mbi3 is talking about. The only way to recover is to stop/start xbmc-live or reboot the unit.

z0mbi3 - have you tried going back to an earlier Beta to see if it resolves your black screen issues?

edit: both launcher and executor plugins behave the same way

same problem for me. After exiting any application launched within a windowmanager (i've tried fluxbox and openbox) I'm getting a black screen.
But if I only launch the application without a windowmanager and then kill it, everything's fine. The only problem of doing it that way is that I can't have a fullscreen firefox, and moreover, I don't have any mouse pointer that way....
PunkyMatt Wrote:But if I only launch the application without a windowmanager and then kill it, everything's fine. The only problem of doing it that way is that I can't have a fullscreen firefox, and moreover, I don't have any mouse pointer that way....

Actually you can launch firefox in fullscreen mode if you use this extension. It will add a new command line parameter (-fullscreen) and you can also configure which menus to autohide and which to display permanently.

The mouse problem however seems to be a XBMC problem. I do not use a window manager either and in Dharma Beta2 I was able to use my mouse with firefox. Since Dharma Beta4 my mouse gets disabled when launching firefox. After killing firefox, the mouse works again. If I start firefox on its own without XBMC running and without a window manager the mouse works.
Temar Wrote:The mouse problem however seems to be a XBMC problem. I do not use a window manager either and in Dharma Beta2 I was able to use my mouse with firefox. Since Dharma Beta4 my mouse gets disabled when launching firefox. After killing firefox, the mouse works again. If I start firefox on its own without XBMC running and without a window manager the mouse works.

Well, seems we have to wait for a next beta release to get our problems fixed Sad
PunkyMatt Wrote:Well, seems we have to wait for a next beta release to get our problems fixed Sad

I'm not sure the developers are aware of the problem. Did someone file a bug report?

As a workaround I'm using irexec to terminate XBMC and start firefox. When firefox terminates XBMC is started again. Not a nice solution though.
Temar Wrote:I'm not sure the developers are aware of the problem. Did someone file a bug report?

I, for sure, didn't as I just learned that I wasn't the only one with this problem.
No, it works fine for me with Beta4.
Use the executor instead of launcher and follow the instructions from that on.

The only suggestion I have is to check for updates on the executor.
If fluxbox does not close after ff, you are doing it wrong.
It happened once that I lost the mouse, but after reboot it has worked again.

The only problem I have is an overscan issue that I hope can be fixed by another nvidia driver version.
vikjon0 Wrote:No, it works fine for me with Beta4.
Use the executor instead of launcher and follow the instructions from that on.

The only suggestion I have is to check for updates on the executor.
If fluxbox does not close after ff, you are doing it wrong.
It happened once that I lost the mouse, but after reboot it has worked again.

The only problem I have is an overscan issue that I hope can be fixed by another nvidia driver version.

Well, as I've already said, I get the same problem with executor and launcher, both are up to date.
The problem does not come from fluxbox/openbox not closing, that part is OK (I've checked, the processes aren't running after closing firefox). It's really going back to XBMC but XBMC is all black
What usb devices do you have plugged in? Like I said my TV dongle was causing my black screen and mouse issues.
PunkyMatt Wrote:It's really going back to XBMC but XBMC is all black

XBMC might be minimized. Maybe you see the black background screen of the X server. Try pressing '\'.
I don't have any USB devices on the XBMC box, and it's not a problem of minimized XBMC.

When Firefox is launched and I hit alt-tab to switch to windowed XBMC, I already have the blackscreen in "XBMC Media Center Window". As soon as openbox/fluxbox windowmanager starts, XBMC window becomes all black.
PunkyMatt Wrote:When Firefox is launched and I hit alt-tab to switch to windowed XBMC, I already have the blackscreen in "XBMC Media Center Window". As soon as openbox/fluxbox windowmanager starts, XBMC window becomes all black.

So you are saying that as soon as XBMC switches to windowed mode, it becomes black? If that is the case you can still give '\' a try, as this switches back to XBMC fullscreen mode.
Temar Wrote:So you are saying that as soon as XBMC switches to windowed mode, it becomes black? If that is the case you can still give '\' a try, as this switches back to XBMC fullscreen mode.

the switching back to fullscreen works, it's just that it stays black. I'll check if I see something in the log later.
Hi,

Hope someone can help me. I followed a guide on the forum on how to use Launcher/Executer using the following script. I am currently running XBMC live Dharma RC2.

@!/bin/bash
fluxbox &
"Name of App"
killall -9 fluxbox

This is working fine with Firefox and pptview however I can not get it work correctly with openoffice. When I try and launch openoffice the program flashes up on screen for just a millisecond and then reverts back to XBMC as if the program had stopped and started. However if I then run either the Firefox laucher or pptview and minimize them in fluxbox I can see that open office is running in the background.

So I can work around the problem but I don't undertsand why this is happening. I can close openoffice after launching one of the other scripts however navigating the program this way can be problematic and often causes the Firefox program to corrupt.

I have tried all scripts in both Executer and Launcher however the results are the same. I have the feeling I may be missing something simple as openoffice can obviously run however it needs tweaking to open and close properly by using it's own plugin.
Any help would be really appreciated.
sdsnyr94 Wrote:Just to throw in my 2 cents......

I am not using your script, or running firefox. I am using my own script to run an app called Squeezeplay so I can sync my music with my Squeezebox.

On Camelot on up to Dharma Beta 3 my script worked fine, and when exiting Squeezeplay it would go right back into XBMC. After updating to Beta 4, I get the black screen that z0mbi3 is talking about. The only way to recover is to stop/start xbmc-live or reboot the unit.

z0mbi3 - have you tried going back to an earlier Beta to see if it resolves your black screen issues?

sdsnyr94 - I'm trying to get squeezeplay working in a similar way, would you mind sharing your script and the rest of your setup?
@jonkeane - Let me see if I can throw together a quick How-To this weekend.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] HOW-TO launch applications from XBMC Live (e.g. Firefox)3