How to upgrade to a specific build?
How can I upgrade my Live installation to a specific build that isn't the most current (ex: Live r28256)?

I've been playing with the centralized db's and I have it working on one of my boxes. That one just happened to be at r28256. Now I want to set up tmy other box, but it is running 9.11 final and has never been updated. From what I've read. I need a newer build to enable the centralized db, but it's not recommended to go current due to the merge? Is there a way to upgrade to r28256 specifically?

Also, is there a way to copy the build from the one machine to the other? They aren't identical machines, but they both use the same settings.
sudo apt-get install xbmc=[svnVERSION]
Should work from what I understand, but it never did when I tested.

You can download manually from launchpad and
sudo dpkg -i xbmc-common_9.04.2+svn22278-jaunty1_i386.deb xbmc-skin-pm3-hd_9.04.2+svn22278-jaunty1_i386.deb xbmc-web-pm3_9.04.2+svn22278-jaunty1_i386.deb
I'm a bit lost on that. Where do I find a specific build on Launchpad? Also, I need a Live version.
Quote:I'm a bit lost on that. Where do I find a specific build on Launchpad? Also, I need a Live version.

For the moment there is no official daily builds of of the Live iso, but it is not a bad question. Ubuntu has it and if understood what I read in another thread correctly it may come soon to xbmc.
You need download stable Live and then upgrade it manually.

You should be able to figure it out on launchpad by browsing around. BUT:
Quote:Also, is there a way to copy the build from the one machine to the other?
The xbmc package on the other machine is probably still in the apt cache unless you have manually cleaned it. I dont know the path by heart but google should tell you. then you copy the .deb files to the new machine and do the dpkg stuff.
OK. I think I found it. On Launchpad I found:

xbmc-live_9.11+svn28256-karmic1_all.deb
xbmc-skin-pm3-hd_9.11+svn28256-karmic1_all.deb
xbmc-web-pm3_9.11+svn27758-karmic1_all.deb

I assume this is what I need to upgrade Live? I notice the web-pm3 is only svn27758. Does it matter that it's not svn28526 like the other two? And are these the only 3 that I need to properly upgrade Live?
Can anyone tell me if these are all I need to upgrade Live to r28256? Do I need to worry that the revision is different on the web_pm3 or that the live_9.11 doesn't say common? I'd like to avoid trashing my current install if these aren't what I need to upgrade.
Here is the link to what I found:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-svn/p...in/x/xbmc/

Let me know if there are others in there that I need.
Ok, since you are obv. struggling with this why dont you either re-install both with xbmcLive 9.11 or put this on hold a couple weeks until the next live is released?
re-installning both would take much less time than you have already spent.
The centralized db feature wasn't implemented until r28142 so Live 9.11 wouldn't help me at all. In fact the machine I'm trying to upgrade is already running the last stable Live 9.11.

Where has it been said that the next Live release will be in a couple weeks. They are notoriously few and far between and the XBMC company line with with regards to timelines is, "it'll be done when it's done". All of that gives me no reason to expect anything soon although it's possible it could be tomorrow.

You're correct I'm struggling with this, but that's because I'm new to Linux and I don't understand the process of upgrading this way. I don't know which files are necessary and what they are really for. I'm not concerned with the time I'm spending on this, I would just like to have my central db up and running on both my machines and to do that I need to get to a newer revision on my one box.

I was hoping that someone who understands this could lend a helping hand much as you have done thus far. I can't help it that my limited understanding of this makes it so that sometimes after receiving help I still get stuck or have more questions. I think I know what to do now, I just need to know which are the pertinent files.
RockDawg Wrote:Where has it been said that the next Live release will be in a couple weeks. They are notoriously few and far between and the XBMC company line with with regards to timelines is, "it'll be done when it's done". All of that gives me no reason to expect anything soon although it's possible it could be tomorrow..

You can get pretty good indication to when the next release is close by checking the roadmap at http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap
Elih Wrote:You can get pretty good indication to when the next release is close by checking the roadmap at http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap

Thanks for the info. I hadn't seen that before. What's odd is that just the other day I saw aske when the next Live would be released and a dev replied with the usual "it'll be done when it's done". I wonder why he didn't just link to that. Thanks again!

Although I'm still up for learning which of the files in the link I posted are needed for upgrading XBMC Live.
I went ahead and tried it, but obviously I used the wrong files or something. Here is what I did and what it returned.

Code:
root@XBMCLive:/home# dpkg -i xbmc-live_9.11+svn28256-karmic1_all.deb xbmc-skin-pm3-hd_9.11+svn28256-karmic1_all.deb xbmc-web-pm3_9.11+svn27758-karmic1_all.deb
(Reading database ... 45138 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace xbmc-live 9.11~beta1-karmic2 (using xbmc-live_9.11+svn28256-karmic1_all.deb) ...
xbmc-live stop/waiting
Unpacking replacement xbmc-live ...
Preparing to replace xbmc-skin-pm3-hd 9.11~beta1-karmic2 (using xbmc-skin-pm3-hd_9.11+svn28256-karmic1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbmc-skin-pm3-hd ...
Preparing to replace xbmc-web-pm3 9.11~beta1-karmic2 (using xbmc-web-pm3_9.11+svn27758-karmic1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement xbmc-web-pm3 ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xbmc-live:
xbmc-live depends on xbmc-standalone (= 1:9.11+svn28256-karmic1); however:
  Version of xbmc-standalone on system is 9.11~beta1-karmic2.
xbmc-live depends on devicekit-disks; however:
  Package devicekit-disks is not installed.
xbmc-live depends on devicekit-power; however:
  Package devicekit-power is not installed.
dpkg: error processing xbmc-live (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xbmc-skin-pm3-hd:
xbmc-skin-pm3-hd depends on xbmc-data (= 1:9.11+svn28256-karmic1); however:
  Package xbmc-data is not installed.
xbmc-skin-pm3-hd depends on ttf-liberation; however:
  Package ttf-liberation is not installed.
dpkg: error processing xbmc-skin-pm3-hd (--install):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of xbmc-web-pm3:
xbmc-web-pm3 depends on xbmc-data (= 1:9.11+svn27758-karmic1); however:
  Package xbmc-data is not installed.
dpkg: error processing xbmc-web-pm3 (--install):
Errors were encountered while processing:
xbmc-live
xbmc-skin-pm3-hd
xbmc-web-pm3
root@XBMCLive:/home#
Looks like you are missing a couple packages: xbmc-data, devicekits-disks and devicekits-power. You also may need to remove xbmc-standalone.
Quote:it'll be done when it's done"
Yes, thats what they always say Smile. I guess they want to stress that this is done on their spare time.

I think they normally aim for one month after the ubuntu release. 9.10 => 9.11 and now 10.4 => 10.5. No garantees of course.

Perhaps it is easier to install on a clean machine? Install ubuntu minimal and follow the xbmcbuntu guide (but dont install xbmc from ppa). If you then install the downloaded .deb and something is missing you can automatically fix that by "apt-get upgrade -f".

You still have to find all the xbmc .deb first of course. Not sure how to do that unless you can check the apt chache on the other machine as I suggested earlier.
check if you have the xbmc .deb in /var/cache/apt/archives

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to upgrade to a specific build?0