[WINDOWS] Resolution question
This probably doesn't have anything to do with XBMC, but a general Windows 7 question, but I'm hoping someone can help me or point me in the right direction to find more info.

I'm currently using a Sony KDS60A3000 television which supports full 1080p video. When I hook up my Windows 7 htpc it accurately detects the Sony TV and sets the resolution to 1920 x 1080 60Hz but it appears that the desktop is too large for the screen (you can't see the start button, etc.). Is this called over scan or under scan? Anyway, I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to adjust either my pc or the television settings to fix this, but can't get it to work right. It seems that it should just work automatically as I have other devices (PS3, TiVoHD, etc. through HDMI) connected to the TV and have never seen this problem and never had to adjust anything (other than PQ not relating to the size or position).

So, I'm hoping that I'm just missing something obvious. I'm using a Zotac MB with the nVidia chip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you are connected over HDMI, the nVidia control center has a setting for "Resize HDTV Desktop", where you can adjust for the overscan.
langmarker Wrote:If you are connected over HDMI, the nVidia control center has a setting for "Resize HDTV Desktop", where you can adjust for the overscan.

I believe I did try this but it really messes with the refresh rate and doesn't look right when I apply the changes. I'll give it another try tonight and see if I'm not doing something wrong.

Thanks for the suggestion.
The same happens with my Samsung TV and linux desktop. I have set the tv's "size" mode to "just scan" and now it's ok (the setting is remembered for the specific hdmi connection).
What is the standard 1080p scan rate? Is it supposed to be 60Hz? I've seen some posts mentioning some strange values like 48 or 59? Is the scan rate independent of each brand or model of TV/monitor?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WINDOWS] Resolution question0