[LIVE] Mount GPT NTFS drive
mkdir myfiles

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb2 myfiles

http://www.linuxconfig.org/How_to_mount_...ite_access

skip step "2.2. Identifying partition with NTFS file system", it uses fdisk and you are GPT.
failes to access mountpoint myfiles. No such file or directory

this is after i did a sudo mkdir /myfiles
You need to either run the mount command in the directory containing your mount point, or prefix the mount point in the command with a / and use the absolute path.
I concur with spbogie... also when you use the "mkdir command" do not use "sudo" in front of it. That will only give root access.

type this:

Code:
mkdir myfiles

then this:

Code:

Note that on the first command there is no sudo... and on both command there is no "/" before "myfiles".

Jerry
jawilljr Wrote:I concur with spbogie... also when you use the "mkdir command" do not use "sudo" in front of it. That will only give root access.

type this:

Code:
mkdir myfiles

then this:

Code:

Note that on the first command there is no sudo... and on both command there is no "/" before "myfiles".

Jerry
That time I got no errors. But when I went to reboot the mount didn't stick. Do I have to create a script to mount it every time?
LTParis Wrote:That time I got no errors. But when I went to reboot the mount didn't stick. Do I have to create a script to mount it every time?

Now you need to edit fstab.

The below information I am assuming you were in the the home directory when you made the myfiles directory.

Type this in the terminal:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

Then add the following line to the end of the file:

Code:
/dev/sdb2 /home/user/myfiles ntfs defaults 0 0

Note you have to change "user" in /home/user/myfiles to whatever the user name is. I believe the username in XBMC Live is XBMC... I do not know since I use the full Ubuntu.

After that use "Ctrl-x" then Y to save the file.

Then type this:

Code:
sudo mount -a

Then try to access the partition... and of course reboot to see if it sticks.

Jerry
I also had to remote the "nodiskmount" from menu.lst, but it worked like a charm!
Hey, everyone. I bought a 1.5 TB internal SATA drive that I put in a USB hard disk enclosure and plugged into my Acer Aspire Revo 1600 that is running XBMC Live.

I ran:
Code:
sudo blkid

And saw that the drive was under sdb1 so I ran:

Code:
mkdir myfiles
sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 myfiles

Then ran:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

And added "/dev/sdb1 /home/user/myfiles ntfs defaults 0 0" at the end of the file. However, I am not seeing anything within the myfiles directory (I had put a text file in there from my Windows PC to test it)... So I'm assuming I'm not mounting it correctly. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Also, I want to use this as a read/write drive because I download from the XBMC Live machine itself and would like to download onto the hard disk... So, let me know if there's something different I have to do for that.

Thanks!
Anybody who could help a noob out with the problem listed above? It's making my enclosure and 1.5 TB hard drive pretty useless since I can't figure this out.
luger Wrote:Anybody who could help a noob out with the problem listed above? It's making my enclosure and 1.5 TB hard drive pretty useless since I can't figure this out.

Try typing the below command:

Code:
sudo mount -a

Then try to access the 'myfiles' directory.

Also could you please post the output of:

Code:
cat /etc/fstab

Jerry
Well, now it seems that I can see the file in the folder after I manually mount it but much like the previous poster, it doesn't stick when I reboot. I'd have to go in and mount again by hand. I want it to be mounted at startup and I've changed the menu.lst to remove the mentions of nodiskmount within it.

I can post the output of cat /etc/fstab but since the problem seems to have changed, it may not be what you need now. But, do let me know if you want me to post it!
This is where I won't be much help... but does this post help?

Sorry I don't use XBMC Live... I prefer the full version of Ubuntu.

Jerry
Unfortunately not. I'll keep digging along and see if I can find a solution... Otherwise, I may be forced into doing an Ubuntu install.

Thanks for the help though!
No problem... there is one more thing you can try.

Type this in the command line:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/rc.local

and copy and paste this before the 'exit 0' line:

Code:
sleep 30 && mount -a

The reason I put sleep 30 seconds before executing the mount command is to make sure everything is up and running before executing it. You can always try lowering the number.

Jerry
luger Wrote:Well, now it seems that I can see the file in the folder after I manually mount it but much like the previous poster, it doesn't stick when I reboot. I'd have to go in and mount again by hand. I want it to be mounted at startup and I've changed the menu.lst to remove the mentions of nodiskmount within it.

I can post the output of cat /etc/fstab but since the problem seems to have changed, it may not be what you need now. But, do let me know if you want me to post it!

I think because its an external hard drive you will have to delete the nodiskmount from the menu.lst
Press THANK USER if I Help

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LIVE] Mount GPT NTFS drive0