[Live] LAN connection issues
Hi everyone, please forgive my noobyness if I am asking something with an obvious answer, but while I am fine with most windows computermabobs and the windows version of XBMC, I am treading into the murky unknown of Linux with XBMC Live so I am learning as I go.

Firstly I had probably best explain my setup:

I am running the 9.11 version of XBMC Live off of a 4gb SD card in an Acer Revo 36*0 (Cant remember if it's the 10 or not). The internal HDD boots using the stock install of windows 7 home premium and the unit connects via a HDMI cable to a Samsung 32'' LCD TV and via an ethernet cable to a NETGEAR DG834G v3 router.

In windows I am able to browse the net perfectly fine with no connection issues, and I am able to browse all of the files on my NAS storage without any issues. The NAS is a WD MyBook Essential 1tb connected via a USB NAS Dongle, see here if it helps to know...

I installed XBMC onto the SD card using a burned disc on a 2nd PC (one with both an optical drive and a card reader) and subsequently transferred the SD card to the Revo which booted perfectly (well it needed a little screen resizing but thats not serious). I then decided to try and add a new source, the movie directory on the NAS drive.

I selected browse from the popup screen, selected Windows Network (SMB) as I assumed this meant that I would connect to the network all the other PCs were on, double clicked, and got a message saying...

ERROR
Error 2: share not available

So I thought this was a little odd and I tried the weather service, thinking... ok maybe its just the connection to the NAS, check the rest of the net... I had no luck there either. I also got no items retrieved when i tried to use the SVN REPO INSTALLER to try and download any skins etc.

At this point I decided to turn to the fount of all knowledge... google... where I found This. Most notably the post:

Quote:I've had this same problem using XBMCLive and i've managed to find a fix for it.

Boot up into safe mode which gives you access to the terminal. User name is xbmc and password is xbmc. Then type sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces and press enter.

I deleted everything that was in there and changed it to this to set a static IP. There was some text at the top that i've deleted and can't remember what it was but i think it was this that was making my ETH1 connection be disabled. Once you've typed it in press CTRL X and Y to save your changes and then ENTER. Then it should work OK Took me ages to find the solution to this so I hope it helps someone

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.1.65
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254
dns-nameserver 192.168.1.254

Well I thought to myself, I have nothing to loose so I tried it and low and behold... Nothing, great...

Now to quote exactly what is on my screen I have:

Quote:# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces (5)

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.1.65
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254
dns-nameserver 192.168.1.254

If its because I didn't get rid of that first line i'll be kicking myself but I didn't want to risk mistyping if i deleted something important and had to put it back.

To run through the router details in case it helps,
the IP address is 192.168.0.1
DHCP is turned on
IP Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Oh and i tried to ping one of the other connected PCs (192.168.0.2) and all I got back was destination host unreachable over and over...

I really hope someone can help me find out what is going on so I can fix it, i'd hate to go back to relying on the windows version.

Cheers

Speedy
Small update after seeing a related thread (isleofman gave up and went back to a windows build but I'm still to stubborn for that)

system info - network information says:

Link: Not Connected
Mac Address:
IP address:
Subnet mask:
Gateway:
Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1
Secondary DNS:
Internet: not connected. Check network settings

I hope this helps shed some light on the problem as it's been driving me nuts! But I know one of you will know how to get me back online, so it's just a waiting game for you to see this post I suppose...

Cheers in advance,

Speedy
If you used dhcp with windows there is no reason not to do it in linux. I would recommend you to start over and try again with dhcp.

Of course you can try with static but you cant randomly create a eth1 instead of 0.
Also, the numbers that goes into the config is not random...I am guessing you dont have a gateway 192.168.1.254?
your /etc/network/interfaces should say
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and stop.
Unless you have 2 ethernet
ports which I doubt.

If that does not work, you have a weird problem.
Like e.g. no dhclient (--> try "dhclient" or "sudo dhclient" from shell and see what it says).

P.S. Your config above could never work. If your router is at 192.168.0.1 you must be at 192.168.0.something. Gateway and dns should probably point to 192.168.0.1. But if you're on 192.168.1.65 there's hardly a chance to see 192.168.0.1. Even then, how you configure eth1 will have no influence on anything unless you HAVE TWO ethernet ports and are trying to configure the SECOND one - eth0 being the FIRST.
thanks for the advice guys, I am in work right now so I can't test but last night I did try reverting to

Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

with no success, but following the advice you gave (and as the Revo only has 1 ethernet port) do you think the following would work?

Code:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.0.99
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1
dns-nameserver 192.168.0.1

I'll try "sudo dhclient" later on for you as well.

Thanks for all the help so far, I really appreciate it.

Speedy
Quote:do you think the following would work?
At least the numbers adds up now so there is hope Smile

Strange that dhcp does not work. I have never had any problem. I wonder if it is the router or something i corrupt in your installation.
I was surprised it didnt work too, its been fine with my windows 7 install on the same box so it has to be a software issue... at least in my head anyway... fingers crossed for later on I suppose!
Heya guys, I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the help, I finally got everything working as intended. It turns out the problem was due to the default settings saying to use eth0. As soon as I changed everything to eth1 everything worked!

Novice error I know but at least I can start to get everything working now... If only I could get xbmc to see my damn nas :p

cheers again

speedy
SpeedySloth Wrote:Heya guys, I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the help, I finally got everything working as intended. It turns out the problem was due to the default settings saying to use eth0. As soon as I changed everything to eth1 everything worked!

Novice error I know but at least I can start to get everything working now... If only I could get xbmc to see my damn nas :p

cheers again

speedy

Hi there,

It has been a while since your post but I am having a starge issue.

I am trying to configure my zotac zbox to use a fix ip address, but after modifying the "$ sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces" xbmc live will not start.

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated.

R.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] LAN connection issues0