[WINDOWS] Advice on a new system
Hi

I've started having a problem where my system (AMD X2 3.2GHz CPU, Gigabyte MA78G, 3x1TB + 1x1.5TB HDD and TinyXP) started to stutter on Hi bitrate MKV's and has now spread to stuttering on standard definition stuff as well. Incidentally, if I unplug one of the HDD from the mobo the problem resolves itself but after unplugging each drive and trying them separately the problem is not related to a faulty HDD. I can only assume that the problem lies with my mobo (?SATA ports) or the CPU.

So I think I need to replace my mobo +/- CPU - My question is this: Could advise me on what combination to get? In a nutshell, I'm after a fast CPU that can handle Hi bitrate MKV's, a motherboard with onboard HDMI, and should I upgrade to windows 7? (I've been using XP for years now). The only purpose this new machine will have is to be a XBMC HTPC.

(I've tried Linux a few times and is too much hassle for me - so windows only solutions please!)

Cheers
You should not only upgrade to W7 but also get a GPU that supports DXVA2 offload by XBMC.

I'm runnin' a AMD X2 3800+/9400GT Silent 512MB combo and CPU load never goes above 18-20% when playing 1080p MKV's, no stutter what so ever not even in killer sample.

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
@xbs08 - Wow thanks man, hardware acceleration on windows!!!! How did I miss this?!?

Tried this on my current set up and although the problem is still there it has improved 10-fold and is easily watchable.

One last question - the frame dropping and stuttering is happening at random times and is not reproducible with the same file or related to the bitrate - I'm convinced this is a CPU/mobo problem - what do you think?
TheBigDog Wrote:One last question - the frame dropping and stuttering is happening at random times and is not reproducible with the same file or related to the bitrate - I'm convinced this is a CPU/mobo problem - what do you think?

Maybe a disk access problem?
Wasn't sure if it was a disk access problem, but changing the drive worked! - no more stutterBig Grin

Thanks for your help!!
TheBigDog Wrote:Wasn't sure if it was a disk access problem, but changing the drive worked! - no more stutterBig Grin

Thanks for your help!!

Glad to help. Same thing happened to me recently.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Advice on a new system0